Filing for Disability how many years of records should I get?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bren2135, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Bren2135

Bren2135 New Member

Hi Friends,

I need your advice. It's time: After many years of struggling, and lost jobs, I've decided to file for disability, and have some questions:

1. Do I need my initial diagnosis, from 15 years ago?
    2. Should I ask for a comprehensive report from all doctors,
    even those who treat my other medical conditions? (GI,
    GYN)
    3. Can I 'back-track', and file from the date I began
    working part-time due to FM? (one year ago)

I appreciate any tips/suggestions you can offer.

Hugs,
    Brenda
  2. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Yes, get anything and EVERYTHING that applies to why you're filing now.

It never hurts to overload them, rather than having something really importaint missing, then you'll be turned down, and have to back track.

I'm sure you know that most disability cases take up to 2 years from beginning to end, but some are luckier and get approved right away.

If you are turned down your first try, I'd highly recommend you get a SSD lawyer. They don't charge you until you've gotten your back pay, and there is a cap on how much they can charge.

Good luck! It's such a relief to finally get approved, but sometimes it can be a very long, lonely fight.

As I said, get EVERYTHING that applies to why you're filing-psychiatric notes are REALLY important! If you don't have any, I'd suggest you make an appointment with a psychologist/psychiatrist and start getting some records on file ASAP! PG
  3. kittycamcj

kittycamcj New Member

it took me 2 years, and we did get a lawyer, but we did most of the work. get all the records you can, better to have more than you need, than not enough. you also get paid for the time you are waiting, so if it takes 2 years, you will get paid the 2 years you are waiting. i am so glad i applied, because the way i feel, i wouldn't be able to hold down a job.
    good luck,
    carol
  4. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

is MINUS the 6 month's waiting period that you have before you file. Just an FYI.
  5. deannabelt

deannabelt New Member

get as many of your records as poosible if you have a good doctor on your side it won't take to long. with my doctors help i had mine in 7 months without a lawyer good luck
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Brenda:

In my case SSA took the initial interview (and opening of a case) by phone.

Then: they sent me paperwork to fill out and releases to be signed so that they could get my records.

So, I would check to see if you really have to do all that work.

Like I said, in my case I did not have to collect any medical records to officially 'open' the case.

nyrofan