Finding a Doctor to treat FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BDK, Apr 8, 2007.

  1. BDK

    BDK New Member

    Can anyone help with finding a doctor that will treat fm? I've had it for about 15 years and it's a guessing game for a regular GP. The rheumatologist I called told me they don't treat it-just refer you back to your GP for pain management. Is there a listing of doctors somewhere that treat FM?
  2. coolma

    coolma New Member

    Most specialists that treat this are under the Arthritis umbrella (because they don't know where else to put FM) and alot of people see a Rheumatologist. Call your local arthritis society and see.

    Local hospital? They might be able to refer you, as they do with family doctors. You really need a good specialist with this condition.

    Network as you did here, but in your home area, for a support group for FM. That is the BEST place to find a good doctor to treat you - by someone who has it. The best recommendations came from a local fibro group.

    Good luck = and better health!
  3. artistwithin

    artistwithin New Member

    I am having the same problem. I went to a Rheumatologist due to a positive ANA. He said I have FM but he doesn't treat people with this and to research the internet for help. My Internal doc doesn't know anything about this but is happy to give me more and more anti-depressants and send me on my way. I don't take the Provac because it make the fatigue worse but (especially now) I am having panic problems and depression. I have been taking Xanax every three hours since Friday just to keep from totally freaking out. Boy do I need help. I have not been able to find a Dr. here in SW Michigan that knows how to treat this problem.I hope you have better luck where you are.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/08/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/08/2007]
  4. Engel

    Engel New Member

    this finding a DR is horrible! I hope this rheumy i am scheduled to see in a few days is as good as i heard he is.
  5. sfrazier

    sfrazier New Member

    I guess i'm really lucky. my pcp knew exactly what i had when i first went to her. i then checked out the doctor list on this web site and while i didn't get the dr. that is on here i did get one of the doctors that work with her. totally believes in FM. went to a pain clinic though that said they treated FM but am looking for someone else cause all they wanted to do is push more drugs. the other one i'm looking at right now won't even take me till he has looked at my file. however he does treat fibro. i know it's hard to find someone but the place that i started was right here with the dr. list......SueF
  6. Engel

    Engel New Member

    That is more than mine did. He said it is allllll sleep apnea (my rear). I am seeing my first rheumy in a week ... he is supposed to be top notch.

[ advertisement ]