Fight4acure - My Neck update..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I am having a flare but......

I finally slept okay last night and must have slept the wrong way (go figure)... I have not been able to lift my head up or down or left or right. I can do it a little, just very limited range of motion. I feel it about 4 or 5 inches down from the center of my neck, in my back. It seems to be getting worse as the day has gone on. Even hurts if I take too deep of a breath.

Anyone have any ideas on relief? Pain meds won't cut it and I have been using heat on it all day.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank You!
    Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I have those Hot/cold thingies you can put on the area that hurts. I never thought it would work when my neck got that way one day- heck- the pain meds wouldn't even help! But, voila' after wearing it for a couple of hours the tension that triggered a myriad of stuff on top of it went away. let me look in my cupboard,,,running to the kitchen,,,,,ah, "Icy/hot patch" plain and simple!

It's worth a try. When I get this pain, I can't turn my head to back up the car, and it does get worse as the day pass.

[This Message was Edited on 10/29/2006]
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

lenasvn... YOu know EXACTLY what I am talking about - OMG hurts sooooo bad. Pills are not touching a thing. I do not have those patches but I do have the lidocaine patch - you just reminded me of that. I will try that and maybe some ice.

I guess I should not worry about calling the back doc just yet - and see if that will help. I will get some ICY HOT patches tomorrow.

Thanks for replying... needed to know someone cared :)
    HUGS to You
    Kim
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Awwww, I'm glad to hear that! If you have tiger balm (stinky!) that could help too, maybe. It seem the patch helps the skin absorb the medication better. When you go to bed tonight you will want some of that pain gone. Good luck (I am so glad I don't have it,,, and sorry you do)!
  5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Have you ever had this happen in the past? I'm asking because isn't an early symptom of spinal memingitis that you can't move your head? I'm not a doctor. My friend's little girl got spinal meningitis. I seem to remember the stiff neck thing.

I'm sure there are a whole bunch of other reasons that you can get a stiff neck besides mengitis. I just thought I'd mention that.
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Wow - it is still killing me today...
    Joyfully - Thank you. Boy I hope that is not what it is, but I will keep an eye on it. I have NOT had this happen before... just some stiffness, but not like this. Thank you for writing to me :) Hugs

fight4acure - I am doing ice off and on and have a heat wrap around it now. I tried to drive, but OUCH. Can't turn my head. I think I would benefit from something for the inflammation. Unfortunately I cannot take motrin or other over the counter AI's because I take coumadin (blood thinner).

YOu bring up a good point as far as the viral thing... It is kinda weird that the day before this happened I had a huge swollen lymph node on my neck (still do) and my hands swelled up (still are)... They are very stiff and sore too. I am wondering if I should call my bac doc, maybe hoe could give me some other kind of antiinflammatory. It shoots down to my upper back. It also affects when I move my arms and feels like someone is squezzing my neck and jaws (so tight).

Thank you all so much for the advice. I need this to go away!

Big Hugs
    Kim
  7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

hi figt4acure... You may have been right. I went to the doc today. She saw the swollen lymph node and thinks I have a virus (by the way my throat is bad now too).

She gave me a strong antibiotic for it (which I had a reaction from) and decided to change it to the Z pack. She saw my swollen hands and weird vein things and mentioned vasculitis... Still very puzzled by my neck and went ahead and blamed it on good 'ole fibro & the virus.

I atleast have a little answere and am glad I am taking something that may help... boy do i need it!!

Just an update.
    Thanks
    Kim