Fingernail Ridges -- any truth in it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Jan 1, 2003.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Keep hearing and reading that a telltale sign of Fibro is exaggerated vertical ridges running the length of the fingernails. Checked mine out and yep -- really pronounced ridging that I'm sure has never been there before.
    Anybody here have the same or is it just co-incidence do you think?

--Marcus
  2. Dawnt

Dawnt Member

When I went to cosmetology school ions of years ago. One of the things I learned were signs of illness's in people can be shown in the fingernails. Before I was diagnosed with this disease, which I've never heard of before. I had noticed the ridges in my nails and thought it may be from a lack of something. I never did finish looking it up but there are posts here about it. I just looked at my nails now and I still see the ridges but not as pronounced as a year ago. Maybe it is the lack of vitamins or something because now I take many.
  3. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

ridges in my fingernails, in fact they are quite unsightly I have had them for years, when I mention it to my family they say everyone has that so I dont mention it now.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Even though our nails and hair are "dead" parts of our bodies, they reflect our overall health.

Love, Mikie
  5. karen55

karen55 New Member

I used to have nice, strong nails. For the last 5 or 6 years, my nails are incredibly thin and have really pronounced ridges that I never had before. They are so weak that they split along the ridges. I've had 5 major surgeries since 1993, 4 of them between 1993 and 1996, and after that is when I started feeling bad. 1999 is when my symptoms got noticeably worse and my last surgery was in 2000, and it's all been downhill from there.
  6. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

but which most doctors write off as paranoia, co-incidence or natural aging. It really would be fasinating to know what percentage of PWFMS actually do display this phenomenon.

--Marcus
  7. karen55

karen55 New Member

Shame on me! I have her book and was trying to read a little of it every day (if I had free time) but the last few weeks I've gotten no reading done.
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

From my Naturopathic training:
    Vertical ridges can be one of two things: either anemia or hereditary and not a problem.
    Horizontal ridges (known as Beau lines) also mean one of two things: either an injury to the nail bed, or a serious illness that occassionally stops nail and hair growth.

I have had Beau lines in my thumbnails ever since I got Fibro, and they are deep enough to cause peeling. The vertical ridges just appeared last yr., after 3 yrs. of anemic results on my blood tests. My nails are still really strong, however, esp. since I upped my calcium dosage after menopause.

Just in case anyone is interested:
    Nails which are concave and turn up at the ends often mean anemia is present.
    Nails which are very convex and turn down at the ends may mean hypothyroidism is present.
    Nails with very white moons can be a sign of heart trouble.
    Nails with tiny white spots on them are often a sign of zinc deficiency.
    Nails in which the entire nail is very convex and rounded can be a sign of serious lung disease.
    Nails which are thick and yellow are a sign of fungus and may indicate a systemic yeast overgrowth.

Can't think of anymore right now. Hugs,
    Klutzo

[This Message was Edited on 01/02/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/02/2003]
  9. sp

sp New Member

Wow, I didn't know this was a fibro thing. All my life I've had weak nails, but notice the vertical ridges especially the last few years. Another symptom to add to our long list.
  10. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Marcus:
    Wow again! Never knew or learned so much about nails. I too have ridges, but never gave them a second thought. I will try more B vitamins for the ridges as suggested on the post. The knowledge on this board is awesome!!!!
    Thanks everyone!
    sue
  11. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi Marcus

I've had vertical horizontal ridges for quite a few years. They would never grow and would be brittle and split really easily. Interesting to think that FM was probably in progress ages ago if that's an indicator, even though I only got really bad with the muscle symptoms in the last 6 months.

There's been a slight improvement lately in my nails, probably because of the supplements, but alas no change in the muscle condition yet:)

Regards
    Gill
  12. coyote

coyote New Member

I used to have very hard nails that I could growlong. Now I have vertical ridges that split at the ends no matter how much I file them down. They also split along the ends and come apart like onion skins. I think that taking vitamins helps somewhat.
  13. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

They first appeared about 1991. My first major traffic accident happened in 1989.
    Kathryn
  14. healing

healing New Member

My husband's and my docs (hubbie has arthritis of an undetermined nature, even after study by NIH, while I have Reiter's Disease -- reactive arthritis -- and FMS)told us that ridged nails are symptomatic of arthritis.
  15. Jenelle

Jenelle New Member

I am 61 years old and have never been able to grow fingernails. I discovered quite by accident that if I take a supplement called MSN my fingernails do much better. They
    still do not grow very long before breaking but up until now, I didn't have any success at all. I have been the gelatin routine and other things but nothing has helped before. Hope this helps someone. You can get the MSN most
    anywhere (I get mine at WalMart). It is not expensive.
  16. sheri

sheri New Member

As a former cosmetology instructor, this is an area I am very familiar with. First, a healthy nail is firm and flexible and appears slightly pink in color, with a smooth surface curved and unspotted, without any hollows or wavy ridges..The nail is constructed in layers (though looks like one peice)The root is at the base of nailand is embedded underneath the skin, attached to an actively growing tissue called the matrix. The matrix nourishes the nail(blood vessels, nerves, lymph and produces cells that generate and harden the nail. The lunula or half moon is of light color caused by the relfection of light where the matrix and the connective tissue of nail bed join. Poor health, a nail disorder or disease or injury to the matrix influences how the nail looks and grows.Normal, healthy nails can grow in a variety of shapes , according to the individual.Corrugations, or wavy lines are caused by uneven growth of nails, usually the result of illness or injury.
    Furrows(depressions) can run length wise or across the nail,usually the result of illness or injury to the nail cells in or near the matrix.Also, pregnacy or stress can cause this.White spots can be caused by injury to the base of the nail.(these spots will grow as the nail does and eventually disappear). Well, I think we've established a healthy nail and one that indicates poor health or nutrition.
    I buff my ridges out to make a smooth nail before applying polish...there are very many other things , (too many to mention re; diseased of nail. But in dealing w/beaus lines and ridges, yes, this is a sign of an unheathy system, and remember stress. Beaus lines are not unusual after a serious illness...blessings, sheri
  17. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

I can always tell if my thyroid meds need adjusting when my nails get brittle and start to peel. I have Thyroid disease and CFS along w/ alot of other stuff...but didn't think anything of the ridges...wonders never cease w/these dd's!

1Writer

18. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

How can you tell if you have ridges? My nails started splitting and breaking around the time I was diagnosed with FMS, but I assumed it was hormone problems because I also went through menopause at the same time. But I took hormones, and it didn't get better. I guess it must be from the FMS. If I look at my nails in the light, I can see pale white lines - is that it?

Annette2
  19. Jaysea

Jaysea New Member

I have little ridges on most of my nails but once in a while I get a really deep trench on one nail that goes right through the cuticle and into the first knuckle joint. This makes the synovial fluid drain out of the joint and into the trench .It gets so painful and swollen that I have to stick a sterile needle into the swelling and drain out the synovial fluid. I've been taking Vit B for yrs but it doesn't seem to help. I'm trying fish oil caps now.
  20. dlizard

dlizard New Member

ridges present and accounted for LOL>>>> and mine bend over if they happen to not split and get longer... they look as though they would curl right around the finger!! weird.... Good luck!