Finally Found Out

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sapphire, Dec 31, 2002.

1. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I finally found out what has been causing all these new symptoms. Part of the problem is that I am Diabetic. The other part of the problem is that I have spinal stenosis, a herniated disc in my neck and also bone spurs. No wonder I've been in so much pain.
    I'm not really sure which has been causing what symptoms. I have so many but some of the dizziness has cleared up since I've been watching what I eat so I guess that part was the diabetes. I'm just overwhelmed and confused right now.
    I don't know what to expect with the spinal problems. I haven't been to a Dr. yet. I had my MRI done on Monday and got the report last night.
    The good thing is I don't have MS. I thought for sure I did because I was having so much trouble walking at times.
    Anyway, just wanted to let yall know what I've found out.

Sapphire
  2. jpswife_4boys

jpswife_4boys New Member

I'm sorry to hear that you are in such pain. I'm happy for you and your family that your mri showed you don't have ms. I will keep you in my prayers.

soft hugs
    crissie
  3. JP

JP New Member

Having our conditions defined seems to help me. I am sorry for your recent dx and I am happy that you will learn how to help yourself and obtain help with these conditions.

Hang in there...Jan
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

I'm sorry your news isn't better. If memory serves me correctly, there are several others here with spinal stenosis; Kadywill comes to mind - and maybe they can help you with understanding or options or just being able to understand what you are going through. {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

Karen
  5. kimwarman

kimwarman New Member

But we are waiting to see if i lose weight if it will go back to normal. I just found out that my thyroid went out which is primary reason to believe that that is why in the last 2 months I have packed on about 50lbs! And with the added weight could be the cause of the higher sugar level, so we are going to wait until after I have started thyroid meds for awhile to see if that reduces the weight gain and in turn the increased sugar level.

I found out I had Fibro when I also checked to see if I had MS (which both my mother and her brother passed away from! my mom was only 57 and her brother 40yrs old!)

Diabetes also runs in my family out of 7 of us kids already 4 already have it and we are all under 50!

I also have the spinal stenosis in my neck due to ununderstanable spasms that I have had forever, they don't do anything for that but try to help stay off the spasms.

I don't know how you handle the bone spurs which are excruciating!
    Hope your Dr.s appt is soon and they help you quell the pain quickly!!!
    Kim
  6. SCARLETT415

SCARLETT415 New Member

Hi Sapphire,

Nice to meet you. I am new to this board. I have Degenerative Disc Disease along with the Fibro, Hashi, and CFS. My spinal stenosis resulted in two neck surgeries. I am fused from C2-C7 with 2 metal plates and screws, using a donor bone. I already had the Degeneration but two car accidents actually caused the need for the surgeries maybe sooner than would have been necessary. My understanding of the condition is that alot of people have spinal stenosis that shows up on MRI. However, when a trauma or over-worked spine causes pressure on the cord with the possibility of paralysis, than surgery is a must. Maybe yours can be managed with various meds to reduce swelling, etc. and P.T. or Pain Mgmt. Unfortunately, I went through all that for years and eventually ended up needing the surgery anyways. I would advise you see a Neurosurgeon as opposed to an orthopaedic surgeon. They do that type of surgery much more often. I see you are a respiratory therapist. So is my daugher. You have a hard job lifting and turning patients. My daughter works in MICU so most of her patients are totally helpless. She has alot of back pain also.

Scarlett
    [This Message was Edited on 01/01/2003]
  7. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Thank you all for your concern and help. I have not talked to the Doctor yet so I'm still in the dark. Will let everyone know what the plan is when I find out.

Kim,
    I'm so sorry about your Mother and Brother. I didn't really realize that MS was fatal. Well, I have heard of it but not 2 in the same family. I'm really sorry and glad you don't have it. I was very relieved when my MRI came back negative.

Scarlett,
    There are 2 Sapphire's here. The other one is Sapphire 311 and she is the Respiratory Therapist. I know that's confusing with 2 of us here. Thanks for replying and your help.

Sapphire