Finally quit my job....SO depressing..Now what?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Sep 25, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Finally called and quit my job as a bakery/deli manager in a large chain of stores. I loved my job and made good money. After 6 months of being off work I filally called my boss and told him I need to take at least a year off. He was very understanding and told me I would always have a place with the company. That was very nice of him but don't really help the depression and anxiety of actually quitting. I have always been a big part of helping run our house and bringing in money so that we can do the fun things in life. Now I feel like I am not doing my part.We can't afford to do the things we used to do. I feel that is my fault. I know everyone here has been thru this but I just don 't know how to get past the guilt.....Now what?????? Any advice??
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Apply for Social Security Disability.
    It's a lot of work, but worth the try. Just do a google search about SSDI and there are lots of sites that walk you through the process.
    Best of luck...
    Mini
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

Everyone of us who had to leave work understand excactly what you are going through. I worked as long as I could. I loved my job and was very good at what I did. Im a people person so not only did I feel useless but the lonleness just about did me in the first yr.

It is soo hard for me to ask my sweet husband for money. I wait until I can wait no more before asking him for money. Especially my 30 diff. prescriptions. I have pension disability from my city gov. job, but my co-pays are over 300$ per month. I just got my SSD so I havent recieved the paperwork yet and again this morning I had to ask for $30.00 for the pharmacy.

Not only could we no longer do the things with the money I brought in, but I can no longer do the things we used to do. My Fibro is very severe and I am almost housebound. I leave the house maybe once a wk if Im able. Grocery shopping is a nightmare and I try to get as much as I can the first of the month when I get my dis. ck and then he picks up bread and milk etc.

Dont give up sweetheart. God is good and we are all behind you. Sorry, I cant type today.

Suzette
  4. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

You have made a big step here fieldmouse in looking after your health. You have a right to be scared.

I was terrified when I quit my job and went through some real self esteem issues.

The next step is getting enough documentation from your doctors to apply for disability. It is hard work especially when you are ill.

I went through all this a few years ago and it was tough. It was hard on my husband who has to take on all the bills.

This guilt thing is huge and it exhausts you. I ended up having to see a therapist for awhile to get through this stuff.

At least I have my disability coming in now and that helps.

hugs Redwillow
  5. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Thank you so much for all the encouragement. I know I will get thru this and my family and I will be ok. Just knowing you are all out there to help me makes a difference. I am calling OHSU in Portland today to see if I can get a good doc. Don't seem to be any in my area that know much about FM or CFS. Its a Long drive to Portland but my wonderful neighbor said she would drive me there. Thnk God for friends and neighbors...Thanks to all who shared with me!!
  6. code34me

code34me New Member

I just make a reply to a post under (I have a big fat confession) that fits this one also. Dont want to type it all over again. I do understand how you feel!

Take care of you! Codey
  7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Thanks for the story.... i read it.....I know i'm not alone...this is sad for all of us...thanks again!!
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

fieldmouse:

My best bet after quitting work was to apply for SSD.
    It was a long,long road, but it finally paid off.

I would not feel any guilt if I were you because it is not your fault, as to what has happened in your life.

Yes...I guess we are all in the same boat sometimes.

nyrofan