Financial help with meds?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by ajp, Jun 28, 2006.

1. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi All,

How is everyone doing today?

I started my second abx(biaxin) yesterday. Anyway I was so surprised at how expensive it is. We do not have insurance and I finally shopped around and found it for $168.00 for 60 pills. And that is the generic.My Doctor said to try Canada, but it was more expensive there as they don't yet have the generic one.

So...I know someone posted about ways to apply for help with the meds, but I can't seem to find any posts on it. Help..... I am about up to $400.00 a month for all my meds, maybe more.

Not only do we have to deal with the disease, but we also have the stress of trying to financially live.

I did talk to my LLMD to see if there was another abx I could take instead, but he said he really likes this combo and it works well for most people.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Love Mindy
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I'll bump it for you.

Generally what I have found is that 'general' pt assistance programs take 4-8 WEEKS if you go thru them. You can cut time by going directly to the mfr...

My son is in the midst of taking Levaquin, only $21+ per pill!!!! He has no insurance either, being 18 and not in school.

So far we have gotten samples luckily, but I am sending an application to the mfr - they said dealing directly with them will only take about 5 business days.

The real problem is that the abx RX for him keeps changing generally every month to 2 months... and one has to be approved per DRUG, not per mfr, even if you go to them directly - altho this one company told me it is easier/FASTER the second time around.

Good luck, if you find anything that works better than going directly to the mfr, please let us all know -- so many of us are caught in this bind!

All the best,
    Victoria