Fight or Flight Therapy ... Looking for input, please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kalina, Jul 1, 2006.

1. kalina

kalina New Member

I just posted last night about my sister wanting to help get me some various types of alternative health care that she has access to. These therapies would concentrate more on my physical symptoms and would cost me nothing. (YES!)

There is one treatment she is looking into called "Fight or Flight Therapy" developed by Dr. M. Stuart Tessler that would be an out-of-pocket cost to me if I did it. She says she isn't yet convinced one way or another, and wants me to ask my message board friends if anyone has ever tried this or has heard anything about it, pro or con.

I have been to the web site (Google quote above). It doesn't mention CFS specifically, but it claims to help with the stress response, depression, concentration/focus, hypersensitivity, and becoming more open to healing. It is supposed to work WITH other therapies to increase their effectiveness.

Any responses (direct experience or thoughts) are appreciated! Thanks!

Kalina
  2. kalina

kalina New Member

I agree with you that mindfulness meditation can be helpful. I just got two meditation CDs earlier this week that I had ordered from Amazon. I think it will probably take me a while to get the full benefit -- I've been using them every day! This has helped me before to some degree.

Anyway, according to the Fight or Flight Therapy web site, it says it is NOT:

* Coping skills or behavior modification
    * EMDR
    * Light box therapy for SAD
    * Meditation or breathing exercises
    * Relaxation technique

However, it's hard to tell what it IS. From the web site:

"Many people have found help with a remarkably simple new light therapy called Fight or FLIGHT THERAPY™. Specific wavelengths of light are viewed comfortably through the eyes. The light travels directly into the nervous system, gently shifting aspects of ‘fight or flight’ back toward normal."

Huh?

Kalina
  3. kalina

kalina New Member

4. marta

marta New Member

I think it would depend on the cost and the total length of treatments. If it was open-ended, I might not do it. I'm sorry, I don't have time right now to go to the site... But I've heard of some good results with F or F therapies so don't discount it.

Marta
  5. kalina

kalina New Member

Thanks so much for your input!

Haleycole, I can only imagine how hard it must be for you to deal with your in-laws. It does sound like gone too far! I hear what you are saying, and will take it into consideration. I'm more of a skeptic too when it comes to the one-size-fits-all approach to fixing problems. Sometimes it's hard to know what might help and what is BS.

Marta, good point. I just talked to my sister, and she says this IS a closed-ended therapy lasting about 3-4 months. The cost is about $1,500. I don't know whether or not to consider that TOO much money -- after all, I've been an FFC patient for over a year! :) I've been shelling out the big bucks for treatment that definitely hasn't helped.

If anyone else has an opinion on trying Fight or Flight therapy, I would love to hear from you!

Kalina
  6. kalina

kalina New Member

I appreciate your suggestion! I've had no luck looking elsewhere.

My sister is getting some of my other treatments at no cost to me, but this is the only one that would have to be paid from my pocket.

This type of light therapy isn't anything she has any direct experience with. She got the referral from a patient who raved about iit and said it was the best thing she's ever tried.

But iit seems like a lot of money for something we can't find much information on.

Kalina