Fires in California

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Khalyal, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

Are any of our board friends affected?
  2. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

No, I'm half the country away, but I know you and a few others are in California. I just pray you are all okay. Please be careful, hon! Thinking about you...

3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I live in Temecula, Ca and the winds are absolutely nuts, fences and trees down, and the air is brown with smoke and soot.

My husband is a Firefighter, he just got called back in 30 minutes ago, he has no idea which fire he will be sent to, or if he needs to man the station here. Most likely he will be sent out. It seems he just got back from the Big Bear Fire!

The wind is nuts and is not letting up. My car door flew open at the grocery store, I could not catch it. It has a nice dent from hitting the side mirror of another car.

My hubby's family in San Diego have evacuation orders. They are giving orders to 250,000 in San Diego county alone. That is crazy! They are saying this is worse than the firestorm in So. Cal. in '03. They are calling in other states Fire Dept.'s for help. They are having a hard time getting any control at all due to the winds.

I am saying prayers for all of the firefighters and keeping positive that the winds will die down soon. Kim :)
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Your husband had to fight the fires last year, too! This is a real disaster. I will pray for him again.

I have cousins in the Escondido area...they are OK, but all around them it is burning.

San Diego County is really in it is to the north of it.

I live in very northern CA and there are no Santa Ana's here nor is there any fire. But, I am concerned for my cousins and for my SIL and BIL and family in Orange County.

EEK! It is disaster...worst ever.

5. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

God bless your husband. What you must go through worrying about him! I'll keep you both in my heart and pray that this situation gets under control for everyone.

6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Sue and Khaly-Thanks for your kind words and prayers. The Big Bear fire he was at was actually just a few weeks ago, he was gone for 5 days. He did get called in today, but right now he is manning our local station. He may or may not get called out to one of the big fires tomorrow. We just don't know right now. I pray for the ones that are out there right now, I hope there are no more injuries.

Sue-I hope your family in Orange county are okay. The air is just terrible, do they have evacuation orders? This is a huge disaster, I just pray it ends soon. Thanks again, Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2007]
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Firemen are such heroes. I think their partners are heroes, too, for doing without them at a moments notice so much of the time.

Sound incredibly dramatic out there. I wish you NO MORE DRAMA!

8. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I have distant cousins living in Lake Arrowhead.
  9. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I haven't heard from family in Orange County, but no news is good news. My husband is calling them tonight. I am more concerned about my cousins in Escondido. People just a few miles from them have been evacuated.

I hope your husband gets to stay in the fire house!

Take care!

Thanks for your concern.

10. justlooking

justlooking New Member

It's really bad down here. It is very scary since there are 8 fires in our county alone.

Just wanted to let everyone know they can check what houses were destroyed, what areas were evacuated and where you can evacuate to at the San Diego CBS station 8. Can't put web addresses so if you are interested in checking on loved ones in the area you can google channel 8 CBS. They have the main web-page dedicated to that information.

To the member whose husband is a fire-fighter, please thank him for doing such a heroic job! I don't know what we would do without people who risk their own lives for those of complete strangers. I am very grateful for people like him!
  11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Rafiki, you are too kind, that was a nice thing to say. The news stations are 24/7 coverage right now. The wind is still whipping away. Hoping it will calm down tomorrow. I know some firefighters were hurt in San Diego, as well as some residents. I hope you are feeling well. Thanks, Kim :)

Sue-Hope your cousins in Escondido stay safe. The number of evacuations in San Diego county are crazy. I will say a prayer for your family. Have a good night. Kim :)

Justlooking-Thanks for your kind words. Hope you are staying safe in North county and I hope you are not in an area that has to evacuate. Here's hoping tomorrow will bring some progress in the battling of these fires. Thanks again, Kim :)[This Message was Edited on 10/22/2007]
  12. joyfully

joyfully New Member

If you live close to the fire, please take the time now to gather important documents (or make copies of them). When they say to evacuate, you want to be able to move quickly.

I used to live in Eastern N. Carolina. The fires were different there. Weyerhauser owns alot of the pine forests for lumber. When the fire gets into the tops of the pine trees, it spreads so quickly that you can't believe what your eyes are seeing.

When the burning pinecones fall from the tree tops, then the pine straw blanketing the forest floor bursts into very hot flames. Fire in pinestraw travels very quickly.

Once the fires get going, they seem to make their own self perpetuating winds. I think the dry weather in Calif AND the hilly terrain make the conditions very difficult for the firefighters. God bless them all.

13. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

The fire is jumping towards our house....but the fire dept says there is no "REAL" reason for concern right at the moment!

The Big Bear/Arrowhead fire has jumped towards the Marianas, which is just above apple Grandson lives there so Iam waiting and watching!

I do not think we are in any immediate danger....but from the sounds of the news this is NOT good!

My very best friends lives one street over from the Foothill Ranch fire and they have been asked to evacuate,

I was able to contact her and it was very hard to compose myself because the fire is basically in her back yard....her husband is a police officer so he is able to keep her calm.....and Iam sure he will make sure her and the kids are safe! ( please pray for them )!;)

So keep the prayers coming....not just for my family and friends but for ALL the people who are effected ......

my sons girlfriend is stuck on the 15 freeway as I write this and she is panicking, she is hungry, scared, and is completly stopped and the highway patrol is telling people to sleep in their cars because it could be as much as 7 hours before they open it back up!

This is so terrible and they said earlier that out of 15 fires 13 were arson!

Hugs and prayers
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2007]
  14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

a strike team to the areas today.

15. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I hope everyone will be ok and won't have to evacuate.

Kim, extra prayers to your husband, the heroic firefighter.

16. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

my prayers are with you all. Watching it on the news right now - just devastating

17. laceymae

laceymae New Member

You guys are in my prayers.
    And to the families of the firefighters...I know how you worry. Son was a firefighter a few years ago...never ending worry. They have a very dangerous, but rewarding job.

We had a forest fire here a few years ago...some kids were playing with matches...burnt about half of our farm, but we didn't lose the barn. really scary driving down the road and seeing the whole sky darkened with smoke.

hugs and prayers
  18. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

Georgia, please let us know when you find out about your family. God bless, hon.

Jam, Doxy, you girls make sure you have a way to leave and a place to go if you have to!

Love to you
  19. justlooking

justlooking New Member

My nerves are shot at this point.
    I now have 4 fires to worry about here in my vicinity. The smoke is so thick, there is ash everywhere. We are located in the middle of fires in Del Mar, Camp Pendleton (just started), FallBrook and Escondido. The closest evacuation is about 5-7 miles from me but unfortunately the fires change direction and are moving quickly in some areas.

I am hoping not to have to evacuate because I have 3 kids and 2 cats to transport. I already have a migraine, so I can't imagine getting stuck in traffic and deal with my family and animals in the car. As of right now, we aren't even supposed to go outside due to the smoke, so the kids are stuck inside and school is closed until next week due to the fires.

I am very grateful to all of the firefighters, military and volunteers from all of the state (and elsewhere) who are here fighting these fires. Today we have air support, which wasn't used yesterday due to the winds. I am praying with all the extra help, our bravest will get this under control today.

Thanks to those who offered their prayers, thoughts and support to all of us affected. I'm sure we will all go into a huge flare/crash when this is over AAAAGGGGHHH
    But right now I need to try to stay strong and vigilant for my family.

My prayers will include all of you today!!

20. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

My prayers are with you, hon