Financial Stuff

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elizajane40, Sep 12, 2005.

1. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

Anyone struggling with finances due to FMS? I worked really hard for 15 years to climb up the ladder. I was finally making about 43K a year. Not bad, even when I was a single mom, at that rate I could have nice clothes, good makeup, etc. Now since I cannot work at that level anymore, I am making about 27k. I can't afford all my medications, whatever left over money I have goes to things for my girls. It's just depressing. My husband makes great money, but most of his money goes to child support. We live check to check to pay bills and we are juggeling those. I would just love to have some really comfortable shoes for my feet because they hurt so badly but the ones that would really help cost too much. Cannot afford the orthotics for my feet and insurance won't cover them. I'm so mad! I worked so hard now to have nothing. It sucks. I guess I am just venting. Anyone want to vent with me???
  2. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

I am in the same boat.My husband right now works three jobs. One full time the others part time in the evening. I am scedualed to work full time, but I am usually out at least three days every two weeks. It really is depressing. I also have two teenage girls and they are pretty understanding, but I wish I could do more for them. They both have some dental issues but with our payments, my doctors, my medicine and just regular girl things we have no money for the co-pays. I have dental insurance and medical and vision for all my family but I still do not have the money to afford the things. I make to much for aide and I make to little to make ends meet. We are always seeing red. We right now live in a rental house because we can't afford to buy a home now. Hopefully in the future.
    Hoping things get better for both of us.
    Christina
  3. jacqulyn39

jacqulyn39 New Member

Yes, I can definetly relate to you. I have fms and been out of work since may of this year. I am in the same boat as you except I don't have a husband. I do wonder if fms triggers the feet area because I also needed the shoes but could not afford to get them, I ended up having surgery on my foot but it didnt help now the other one is messed up, so not only can i stand just about about a hour before the pain sets in i have to deal with the pain everywhere else. by the way I'm 39 years old just starting the disability process, right now i dont have any income coming in.
  4. orachel

orachel New Member

Husband and I are in a bigtime mess financially over my sickness. I can't work right now, and they haven't started paying even my st disability benefits. Hubby makes good living, but we pay a truckload of child support too (not that I'd ever begrudge my stepkids their support!), and we bought a bit too much house for our budget because it was a great investment even when I was working full time. Now my 10% deductible medical bills have started to arrive, and about 1/2 the snarfy sessions husband and I have are because we're both so worried about money. I'd love to try treatment at the FCC, but its so expensive, and they don't bill to insurance. So, basically, the thing I think has the best chance of making me well enough to be able to work is totally out of the question financially. AARGH!!!!
    Really sucks, but I think most of us are up the creak minus paddle financially due to our illness in some way or another. But hang in there!

And hey, have you tried the new Dr. Sholes Gel inserts for shoes? Stupidest commercials known to man "Are you gellin'?" lol...but they really do help. Also, I have tender feet, and best thing I've found is to wear completely flat shoes. I owned almost none, so I went to Target and spent $12 for 2 pairs of ballet flats, then put in the insoles. SOOOO much better. I thought good tennis shoes would work, but my feet were way too tender to put into the shoes, let alone wear!
    Good luck, hon!
    Rachel
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...my husband, who has diabetes & neuropathy in his feet, just today picked up his custom orthotics (which we "footed" the bill for, pun intended---several hundred dollars, not covered by insurance). Anyway, I'm glad he'll hopefully be more comfortable, but you should see these flimsy things! I mean, I know they are custom fitted to his feet, but it's hard to believe they can justify charging hundreds of dollars for these things!

And it remains to be seen if they are any better than his $40 ones he got at the running shoe place. We'll see...

I'm with you, Eliza Jane, it's a financial struggle, and there are SO many things just not covered at all by insurance, like all the supplements I take. It IS maddening, you think things should be getting easier at this stage of life, not harder.

I'll vent with ya!!

(((Hugs)))
    Pam
  6. pywacket

pywacket New Member

there is help for some of it. with the meds most medication companys offer free meds. depending on what state you are in there is help with the child support. most states have what is called undo hardship. all you to do with that is call the county and they will send you the paper work.
    hope something helps
    lisa