Finally got results from my Stim Test!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KayL, Apr 14, 2003.

1. KayL

KayL New Member

There's good news and bad news. The good news is that my pituitary gland DID produce IGF-1 hormone during the test. The bad news is, I'm back to square one.

This is the endocringe-ologist (thank you Madwolf for that nickname!) who was so ugly to me the first time I went. Ever since then he's a changed man. He kept apologizing over and over that he couldn't do anything for me. He didn't even charge me for the office visit today!

He feels that, since my pituitary gland is apparently working, the reason my IGF-1 level is low is due to lack of restorative sleep, and that *if* I can get more, good, restorative sleep on a regular basis, my level will come up. One can always hope, I suppose.

Immediately after that appointment I had a GYN appointment with a new doctor. I didn't write anything down about having a FM diagnosis since there are SO many unbelievers in the medical profession. I did answer all the questions truthfully about symptoms and medications, etc. He was questioning me about the muscle/joint/bone pain, wanted to know if I was seeing anyone for it, etc. I went through all the tests I've had over the past 3-4 years, and which doctors I've seen and he asked me *have you ever heard of fibromyalgia? Have any of these other doctors ever mentioned this to you?* I had to laugh out loud. Here I've gone years seeing so many doctors who don't believe it is *real*, and now I have 4 different doctors telling me that is what's wrong with me.

<< SIGH >>

Guess I'll keep looking for answers. One thing is for certain, I intend to live my life, I will NOT let this rob me of it.

Karen
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

That is good news about your pituitary. My IGF-1 was low normal when tested in spite of not getting great sleep, and I think it was because I was taking ZMA at the time. Have you tried it?
    If you don't know about it, do a search of previous posts here and you'll come up with a ton of stuff on it.
    It's a safe supplement and worth a try. If you have kidney disease, I would not take ZMA without talking about it with your doctor, but otherwise you should be fine.
    There are some amino acids that will help this problem, but they can encourage replication of herpes viruses, something most of us don't need, so I think ZMA is a safer bet.
    Klutzo
  3. KayL

KayL New Member

Thanks, I haven't tried it, but I will look into it. I know a lot of people here take it and it seems to work well for most of them.

I had *almost* convinced myself that the pituitary thing was behind all of this. Back to the drawing board.....

Karen
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

It sounds like you & I had the same test with the same results. To quote the results from my test, just so you can compare them with what your doctors report says:

Research is currently being done to see if improving growth hormone release may improve the ability of patients to exercise. It may be tht low growth hormone levels do not allow for normal muscle repair. Growth hormone deficiency contributes to symptoms of fatigue & a loss of sense of well-being. My patient has low levels of growth hormone reflected by IGF-1 levels. Her IGF-1 level in July was 65. A repeat level in December was 70. The reference range for her age group is 70 to 290 ng/ml. She has had a growth hormone stimulation test, which showed that her pituitary is capable of producing growth hormone, but the release is likely blocked due to high levels of somatostatin, a hormone whose levels are high from the stress of chronic pain.

Another comment made that I though was interesting was: Research documents that fibromyalgia patients score as though they are 20 years older on cognitive function tests.

I agree with you, now we are back to square one. What now? I'm so sick & tired of dealing with this dd that there are days when I just want to give up. I want my life back, enough is enough. I can't work with the condition I'm in, yet SSD and LTD deny me saying I am able to work, yet I have letters from three different doctors stating that I am unable to work and that they do not predict any recovery from this. What to do??? Good Luck to you.

Dara
  5. KayL

KayL New Member

Something I've noticed recently (the last 3-4 months) is that my muscles are incredibly weak. Not just *out of shape weak*, but as if they have no strength left at all.

I used to do my yardwork weekly (cutting the grass, edging, weeding, blowing), and for the past few years my son was doing it. Now that he's in college and living at his dad's, I've been trying to do it. I can barely push the lawn mower. When I first started doing this year after our *winter* was over a couple of months ago, I figured it was just because I'd had a break for a few months. Well, weeks later, and having done it every week, I am convinced my overall muscle strength is very diminished. I've noticed several other activities recently where this has been painfully obvious. I cannot lift, move or push things that I could a few months ago. And I've been trying to exercise for a few months now. I am nowhere near up to what I was capable of a few years ago, and to look at me, I don't *look* like I'm in that bad shape, but I am just incredibly weak and now I'm starting to worry about that.

Do you ever sometimes feel that once you finally get past one hurdle, another one falls right in front of you?

Karen
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

Are you kidding, heck yes, it never stops, does it? Just this morning I got up and couldn't even put any weight on the bottom of my feet. My husband had to pour my cup of coffee for me and take the lids off my prescription bottles for me before he left for work. I know what you mean by the weak muscles, I live in a three story house and there are more and more days when I can't leave the main level. I also use to do all the weeding and take care of my beautiful flower beds, but I can not do it anymore. About the only thing I can do for yardwork is stand there and pick off the dead blossoms, but after about ten minutes I have to sit down. I get so sick and tired of this. My whole day is spent really not doing a thing except trying to accomplish getting dressed, taking a shower or bath (hopefully), and by then I usually have to lie down for awhile. This is a person who used to be a regular "workaholic", I would work six days a week and then bring work home at night and on the week-ends, while raising two teen-age girls. I can not even begin to detail how much my life has changed in the past five to ten years.I'm wondering, what was your growth hormone level? Will your medical insurance pay for any hormone replacement therapies?

Dara