Finally finished my first application with SSDI!!! YIppee.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hidlyn, Oct 25, 2005.

1. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

I know I have a long way to go, but wanted to thank you for your help on this forum. Along with my CFIDS support group leader, I was able to send in what seems to be a pretty complete documentation of my difficulty with CFIDS/FM/depression/lower back pain. For anyone else applying I have done two extra things I was told would be helpful. I created my own medical history like so;

Date seen - Doctor seen - complaint - treatment

I referenced that with stapled packets from each doctor I mentioned. I also printed off a ruling on the guidelines SSD is to use with CFIDS applicants. I attached a letter to it telling them what tests I had done and which symptoms relate to me and where they can found in the medical records. I also found out that SSA only makes 1 attempt to get medical records. If you doctor does not send them to SSA within 60 days of the beginning of your application they will simply deny you without even telling you what the real reason is. I was glad I went ahead and got my own records. That took the longest time. I also had my parents and my husband write letters on my behalf (it states that family member, employers, and friends are all appropriate people to ask) and I had them each get 2 notarized copies. I sent one copy in and kept the other for myself in case they lose the first one.

So, I'm hoping this will at least be the bulk of my paper work. I thought I'd roll over laughing when I saw the back of the form estimated it would take 60 minutes to complete the Adult Disability Report. HAH!!! It's taken me weeks.

ALSO- CAUTION if you start your application online. I started mine online on Sept. 12 but didn't finish until Sept. 27 with just the first part. I then proceded with the Adult Disability Report and Work History after that by hand. This I thought would be better because online they only allow 500 characters to describe your illness and why you can't work. I wanted more space. On Thursday I got a call from SSA saying I had to have EVERYTHING on her desk by this Thursday (Oct. 27) or I would be denied. If I hadn't done that application online starting on Sept. 12, I wouldn't have gotten that called and could have taken my time. Instead, I was lying in bed all weekend with paper, pens, stapler, and laptop trying to write, type, rest, eat, rest, write, write, type, rest, organize,....etc. It you want to take your time, DO NOT do it ONLINE!!!

Cross your fingers for me that I might be one of the very lucky few who wins the first time.

Thank you again for your help and support.

Heidi
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2005]
  2. ephemera

ephemera New Member

congratulations on your stamina & perservernce.

I'm following in your foot steps, almost there, probably done next month.

best thoughts.
  3. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

contact your congressman to have them do a congressional inquiry to help shorten the decision and keep you aprised of the situation.
  5. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

"contact your congressman to have them do a congressional inquiry to help shorten the decision and keep you aprised of the situation"

Did you do that? Do you mean to do it now before they've made a decision? How do I find the right congressman? I'll have to figure out who my congressman is. I'm sorry to say I don't pay attention as much as I should.

Thank you for the advice.

Heidi
  6. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I congratulate you on your perserverance. It is a big undertaking and it sounds like you did an outstanding job. Good luck--go get'm 1st time around!!

I am so impressed. I have had my paperwork hidden under my bed for more than a year. My husband just found out I hadn't applied. He is not at all happy with me. I even hired an attorney and they fired me since I never did my part.

I pray you get $$ and all of it without sharing any with an attorney. Great job!

Lisa
  7. paige51

paige51 New Member

good luck on cantacting your congress person. mines or his associates sent me a letter stating that my case was being looked into by a certain person and they would get back with me. it took them so long i deciced to contact them. you guessed it,the person looking into the case for me did not even know my name or what was going on. plus, she showed no interest in talking to me.
  8. paige51

paige51 New Member

good luck on cantacting your congress person. mines or his associates sent me a letter stating that my case was being looked into by a certain person and they would get back with me. it took them so long i deciced to contact them. you guessed it,the person looking into the case for me did not even know my name or what was going on. plus, she showed no interest in talking to me.
  9. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

Wow!! Can you do my filing??? Ha!! Ha!! I am going to contact SS tomorrow - not sure if I have enough credits. You worked hard on this and deserve a big pat on the back!!

Good luck and I wish you the win you derserve!!

Jennifer
  10. shalimac

shalimac New Member

I admire your determination and tenacity. I hope that it will be rewarded with a speedy review and approval. Good Luck and best wishes.

Your advise will be helpful to all. I did my application via the telephone interview. I was prepared in advance to give her MD visit dates, dx, rx, addresses, phone numbers, etc. I would also recommend this method. The representative documented all of my information, sent me a copy to review within 3 days, I signed off on it ( made a correction or 2)and returned it. It was effortless. Certainly there were a couple of follow-up forms to complete within 10 days, but the initial interview was a breeze. I was fortunate to have been approved on 9/21.

Again, Great Job, Great Tenacity, & may it prove fruitful!
    Shal
  11. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

I really appreciate it.

Heidi
  12. snow_white1920

snow_white1920 New Member

Wow... looks like you did your homework. Good for you. I did a telephone interview and then a packet came to my house. The packet took me three weeks to complete and send back. I got my denial yesterday. What a bummer! They have all my diagnosis and symptoms, which are nine in all. I think I was denied more on the fact that I am a Licensed Nurse and not my limitations. I guess the Federal government doesn't realize that I can't go anywhere and make more that $11/hr unless I drive 1 hour one way from my house. That would be fine if I could actually sit and drive for an hour or that I could sleep on the job or that I could do it without undue stress. I just want to cry. UUGGHHH!! Does anyone realize that I would work if I could... I loved my job and was there 10 yrs. I held on as long as I could and now I feel as though I am being penelized. Even the doctors that they made me go to gave me favorable opinions. I guess I just don't understand.
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you can look in your local phone book in the front of it under the government section. and also do a search engine

unlike the above responses from other people on the the congressman topic.

i have had to call myself and i have always gotten to speak the disability claims person in charge of the cases.

people need to be perisistnent and not think they are the only case there. you may very well need to call there office they may possibly feel you have already contacted ssdi and are content with your outcome. so you can not wait for them to call you, you do need to call the office yourself just like you have to call ssd.

i always call ssdi ask what the status is then if i need more anwser i call my rep, emmy morgan. and she had all the info and told me do wait until november first and see if i get my award letter in the mail. she siad she was going to call them and light there fire because paperwork is taking too long and is sitting on someone's desk....

she said if i haven't heard from anyone there or got a letter then call her on 11/01/05 then she will put in for an emergency for funds. i have over 11 thousand owed from my closed case from last year july. and i guess i was ruled fully favorable at the intial level....

i contacted the congressmans office and she got them to get the paperwork going to get my approval or the denial going..

they can not make the decision or reccomend a decision, just to get the paperwork from sittingon someone's desk collecting dust,

so please don't think you can sit back at home and expect congressman's office to just send a letter or call and say this is what is going on...

so you do need to help yourself some. then can do the inquiry and they know most of the laws or all of them regarding ssd.

good luck

jodie
  14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i hope the response wasn't too confusing, i hsve fibro and i am tired right now still ..

anyways
    congressman's office will help push the paperwork through faster. maybe not at lightening speed like what we want.

they will not tell them to approve you or deny you that is not there job legally.

they can get them to find your case and start working on it, then they can have to get response from ssd on the status.

look up www.disabilitysecrets.com

lots of great info.

and check out the disability section in the upper right hand corner of this page. great info as well..

good luck and i hope this is a little more clearer

jodie
  15. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

You're right. You have to do for yourself with all this stuff. I will remember to be persistant, but first I'm going to take a well deserved break from it for a week or two and rest, rest, rest.

Thank you for the web page too!

Heidi

[ advertisement ]