Finished SSDI paperwork, FINALLY!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teach6, Oct 30, 2002.

1. teach6

teach6 New Member

After two and a half months I have finally completed the most recent, and I think last for this time around, set of paperwork for SSDI. It's been like a nightmare. I would get started and then have one interruption after another.

I lost about a month to a family emergency and the other time I had to work around worsening fatigue. But I finished and am about to go to the Post Office to send it on it's way across town.

Now all I have left is 457 questions on a personality inventory the state wants me to complete for disability retirement. You would think that statements from my boss and doctor would be convincing, but not for them. I hate paperwork!!!!

Barbara
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

After two and a half months I have finally completed the most recent, and I think last for this time around, set of paperwork for SSDI. It's been like a nightmare. I would get started and then have one interruption after another.

I lost about a month to a family emergency and the other time I had to work around worsening fatigue. But I finished and am about to go to the Post Office to send it on it's way across town.

Now all I have left is 457 questions on a personality inventory the state wants me to complete for disability retirement. You would think that statements from my boss and doctor would be convincing, but not for them. I hate paperwork!!!!

Barbara
  3. JP

JP New Member

What an emotional challenge...if you are anything like me, leaving your career and finally accepting that work is not an option, is quite painful.

I wish you well and am glad to hear that you have this completion behind you.

Take care,
    Jan
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

Jaimy, it's not freezing here, it's 40, so it's just cold rain. If it become freezing I will only walk her around my house and the house next door, without going on anything except grass.

Jan, my decision was easier because I tried returning last year on a part-time basis and did myself in. It became clear to me that I could no longer work in my chosen profession, or anything that has regular and full-time hours.

I have a business that I am able to work at part-time, when I want to, and bring in a little extra and have a lot of fun. So I will keep doing it.

Any kind of paperwork has been difficult for me to do for eyars. Now with my CFS it's next to impossible. I only have a few hours a day that my mind is able to function at that level.

Sometimes I have other things to do during those hours, like grocery shopping, banking, paying bills, going to appointments. So that really doesn't leave me a lot of usable time to do much extra. I squeeze it in when I am able. I just kept working at it, no matter how slowly I was doing it and eventually I got to the end.

Barbara
  5. PARKSMAM

PARKSMAM New Member

I'VE ONLY BEEN ON THE BOARD ONCE BEFORE, BUT WE ARE REALLY ENJOYING READING THE POSTS. MY HUSBAND HAS RA AND FIBROMYALGIA. WE THINK. NOONE CAN MAKE A DEFINATE DIAG.

WE TOO ARE DROWNING N PAPERWORK. TOMORROW, WE ARE GOING FOR A CONSULTATION WITH A DR. FOR SS DISABILITY.
    THE WORST OF IT IS HE STILL FEELS REALLY CRUMMY. WE HAVE TRIED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING THE DR'S AND ANYONE CAN SUGGEST TO INCLUDE THERAPY, PT AND ACUPUNCTURE. STILL NOT MUCH BETTER. WE KEEP HOPING FOR A MIRACLE.

WISH US LUCK!
  6. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

Every time it askes to EXPLAIN something, I get this overwhelming feeling and have to put it all down. UGH>
    I'm going to make an appt. with the SS office near me and have them help me fill out the rest. I don't wanna waste too much time.
    Good luck to you!
    ~Gina
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

They asked what I did all day. My answer included among other things, "filling out paperwork for SSDI and disability retirement." I don't know if they'll find it amusing or think it was smart aleck, but I really don't care. They keep telling me my papers are late when I keep writing on them that one reason I cannot work is because I cannot handle stress or deadlines.

My attorney came to my house today and he asked me if I was going to have to go lie down after he left. I told him I wasn't sure, but possibly. I had to get up extra early to go to a family conference about the progress one of my sons is making in a special program he's in.

I ended up lying down and sleeping over three hours. I slept right through my massage appointment. I couldn't believe it! Now that is one reason I cannot work full-time, or even part-time. Most jobs I've had did not include nap time in the middle of the day! Even when I worked in day care the naps were only for the kids, not the adults!

Barbara