Finally...but anxiety too

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Sep 23, 2010.

1. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I finally have a diagnosis, Fibro. I have been having anxiety attacks accompanied with elevated blood pressure. Stress is really getting to me. So, I go to the dr and explain what I am experiencing and she tells me to take 25 mg of Trazadone when I wake up. I already take 100 mg at bedtime. So I took it this morning and I am very sleepy. Its all I can do to stay awake. Pretty depressed today, wondering if it has something to do with the weather. Overcast and going to rain soon.

Does anyone else have anxiety attacks? And if so, what is being taken and does it work for you?

I feel like I hit 40 and everything has started going wrong. I was also diagnosed with borderline diabetes. Is this what happens with FM patients? Once you're diagnosed with FM, they start finding other things wrong with you?

I started taking 5000 i.u. D3, in addition to the fish oil BID, multivitamin and B12 I already took. And 100 mg of Savella in the am and 50 mg at bedtime.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

some natural remedies are:

tryptophan
    kava kava (but don't take this on a regular basis....a few days a week is ok, but every day over the long term can lead to liver damage)
    valerian (smells really bad, but works for many people....may make you sleepy)
    magnesium
    bach's rescue remedy
    theanine
    gaba

soothing scents, esp from candles (if you don't have MCS obviously)....vanilla, lavender, and cinnamon are some

relaxing music, or guided imagery CDs

stretching, yoga, tai chi, walks (obviously within your energy envelope)

coloring (yes they make adult coloring books and there are online sites where you can find things to color, too)

watching a comedy, reading comic books

being outside

photography

progressive muscle relaxation

breathing exercises

getting a massage (if you can afford it and if it doesn't cause pain obviously)

bubble baths (again it depends of course on what you can tolerate temperature and fragrance wise)

working on a hobby that you enjoy

talking to someone (friend, family, counselor, here of course!)

jigsaw puzzles, pencil puzzles, word games, solitaire

reading a book or magazine

cuddling with a pet

"window shopping" online or in a catalog
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Poor dear, as if fibro isn't enough.. In fact the anxiety is worse than fibro for me anyway. I take a small dose of xanax have for 9 yrs. and think of upping my dose. This anxiety with fibro is different or seems harder to treat.

I feel for you and truly believe that fm does something to our brains that causes anxiety. I tried Trazadone and liked it but then I became so dizzy I had to give it up and I was only on 25 mg. It didn't help with the sleep but sure helped with anxiety/depression and gave me energy.

God Bless,
    gg
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I don't think Trazodone is usually used as a first choice for anxiety unless it is sleep related.

I take 25 mg. of Trazodone at night, it helps me get to sleep, and stay asleep, yet does not leave me with excessive sleepiness during the day. I can't imagine taking 100 mgs. at night and then another.25 in the morning. No wonder you feel depressed.

I started out taking 100 mgs. but it was too much and was at 50mgs. for years.

I recently had some sleep issues resolved and now I don't need 50, unless my RLS acts up. What I do those nights is to take another .25 on top of the other. My RLS usually starts up right after I fall asleep and am doing this with my PCPs approval.

Trazodone according to my psychiatrist is rarely used as an antidepressant as people would be in a stupor if getting a therapeutic dose which is even higher than what you are taking.

I would talk to your doctor about this and a referral to a psychiatrist as they know the ins and outs of ADs, especially with your health conditions. Most primary care/internal medicine doctors are not as knowledgeable. Hopefully the two doctors would communicate with each other.

I can only relate my experience as we all react differently.

Let us know how you do.

gap
  5. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

i HAVE HAD ANXIETY/PANIC ATTACKS FOR YEARS AND THE ONLY HELP FOR ME IS XANAX, REALLY KEEPS MINE CONTROLLED. i KNOW IT CAN BE ADDICTIVE BUT FRANKLY I DONT CARE AS I CAN LIVE WITH CONSTANT ANXIETY AND MY BLOOD PRESSURE SKY ROCKETS WHEN IM STRESSED SO I PROBABELY WILL ALWAYS BE ON XANAX, HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS.I DO NOT TAKE AS HIGH OF A DOSE AS WHEN I FIRST STARTED HAVING THE ANXIETY . WHEN I FEEL AN ATTACK COMING ON STRONG I JUST CHEW UP MY XANAX AND IT WORKS VERY QUICKLY. I FEEL FOR YOU AS HAVING ANXIETY IS HORRIBLE AND IF YOUVE NEVER HAD ATTACKS YOU JUST CANT IMAGINE HOW HORRIBLE THEY MAKE YOU FEEL. I FELT SURE I WAS DYING SEVERAL TIMES OR GOING CRAZY. GOD BLESS AND I HOPE YOU FIND SOMETHING TO HELP YOU SOON.
  6. hensue

hensue New Member

My son has severe anxiety and has been to many docs for it.

I took savella and it increased my anxiety. How long have you been on it?

The trazadone was only at night for him.

Weather def makes me depressed and brings on a flare as I call it. Fibro flare.

my son has tried every anti depress made I believe but just added weight and made him sleepy.

stop the savella and see if your blood pressure and anxiety come down.

ask your doc first I could not abruptly stop it. Not good for you just to go cold turkey.

Does the savella help your pain?
    you will figure it out what works and what doesnt. A lot of smart people on this board to help you.

Anxiety is living he..... so hang in there it will get better.
    Take care
    hensue