Finally told work I am sick

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DoveL, Oct 4, 2006.

1. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hey there..

I posted a few weeks ago, how I went back to work, after not working for 5 years!! I have been working part-time for the last 6 months..(it is a struggle with FMS/CFS)..

Well, they have been pressuring me SOOO much to work full-time, and asking 'why' why' why', SOOOOO FINALLY I said "I cannot work because I have a chronic illness, CFS/FMS...

Oddly enough, they knew what it was!!! I did not go into details, but said, that it makes it hard for me to work on a full-time basis, and that I did not want everyone in the office to know, and I don't want to mention it again, because I don't want to be a 'complainer', or tell everyone my sob story....I hope I said, and did the right thing??? AND I hope they truly understand. I hate to be considered a 'loafer'....On the other hand, I hope they are not mad because I did not tell them sooner. I would never tell anyone on an interview, or they would 'discriminate and not hire me'.

BTW, they probably like me so much because not only am I a great worker, BUT also, I work for 'a poor man's wage'.!! YIKES...how depressing. Such is life...I will keep you all posted how it goes.

CHEERS!

DOVE

2. DoveL

DoveL Member

3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

especially since they kept pressuring you as to why you couldn't work full-time. It's great that they know what FMS/CFIDS is. I told the professors I work for as sometimes I have to take off for appts. or not feeling well, although this school year I've only taken off a couple of hours for some tests at the hospital so far. Like you, I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I don't think the work place is the place to do this. I try to work doctor appts. around my work schedule since I only work mornings five days a week.

I agree with the other lady who responded. They must like you to want you full-time. Too bad it doesn't pay better!

Ellen
  4. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I keep my boss posted on my ever changing medical diagnosis.. I don't make a big issue of it just mention it in passing after doctor's appts. I know the time is coming when I'm not going to be able to work and I don't want it to be out of the blue.
    They don't really understand the specifics but they do not I have issues. I took a change in positions about 5 years ago because I couldn't be on my feet for long hours everyday anymore and they were supportive.
    I give it all when I can.. there have been times that I have been off with emergency trips to the hospital for colitis attacks.. days I have missed for migraines.. but still in 9 years I have only missed one wedding and I was in the hospital. Do what you can and be grateful that we can still work for now. It's tough huh!
    Hang in there!
    Hugs ~
    Dona
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Dove:

It was nice you got good feedback from your coworkers. I am sure you feel much better for that.

It was a brave thing to do and I hope all works out for you.

nyrofan
  6. DoveL

DoveL Member

Hello there wonderful people! :)

Thank you so much for all your feedback, and support, and taking the time to respond to my post! It made my day. Tommorrow I go to work, after having off today, and getting your feedback(from people that understand), put my mind at ease. I always feel like I am 'hiding' a secret, and 'pretending to feel well'. what a drag. But I am grateful that I did have this opportunity healhwise to be able to work these past 6 months. I don't know how long I can last..BUT I do tell you that I MISS working sooo much. The old saying goes 'you don't know what you had til it's gone'. Aint' that that truth???

Sheesix; When I applied for the job I 'lied' on my resume so there was only a 2 year gap or so (really being over a 5 year gap! YIKES!!)..I also lived in another state. SO, I said that I had to move back home, due to some PERSONAL FAMILY problems. I have noticed that when I say PERSONAL to people, they won't pry. Esp. on interviews.

Good health to come to all....
    CHEERS!
    DOVE