Finally started my Bicillin shots

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by kellyann, Nov 5, 2006.

1. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi everyone!

I finally got my shots from the drugstore yesterday. I can't believe how long it took.....3weeks! for the pharmastist to order them, jeez!

I gave myself my first shot last night and it wasn't too bad until afterwards. It got really sore. Even more sore today, but it feels better after stretching and walking.

My husband did seem a bit mad about the price of the shots. This makes me feel so guilty. I know I shouldn't, but I do. Our insurance will not cover them at all, since the doctor at the FFC wrote the prescription, and she is not on my insurance.

The Bicillin LA cost us $652.10 for one month's supply. Does anyone know of a cheaper source, or one of those places that help you get medicine? This is so stressful.

I got the prescription filled at a CVS. I have gone there for years. I think maybe they are getting just too high on all their meds, and I need to shop for a better drugstore. I saw where Walmart is doing prescrptions for $4, haha!

I wonder what prescriptions could cost only $4? Oh well,none of mine, I couldn't get that lucky, haha!

Take Care!
    Jesus Loves You!
    Kellyann

2. ajp

ajp New Member

Hey,

How are you? I was just thinking of you and was going to post to you today. Glad you received your med. And hooray for you for giving yourself the shot.

I heard that they are really expensive, but what isn't when it involves Lyme? I know how you feel about the guilt (and the hubby) when I was ordering my ketek at $400.00 a month...but you know what ....it was working and I had finally had some good days and really was afraid that I would relapse if I stopped. Now My LLMD gives my samples mostly, so I do not have to buy it every month.

I don't know about price, but maybe someone else here does. I know a few people that do take the Bicillin and it has been very helpful for them. So I pray that it will be for you as well.

How are the headaches? I have had awful pain in my temples, ears and jaws. I am assuming it is a Lyme thing and I am waiting for it to go away. Even the tops of my ears burn and hurt, sometimes it is so bad......it makes me crazy. I am taking the Lyrica for the nerve pain, not every day, but it has helped quite a bit in my legs and shoulders. My LLMD feels that some of my nerve damage may be permnament.....yeah like I like to hear that.

Oh Well.....Glad to see you posting....let me know how the shots are going. Take care.

Your Friend
    Mindy

P.S. I haven't checked into the Walmart $4 meds, probably no Lyme meds on that list....right?
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2006]
  3. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Kellyann

On lymenet I have heard of people either buying it in Mexico where it is only a few dollars a shot or you can order from Europe for WAY cheaper thru online pharmacies.

You might want to check the site for answers as the people that have gotten better have been taking it for a couple of years which will get very expensive.

If you will pull up bicillin in history of lyment it would be helpful for insight as far as ways to make the shot more comfortable. Such as applying ice to your hip etc.

Good luck

J
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I don't know if it's any cheaper there...

but recently the gov't said in particular they would not be looking at shipments of prescription drugs from Canada anymore.

all the best,
    Victoria

5. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Thanks eveyone, I'll go check out lyme net. I haven't noticed any big drastic change yet, haha! I sure wish! The needle you use with the shot is really big, I suppose because the stuff is thick or something. I did fine giving the shot to myself. I'm afraid if I don't find it cheaper I won't be able to stay on it.

Thanks!

Kellyann
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

I spoke to my son's doctor a couple of weeks ago; they don't allow pts to give themselves shots at home, but it may be because they use a different abx for shots than biaxin, believe it is the rocephine. Forget exactly why, I think because of how it had to be given...

Hope you're feeling better really soon Kellyann!

all the best,
    Victoria

7. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi,
    Yes,
    I still have the horrible headaches. I am so sorry you do too. It is great that your Doc is able to help you out with samples, that will save you a lot of money.

Yeah, it wasn't too hard to do the bicillin shot, it just hurt when I was done. I tried to do it slow, as I read somewhere that is bruises less if you do it slow. Thank goodness it isn't every day!

I don't feel any different yet. I wish!

I need a burst of energy tomorrow is my daughter's 17th birthday. I need to go shopping. I don't feel like it. I don't feel like doing anything. My house is a total disaster.
    I wanted to go vote, don't think I'll make it.

Your friend,
    Kellyann
  8. lagf

lagf New Member

Hello....what is this shot. My daughter is very ill and on the cumanda protocol, for seven months. We have also failed on antibiotics...I am looking for other ideas and not sure what this shot is...Thank you.
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

it's a specific penicillin abx -

see my response to your post about it.

10. redsox10

redsox10 New Member

Try some small, privatte owned pharmacies. They are sometimes cheaper.
  11. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

I picked my shots up from the drugstore yesterday. How many shots did you get for $652.00? I picked up 10 shots and it was $306. That is for a five week supply. I will be on them for three months, so will have to reorder, maybe you got yours all at once. I got mine at BiMart here and it took two days to get them.
    I have to go to the doctor to get the injections and I don't know if the Medicare will pay for me to get them, but probably not. Ugh.
    Good luck to you, I start my shots on Tuesday next week.
    Regards,
    Lynda