Filing for Disability Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scrapkat, Jul 14, 2003.

1. scrapkat

scrapkat New Member

Thanks to those of you that welcomed me to the board. I've spent a lot of time reading posts since then. Last week I had to go to my first counseling session and on the way I stopped and got the forms I need to fill out for filing for disability. (BTW - I am in Michigan). Anyway, here is my question - is it better to have a phone interview or in person interview with them? My dr is also aware that I am filing and fully supports me. Plus I have an appointment with a rhumatologist Wednesday. I am also going to try to get a copy of my file from work (I am on STD currenlty but don't intend to return). Thanks for any insight.

Scrapkat
  2. shazz

shazz New Member

She noticed that when she helped me fill out the paperwork that I was shifting around alot, unable to get comfortable in the chair. She said she wanted them to see that and was hoping that the intake worker would note it.
    I also started bawling, which I apologized for, but Toni told me that actually might be a good thing for my case.
    So each has it's advantages and disadvantages. The line wasn't that long when I was there, and the lady who took my app was actually pleasant.
    I guess whatever you feel more comfortable with is the way to go.
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

mainly because I was too sick to go in. I was worried that if I made an appointment I wouldn't be able to keep it. I agree with what FMQUEEN said, what it really comes down to is what the Judge decides. Most people get turned down the first two times anyway, so why worry about an in office interview? I would do whatever you are most comfortable with and what ever it is that will cause you less stress.

Dara
  4. NutsInAlabama

NutsInAlabama New Member

I also do not think it matters. The decision is not made by the interviewer. I filed mine over the phone and they were absolutely wonderful
    Good luck and do what makes ya feel better

Deb
    NutsInAlabama
  5. hurthawk

hurthawk New Member

First of all welcome to the board. I hardly ever post, but I wanted to give you some hope. I applied for SS Disability 5 weeks ago and already have my back pay check in my checking account. I just knew I would be doing the 2 yr. Lawyer thing myself, but I have heard that they are changing things with SS and obviously for the better. I think the things that got me through were, just be as honest as possible. I have seen every doctor and tests done in the last 6 months that I could have done. I was told that if everything was current within the last 6 months it is a lot easier for them to make a decision. I also opted for a phone interview which all she did was verify my work history, age, etc. I also filled out my application online, I don't know if that made a difference or not, but they are into save the paper thing. I am in Texas and it seems like pple that applied 2 or 3 yrs ago it took them forever to get approved, appeals, lawyers, etc. Then pple that have applied in the last 6 months or so get approved right away. Good Luck and don't stress over it, whatever happens is going to happen, more stress is not going to help the way you feel.
    Cinthy

[ advertisement ]