Fingers sore to touch

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by atpeace, Sep 21, 2005.

1. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Hi, y'all! I was dx with FMS 10+ years ago, and have had nearly every symptom in the "book" at one time or another.

But something new cropped up a couple months ago, that doesn't feel like fibro. My fingers have started hurting, but not like the usual fibro aches or sharp pains. This feels more like what I assume arthritis feels like (after talking to my mom, who has osteoarthritis in her hands). Most of my knuckles are sore all the time, and they really hurt when I push on them or try to pick up something heavy. (Putting wet laundry into the dryer is the worst!)

As I said, this doesn't feel or "act" like my usual fibro pain. My pains always come and go, here and there...you know how it is. But the pain in my fingers has been almost constant for weeks now.

I broke down and went to a Dr. (I'd given up on Dr. helping years ago). He tested for RA, Lupus, thyroid, and did x-rays to check for osteoarthritis. Everything was negative...he says it must be the Fibro. That dx just doesn't seem right to me, but I don't know what else to have them check for! I do NOT want to spend more time, effort or money if it's "just" Fibro, but I don't want to suffer unnecessarily if this finger thing is something else.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Lori

p.s. This site is great!

[This Message was Edited on 09/21/2005]
  2. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Thank you, livnlife! (BTW, I like your name!)

I've never had pain in my knuckles before, so this has thrown me for a loop. The backs of my hands, my wrists, and the area under my thumbs has hurt for years, but this is new!

Thanks for your input. I guess this is just one more thing I have to learn to live with. Darn.

Lori
  3. jana15

jana15 New Member

I tried describing it to someone the other day -it hurts like hell but not in the usual fibro manner. I first noticed it one day when I turned a door knob and then when I was clapping at one of the cats (not hard just a shoo) they throbbed and ached for what seem like forever. It was a few months later that I was diagnosed with FM. I'd already been suffering CFIDS for about three.

Unfortunately I don't know what you can do about it though sorry.

Cheers Jana
  4. atpeace

atpeace New Member

Hi, Jana and Kate!

Thanks for your input! Jana, that's exactly the kind of feeling I'm talking about. Typing doesn't seem to bother my fingers, but clapping or picking up something or making a fist...those types of things hurt and make my fingers ache for a while.

I suppose it IS just part of the Fibro, darn it. Isn't it crazy to want it to be something else -- anything else that has a cure or a real treatment -- rather than Fibro? *sigh*

Kate, to answer your question, yes I do get a rash on my hands every now and then. I've had it for about 25 years; actually, it used to be chronic on my hands and arms, but now occurs occasionally in just 2 fingers. It's the oddest thing. My dad, bro, niece and cousin also have it. Of course, nobody has found a Dr. that can diagnose or cure it, so we just treat it and live with it.

Since the finger pain just started a few months ago, and I haven't had a flare up of my rash, I doubt the two are related. But, hey, I could be way off and there could be a correlation there! I've seen wierder, LOL!

Thanks again for your replies!

Lori

[This Message was Edited on 09/22/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/22/2005]