fighting depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by najerry, Apr 9, 2006.

1. najerry

najerry New Member

Hi all, haven't been on the board for a long time. I was laid off my second job in Oct. Went to an attorney and am prosessing the disability route. The problem is since I stopped working, I 've become worse. Changed docs 2x. One only wanted my on steroids and would not write reports for disability.Now I going to a new rheumy..he rx aquatic therapy.....then he said he probably change prozac to cymbalta next time. I'm really getting so depressed not working being in pain and no real help. Anyone have suggestions???? Ive been rx vicodan which I take sometimes, but mostly aspirin.
    This new Dr lectured me on the fact that my pain thermastate is messes up.
    Does any of this make sense or do a need a phsychatist to give me mor meds.
    I knoe thr disability will take long but in the mean time i need hrlp feeling better. I'm in s.Florida any suggestions please??? Sorry I'm very mixed up.
  2. taniazcatz

taniazcatz New Member

I understand how you feel right now and I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. It sucks, I know because I've been in a similar situation. I believe that you need to start on an anti-depressant as soon as you can. Depression has a big part in this illness. I have FMS and lupus and I'm also a nurse. I went through a phase right after I quit my job where my depression got pretty bad. I was not suicidal, but I was very tired of being sick. It seems like FMS takes so much from those who have it. You may need to find another doctor, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to see a psychiatrist mainly because they know the anti-depressant a lot better than most rheumatologists. YOu will get through this phase and you will feel better. Right now I know that you are probably doubting that, but it's true. We all deal with this is some form and remeber you can always come here and find people who will listen who actually have a clue as to how you are really feeling. I really hope you feel better. Good luck with your disability claim.

Sincerely,
    Tanya