Finally added Photo To My Profile

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Feb 22, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Photo is of hubby and myself at the New York Auto Show. Fun times!!

2. sisland

sisland New Member

Nice Looking Couple!! Thanks for sharing with us! oh Yeah and you guys look really happy too!,,,,,Sis
  3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

What a great looking couple!! I don't think we have met yet. Hope to talk to you more in the future. Thanks for posting the photo, I am enjoying looking at everyone's pics. Kim :)
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

P.S. You look identical to a Gal i used to work with! Her Name was Bobbie! Except her hair was shorter,,,lol,,just letting you know you have a twin in Montana!,,,,lol,,,Sis
  5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

and twinofdar, I so wish 47 was a typo. Hubby and I will both be 48 soon!!! He's five days older than me, so I only hav a few opportune days to torment him!! We will be married 24 years this year and couldn't be happier. We laugh ALOT and don't take ourselves too seriously!!!

Love, Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2008]
  6. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

You two look great together, you are both so goodlooking and look so happy. I see you have 3 daughters. I love having daughters, but our poor husbands, LOL

Just kidding, my husband wouldn't trade his girls in for anything.

Thanks for sharing
  7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

sometimes I feel sorry for my hubby; he grew up with no sisters, a brother 10 years older than him, and was raised by elderly parents in a quiet little house. Now he has me and the three girls to deal with. Sometimes he would just be astounded by the drama, constant talking, doors slamming, and the noise levels. He has the patience of a saint and he dotes (and should I say spoils) all three of them--okay and me too. And he love every minute of having his girls!!

[This Message was Edited on 02/22/2008]
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

What a beautiful pic, thanks for posting!!

9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you and your husband make a very handsome couple.

Love the photo.

10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Great picture!!!

Your comments on your hubby having only one brother 10 years older than him sounds like my family! I have a 24 year old and a 14 year old!!

So my youngest is being raised by "elderly parents" too!! Our house is not so quite though! We tease my son that he will have to take care of us when we get real old.

I have a pic of them in my profile too. With my grand daughter too.

Your house sounds like a very happy household! You are very lucky.

11. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

what a great photo in your profile!! Your family looks wonderful.

My hubby is actually 47 and his mother is 93; she was 46 when she had him! Believe it or not, my husband's older brother lives 800 miles away, and they are still very close. Miles and age can't seperate them. I think that's great!!!

I've read some of your posts with interest in the past because I am the mother of identical twin girls. They're 18 now, away at college, split up for the first time and their bond is still as strong as ever!! Good to know there's twins on the board!

Hugs, Laura
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am glad you are enjoying your family son is graduating this year seems like he was just born...i think the empty nest syndrome is going to hit me this summer.

part me can't wait to not have the extra messes to clean up then i know down the road i will be saying i wished i had him around..

13. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

So nice to meet you too.

I will tell you, the girls leaving for college was not the easiest transition. It was (and sometimes still is) a difficult process. On the plus side, I do not miss the extra cooking, laundry, drama, noise, door slamming, coming in late and waking me up at 1 A.M., cooking seperate foods because they'r both vegans, driving them to work at record speed because they're, late,etc. I do miss their laughter, intelligence, and infectious spirit!! I sometimes walk past their bedrooms and have to close the door because it pains me to see their rooms so neat and lifeless--untouched. But I keep telling myself they'll be back (which they always are) and they'll call (which they always do). I will tell you that my friends with sons do not seem to hear from the boys as much as they hear from their daughters. It's probably just a boy thing.

Anyway, there's transitions for you and for him, some good, some sad. Try not to go to the sad place, it can really make your condition worse. Instead, try and think positive and take pride in the education that you're giving him. Tell yourself your giving him the life you always wanted for him and rejoice in your accomplishment!!
    And, as always, reach out to your friends here if your feeling down. We're here for you.

Be well--Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2008]
  14. kjade

kjade New Member

That is a lovely photo of you and your husband. You are a very attractive couple!

I just read your last post about your daughters leaving home, and it made me so sad. My kids are only 8, 5 and 2....I am constantly complaining about their messes and how sick I am of cleaning up after is ALL I DO! And yet....I know the day will come that they will be gone, and I will long for these days.

It brought tears to my eyes when I read about how you have to just close their bedroom doors when you walk by - I can only imagine how hard that must be. But you know you raised wonderful children, and you can be secure in the knowledge that they will carry everything you have taught them throughout their lives. You must be very proud.

I always wondered what it would be like to have twins...I was talking to my dh about it, and he said "no way - it would just be twice the aggravation". He said they would always be messing with us - like pretending one is the other or something. I told him we would know the difference between them - I went to school with 2 sets of identical twins, and I always knew which one was which.

Sorry to ramble....I just wanted to tell you I thought your picture is beautiful.
  15. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for your sweetheart of a reply!!!

Getting used to the girls being gone is huge; not gonna lie. Saying goodbye to them was bad; watching them say goodbye to each other, sobbing in each others arms, was worse. However, sometimes there's so much drama with them being away--accounts overdrawn, keeping late hours, emergency room visits, etc. Some of my friends who have college age kids who are home wish they were away. You can't realize it now, but you get too old and too tired to deal with their stuff!! I came to realize this when they were like 16 (driving age is 17+ here--one twin still doesn't drive--hates it) and I was going out at like 1:30 or so in the morning to pick them up, that I was getting too old for all this! Plus, it seemed like I was always the pick up parent, never the driver, so I (or hubby) would get stuck going out to get them. And you know, that was about the time the insomnia started for me and the fibro got worse.
    As sad as it is to say, I sometimes feel more rested when they're away, and the thought of that can sometimes make me cry. Sometimes, I watch the girl across the street from me getting frustrated with her little ones, and I think to myself, "Honey, these are the best times. Don't sweat the small stuff."

Anyway, with the girls away, each and every day they continue to make us proud and that's what I like to focus on. They're only freshmen, but already have established journalistic credentials. One daughter actually interviewed a MAJOR designer for April's CosmoGirl and the other was asked to act as PR director for her college's radio station after just one semester. They were always involved in Girl Scouts, were Gold Award recipients and carry a community service oriented persona with them wherever they go. Spring break--they'r off to New Orleans to help with the rebuilding!! My point is, they are the individuals we had always hoped they would be. Them being away is part of the price we pay for wanting them to go out into the world and do great things.

On the lighter side, someone asked me when they were little what it was like to raise twins. I told them it was like your kid had a playdate that never went home-- for the rest of their life. They did pull some funny twin stuff as they were growing up--at their middle school awards ceremony, when one twin's name was called to come up to the stage and get her awards, the other one went up, shaking hands with the principal and all their teachers who didn't have a clue. All their friends knew though, and were hysterical laughing. I shook my head and had to laugh. Another time, 9th grade, they didn't care for the way their yearbook photo's came out, but only one of them was available on retake day. So one of them went in and had her photo retaken of herself; came out, took off her sweatshirt, shook her hair to repart it on the side, and went righ back in the room and had her picture taken pretending to be her sister. The photograpehr didn't supect a thing--so that year's yearbook has a photo of one twin twice! As long as it was innocent fun, we didn't care.

Finally, I always remind my youngest daughter, even though the girls are away, she has enough obnoxious in her for three children!! She thinks that's hilarious.

Thanks again for such a nice compliment on the photo. And remember to enjoy your husband, your kids,LAUGH ALOT and the heck with everyone and everything else!!

16. kjade

kjade New Member

When I was reading what you wrote about what it was like when your kids were 16, and how you had to run out to pick them up and stuff, it reminded me of a girl at work who is having this same issue. Her son works at a restaurant, and she has to pick him up at crazy hours. So she tries to take evening naps because once she gets him (usually at 1 am on a work night) she can't go back to sleep. I worry about her, because I already know what lack of sleep can do to someone.

Oh...I am NOT looking forward to those years, for sure. I already worry about my kids TOO much - to the point of obsession sometimes. Being a mom is definitely the hardest job EVER on the planet! I don't care what anybody I work full-time and manage this household. Actually I work about 5 full-time jobs, come to think of it!

I know they will grow so quickly and be gone before I know it. My oldest is already showing signs that he's not my 'baby' anymore. But he is the sweetest, most polite kid, and I am so proud. My second son just lost his 1st tooth the other day (you would have thought the world was ending, the way he reacted) but it made me sad. Everytime they lose a tooth, (this sounds silly I know) it feels like they are one step closer to growing up and away.

I know I get so frustrated with the messes and the constant work, and I TRY (notice I said "try") not to let these things bother me, but I am such a perfectionist, and it can be hard. Plus trying to be a great mom with Fibro makes it much, much harder.

WOW - your daughters seem to be doing great! It's good to hear about college freshmen who are doing good things when they are starting out, and not just going away to party. That's cool they are going to New Orleans to help rebuild. You must just be bursting with pride. Oh, and you still have a 14 y/o at home? See, you get to go through all of that again!

I have another question about raising twins that I have always wondered....what is it like when they are newborns, and you are up all night with them? I know I felt like I was going to die from the sleep deprivation with each of mine, and I only had to worry about one! Do they wake at the same times? That might make it easier, I would think, but how did you do it? I think I would lose my mind!

Well, I think I have carried on enough here (I have a tendency to ramble) so I will stop. But I also wanted to look so good and way too young to have 18 yr olds! What is your secret?
  17. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

When the twins were infants, it was really tough. I had no help from anyone other than my hubby, and the twins were collicky. I/we was up with a baby every 45 minutes for three month straight. With the colic, at about three weeks old, they both started to cry everyday, at around 4 p.m. and didn't stop until between 11 and 1 a.m. I was up every 45 minutes because they ate at different times, every three hours, ate slowly and took awhile to get back to sleep. By the time one baby was down, about 45 min- utes later the other one was up. This lasted for three solid months until they slept through the night. They were full term babies, only a week early, and weighed 7 lbs. 5 oz and 6 lbs 3 oz respectively so they weren't plagued with some of the usual problems twins can have, thank God. Once they slept through the night, it was a piece of cake. Sleep deprivation is the worst thing that could ever happen to a person, and with fibro we know that all too well.

Do yourself a favor, take it from someone older, at the end of the day being a perfectionist about everything is not going to get you anything but aggravated. I was like that for the longest time, always yelling at the girls about their rooms, and man, their rooms were seriously bad. But the summer before they left for college, I decided not to say one single, solitary word about the condition of their rooms--and I'm talking mountains of clothes, chunks of things that look like they could move, the cat backing out of one twin's room and running back down the stairs it was so bad. Sometimes it just about killed me not to say anything,but I didn't. We had a wonderful, stress free summer before they left for school, and I was proud of myself for not creating dissention over it. Now their neat rooms stand alone, devoid of them, and I wish I would have only shut up sooner. I realized even though I was a very neat person, I really hated to clean so I was always annoyed. Forget it. It's not worth it. Do what makes you feel good and makes you smile at your children. That's what it's all about my friend!!

Hugs, Laura