Finally going to get my first check Woo hoo

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mistress-o-pain, Jun 15, 2006.

1. mistress-o-pain

mistress-o-pain New Member

I can't believe it! I received my statement yesterday telling me the amount of back pay and that I should get my first check this month. I bet I have read it a half dozen times! Tears of joy and relief filled our household. Of course, the letter states that my case will be reviewed every three years. So every three years I guess I will go through the extra stress of wondering whether or not I will be approved. Geesh!
    A big "thank you" to all of you! Even though I don't post much I am here reading and praying for us all.
    Again, thank you all for being there!
  2. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

***congradulations!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still waiting for my LTD and SSDI....

* does a Victory dance for you!**********
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

ON YOUR VICTORY!!!

~Alicia
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Kudos!! You did it! I'm glad you hung in there. I assume that when your check arrives you will celebrate with buying us all either a Shirley Temple or a Buck Rogers!! Can't wait. Have a joyful weekend.

MRDAD
  5. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

Although my illness was accepted by Federal Workers' Comp (I was a civilian working for the Dept of the Navy when a toxic exposure triggered it), they refused to pay me for almost a YEAR!

They paid for medical care and prescriptions, but wanted to wait until I returned to work (that was '91) and give me my "backpay" then!

I wrote my congressman, who wrote a letter to the base, and BINGO! I had a check for one year of backpay within a month! Civil Servants HATE answering to politicians!

He got my vote for life!

Congratulations on your victory!

- julie (is free!)

Justice is the one thing
    you should always find... - Toby Keith
  6. borntired

borntired New Member

I am happy to hear about your first check. What a relief!
    How long did it take you to be approved?
    Borntired
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I love your name!

Congratulations! Doesn't that feel GOOD?!

Now, let's pray that everyone else that is still battling SSDI is awarded benefits very soon, too.

Kholmes
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

It's always a relief to get that first check,Linda
  9. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

My lawyer assures me everything should be done in August. Just wondering what to expect.
  10. Jordane

Jordane New Member

GOOD FOR YOU HUN!!!

I am still waiting. But we all had to.

gentle hugs!
    Jordane
  11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I believe the retro-check amt. depends on the total sum owed to a client. It comes in disbusements sometimes but the first one in my case was about 99%+ of what they owed me. I received the remainder of about six months latter. They by law can only initially give you up to a certain amount "all at one time". Go figure. It's a bureucratic thing I guess.
    Hope you get things settled soon!

MRDAD
  12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I hope this will mean a lot less stress for you.
  13. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

It seems to be a long hard road for many of us and I'm so glad that your's is over, at least for 3 years. I would continue with Dr. visits and medical recording for that purpose.

Nice to get the "good" news!

BlueSky555
  14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am still waiting for that letter...i did get my money...i have been told in person that they will review me in nov.2008...

i have to check w/ssa they still owe me money...what a mess...

jodie
  15. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

That's wonderful for you. It's always great to hear when someone is approved. I applied November 2005 and am still waiting...
  16. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I fought for 3 and a half years. I wondered if it would ever end. I was struggling on welfare and getting help from church friends, and doing a bit of building maintenance to get money off my rent and barely squeak by. I never really knew where the money would come from, but God always provided, sometimes pretty miraculously. I actually found $100 bill in a mud puddle once, and about 35 at a gas station another time. Talk about money raining out of the sky, heh. After awhile I just stopped worrying.

But I'll tell you, I would get so blue walking through a store, seeing all the nice things that I couldn't afford. Putting a chocolate bar in my budget was a splurge, it really was.

But several years ago I finally won, got $6000 in backpay. boy did I shop till I dropped, payed back bills of course, and treated all my friends who'd carried me so long and let me tag along for outings even though they had to pay.

I'm even engaged now, and am really rolling in it, w/ a double income now and our house which is paid off.

Things can really turn around. I'm so happy for you, I know just how you feel too.

For those out there still struggling, (and I've seen some heartrenching stories like mine once was) KEEP UP HOPE. They always give in eventually when they see you won't go away. That's how the system is set up, only the really sick will keep at it, and they know it.

Jeanne