Filing for Bankruptcy...what do I need to look for?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, Aug 28, 2005.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I have to file for bankruptcy as I just do not see myself working again anytime soon, and my state disability does not pay much to help me with my bills.

Do you have any advice or tips? I have looked up some attorneys in the yellow pages but not sure what I am necessarily looking for or what to watch out for. Do you know how long it takes to do? I am looking to start the process early next month before the rules change. I also don't have any assets, just furniture I own, and my rubber stamps.

Also not sure about average fees and if they will do payment plans.

Let me know.

Thanks!
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

just call attorney's office and ask them our questions.

but i think you're going ot have to come up w/the money to file with the attorney. you are entitile to a certain amount of assets w/includes cash. yes the bk laws do change in ocotber.

you could file this all yourself. but i reccomend using an attorney if you can afford it, less stressful for you but if you can do all the paperwork then fine.

well dood luck.

jodie
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

that specializes in bankruptcy. When asking what they charge be sure to ask what the filing fees are too.
  4. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

you can always call the legal line for the state you live in and get a bankruptcy for free + the cost of court fees instead of $1,000 to the lawyer and court fees.

When I got divorced and my pitiful SS check could't cut it I had no choice. I also didn't have $1,000 to pay an attorny.

Call legal aid and see what they can do to help you.

good lluck.
    michele