FINALLY...something that really helps that awful nawing pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Mar 14, 2006.

1. achy

achy New Member

I'm a big BioFreeze fan. (I get the medicine shoppe brand
    for $4.99 though.)

BUT...

I tried the O24 since CVS pharmacy had it on sale for $14.50
    I really didn't think it would work. Nothing besides the Biofreeze has ever worked on me. But it did.

I've been using it on my hands and I can type again!!

My back has been KILLING me the past few days...so bad my Oxycodone just barely takes the edge off. Last night DH put some all along my spine and within minutes the pain WAS GONE. Hubby said I looked at him, said wow it's helping, and fell right to sleep.

It's worth a try...
    achy

P.S. Yes, it does smell like camphor, but after 20 mintues you can wash the area and remove the smell without hampering the pain relief!!
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

It does help...but the smell is really bad, isn't it? I posted about last night when I used it on the FM Barbie thread....it was funny.

I will try the washing after 20 minutes. That is a good suggestion. I only use it when I am really hurting because of the odor and I'm afraid it will lose its potency if I use it regularly. Meds have a way of doing that with me. I don't know about outside stuff, but I don't want to find out.

Good post.

Sue
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

The arnica works even better than Traumeel most times, and is instant relief. Best of all it smells lovely, just like chamomile. But Traumeel works better on certain areas and has very little smell at all.

Jeanne
  4. suemorr

suemorr New Member

I was wondering if anyone here had tried it. I had gotten a free sample of O24 in my "Fibromyalgia Aware" magazine. I had to do some errands later so I thought, "What the heck. Try it." I was *stunned* that it worked. I was walking with no pain. I could even wait in line with a much reduced pain level. But that smell drives me crazy. The directions say to massage it in, so you or someone gets it all over their hands. You then had to scrub your hands really well to get it off. Subsequent times didn't work as well as that first time tho.
  5. achy

achy New Member

I am amazed at this stuff. I take 30mg. Oxycodone for pain, and some pains the O24 works better on.

If you don't want to get it on your hands use a sponge or those thin gloves...But since my hands hurts SO bad, it helps them too. I just wash them in 30 mins.

TRY IT...and TRY Bio Freeze too...it also workswithout so much smell.

glad I can help
    achy
  6. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Couple of questions;

I tried a sample of the BioFreeze from my Chiro... it did okay w/ the pain, and the smell was okay too...But, i could not stand the coldness of it. I have such a hard time staying warm as it is. I have not tried 024 yet, and wondered how it compares to BioFreeze? Is it cold on the skin too?

Also, where can i find Arnica Gel and Traumeel Cream? I have not heard of these... are they over the counter or PX?

Thanks a million!
    TM~
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

I have tried arnica, 024, and biofreeze. I had the best luck with the arnica. You can get it at most health food stores. I bought the 024 at cvs. The biofreeze, I buy at the place where I went to massage school. I use it a lot with my massages. Clients love it. You can usually get it from a chiropractors office. The 024 really creates a cold feeling more than the biofreeze, I think.

Kriket
  8. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Kriket~

Thanks so much for the info!

How about the Arnica Gel and Traumeel Cream... do the get cold too, like BioFreeze and 024?

TM~
  9. ive been using biofreeze for over a month now.im in the uk and i bought a tube of the gel for £8.50p my chemist ordered the gel for me.i also bought the roll on type.i carry this around with me and just apply it when the pain starts to return.
    im happy to report that im still so happy with biofreeze.i havent had to take pain meds for a while now.click on my name to search my own topic on how i have been coping with the biofreeze..oohhh and do try it for yourselves..i get good quality sleep at nights since i started applying the gel prior to going to bed.

but a word of warning..
    dont apply the biofreeze to freshly washed skin..id had a shower,,dried myself and applied the biofreeze to my ribcage.i get aweful chronic pain there.anyway the biofreeze began to hurt me,,felt like it was burning my skin.i had to wash it off straight away.
    so wait a couple of hours after bathing before applying the gel..then all will be well.
    i suffer from psoriasis so i already have very sensitive skin.i dont ever put the biofreeze on the rash,but i get severe pain near my rash on my knees and elbows.my skin isnt troubled at all with this gel...its fantastic pain relief in a tube..im well happy with it.

kind regards
    fran
  10. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Flossy~

Do you have FM?... I was just wondering if so, how you stand the coldness of it at night?

I am able to do BioFreeze in localized areas during the day time, but only because i'm so cold at night. Actually, i'm cold all the time... but, especially at night. When i used it at night i just shivered for hours and hours. And that was fully clothed, w/ socks, and laying on a heating pad.

Do you have any special tips to share?

TM~
  11. i have no special tips to share as regards how i cope with the coldness that comes after applying the biofreeze..im sorry.

but if i tell you about what i do after ive put the biofreeze on my limbs just before bed,then maybe you might be able to tell me what you think im doing right,and you might find it works for you.

i wear pyjamas eekk i cant spell it..
    i always wear a t shirt under the pyjamas PJ,s and i wear socks too.

i apply the biofreeze to my lower back,knees, hips.leave it to dry a few seconds,then tuck my t shirt into my pyjama bottoms,and tuck the bottoms into my bed socks.

i use one pillow only on my bed,this has eased my back problems and i use a portable cassette player with a 30 min tape of my favourite chill out..its a file i downloaded a couple of years ago of thunder and rain..it isnt one of those with music added..its just the thunder and rain effects..i snuggle under my bedsheets,and must admit that im not feeling freezing cold with the biofreeze because i have nerological problems in that i cant even feel the coldness of the biofreeze.so i must be one of the lucky ones.
    i sleep peacefully and i think this is thanks to the biofreeze taking the fibro pain away,and of course because i quickly drop off to sleep while listening to my cassette tape.the tape switches itself off so is quite safe to use in bed.
    i was always warm when working so i can honestly say the biofreeze didnt make me feel cold.id go to the toilet at break time and re apply the biofreeze to my spine,and no one at work even realised i was different from them,because my limp was gone..the pain was gone,just for a few hours,but isnt that fantastic.
    i havent yet mastered how i coped at work with my brain fog and blurred vision..i think you have to be able to be strong willed to get through a day with that.i managed 6 weeks doing 4 hours work a day..i worked alone,they just let me get on with it thankfully.

but i must have slipped up and not realised it as one of the work mates called me a senile old such n such.
    i hadnt told them about my fibromyalgia,but had lied and said ive recovered from ME/chronic fatigue syndrome.
    they hadnt heard of the illness before,but from the bullying they did to me prior to me finishing the job and stressing me out..i think someone must have had a idea of what this illness entails,then it was pick on the new girl..calling me senile hurt me alot thats for sure.

kind regards
    fran
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

CANNOT FIND IT. I asked all over for this biofreeze and no one seems ot have heard of it in NY State. Suggestions?

Love Anne C
  13. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

haven't tried the biofreeze but I have used the 024. I like it pretty much and I don't really mind the smell, however you can wash it after 20 min and the smell will go away. It does work quite well on the pain. Just get little gloves to put on when rubbing if you don't want it on your hands.
  14. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Flossy~

People can be so cruel! I'm so sorry that those words still live with you. I never believed in the old saying "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never harm me"... the wounds i got from those sticks and stones have long healed, but the words people have said to me over the years... will, those slice like a knife!!

Thanks for sharing your tips!... Sounds like you wear a whole lot more clothes to bed than me! LOL* Tucking the p.j.'s into to the socks is a good idea though!.... I'm not sure i'll be able to use this product at night : ( but i cant use Bengay or Flexall at night either b/c of the coldness.

Cromwell~

Have you tried checking at your local Chiropractors? That who is carrying it here. Good Luck!

TM~
  15. darude

darude New Member

I use biofreeze and have just ordered 024. The best tho is topical Diclofenac. You can take the painkiller Diclofenac in pill form but I like the topical best. Its in a gel form and smells nice.
  16. kriket

kriket New Member

The arnica gel or cream (can get it either way) has no cold feeling what so ever. It usually soaks right in after you rub it a few seconds. It is supposed to take the swelling out. I was real skeptical about it, but it really works quite well for me. As for the Traumeel, I've never tried it. Can anybody tell me where to get it?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2006]
  17. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

You can buy Biofreeze online, just Google search it and you should find several sites. A lot of physical therapy massage, and chiropractor clinics sell it also. You could probably call around and go by and purchase some.

18. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Kriket~ Thanks for the info! I will definitely pick up some arnica gel the next time i'm at the health store!!

Jeanne~ Can you tell us more about the Traumeel Cream? Does it get cold on the skin?

Darude~ I'm not familiar with Diclofenac. Where can we find this? And does it too get cold on the skin?

Thanks everyone! So much helpful info. here! Learning soooo much! You guys are just peachy ; )

TM~