Firing your dr

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat211, Aug 2, 2010.

1. kat211

kat211 New Member

I think I am going to 'fire' my PCP. I had blood tests early last week, results should have been in by tuesday, but there were problems with the system w/ the lab so they didn't have access to them until Thursday. A nurse called, left a message that my cholesteral was too high and I needed to stop eating fast, fried, and fatty foods. My diet is better than their nutritionist, she is the one who told me! I don't eat crappy food! I have been calling and leaving messages since thursday and no call back. The nurse I finally got to talk to today said she was concerned b/c of my exposure to mold and she would put through an urgent message to the Dr. Still no call.

I am also on a 2nd round of strong antibiotics for a sinus infection that I have had for 6+ months ( I thought it was allergies). My sinus problems got better but have been increasingly getting worse over the past few days.

I'm not a medical professional, but with all of this combined with the 60+lbs I have gained in the last 11 months and all of my other medical issues, I think a red flag would go up with the dr.

Should I give them another chance or just find another PCP? I live in a major metro area, so there are plenty of drs.
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Hi Kat...

My 1st instinct is to advise you to find a new doctor, but if you really like this doctor make an appointment to see him and unleash your feeling regarding your thoughts.

Its always possible that the problem is with the front and back office staff.

3. Tizz

Tizz New Member

It's impossible for me to know what's "really" going on, but I'd wager that it's one of two things: (1) your doctor's nurse and/or receptionist have overstepped their bounds, having taken exception to you for some reason, or (2) your doctor, him/herself, asked the nurse to "stall" you for some reason or perhaps simply to "take care of it..."

If it's (1), then it's likely your doctor will eventually catch on to what's happening and fire the offending employees. But if it's (2), then your doctor should be HISTORY...

So it's up to you, how much you trust your doctor and whether or not you want to deal with all of that...

4. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have been doing a ton of research on mold exposure and symptoms and treatment. I don't feel that my dr has done anything to help me. I spent 2 years with them just telling me it was my EBV that was causing all of my problems. I am the one who sought out and found the internist who diagnosed and is treating me for the fibro. I also sought out a neurologist during that 2 years. I have found an infectious disease dr here that is also covered by my ins, so I am going to go see her. I am just thankful that my ins does not require referals.

I'm going to call the pcp to get copies of my file tomorrow so I can take it with me and not worry about them sending or not sending reports to any new dr I might find.
  5. kat211

kat211 New Member

I think it is the dr. The nurse that I talked to today has known me for years and has seen me struggle with whatever is making me so ill. She has always been very helpful. I really think it is this particular dr b/c I always had calls returned by the other drs I have seen in the practice and her b/f my last visit. I think she might actually think that I am making things up or something b/c she recommended a ton of other drs the last time I was in there. At first, i thought she was trying to help me, but now I think she just doesn't want to deal with me anymore.

It was also my fibro dr who wanted me to go to the spine clinic to have the bulging disks in my neck looked at again. My pcp didn't do anything for them when they were found 2 years ago and told me to take some advil and rest.

Hindsight is 20/20 right?

If I find the energy I might write a letter to the owning dr of the practice.
  6. Tizz

Tizz New Member

...but I agree. It does sound like it's the doctor. :(

I wish I could say that I believe things have changed, and that nearly all doctors now accept CFS and fibro as a "real" diagnosis. But I don't think that's true.

7. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I had high cholesterol also and when finally when put on thyroid meds it dropped drastically without me changing my diet. Your weight gain is a red flag for sure.

8. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have been asking my primary care dr to check my thyroid for a few months. My weight gain didn't start until after I moved into my house, and the research I have done says that thyroid dysfunction can be caused by mold exposure.

I had to cancel my road trip b/c I have lined up multiple dr appts for both me and my son for mold exposure along with other stuff. Hopefully one of the drs I am going to see in the next few weeks will listen to me and test my thyroid.

What med are you on for your thyroid?
  9. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

yes- if you eat that healthy and your activity levels have not changed and you have gained 60 lbs in 1 yr-- something is wrong!!! thyroid or something!! any medication changes? many meds cause weight gain. or the mold? something is amiss for sure. i would think you would need thourough thyroid testing. also have you heard about "adrenal fatigue?" maybe consider a quality naturopathic, holistic MD who could test these things.

sounds like your pcp is not that helpful. if he or she does not improve- def "fire" them.

best wishes!
  10. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

thinking that it's from fried foods and fats. Transfats, maybe, and other weird things we eat that are not actually food, but there are other factors. Now they know that cholesterol is a clean-up mechanism of the body and they see it in arteries because it's going to the site to help the problem, IT'S not the problem.

Because we're ill it can reflect in our cholesterol numbers. They shouldn't use statins to lower the cholesterol when your body is using it for a reason. They need to find out what's causing the high cholesterol and deal with that.

When I had candida my overall cholesterol was too low and my ldl too high. After I got rid of the candida the numbers were better.

It's more complicated than they know and they're still learning and trying to understand cholesterol.

You may find that your next doctor says the same thing.
  11. kat211

kat211 New Member

So the dr had the office assistant call and leave me a message that my ldl must be high b/c of genetics and that I should exercise. I DO exercise you idiot! I wanted to scream when I heard the message. How many theories are you going to blindly support? I don't think she understands the idea of holistic care, which is what this office is supposed to be!

Lets see, I have excessive sweating (even before the cymbalta), weight gain of 60lbs+ in 11 months, a sharp and drastic increase in LDL in 11 months, a treatment resistant sinus infection lasting more than 7 months, and a multitude of other new symptoms that have popped up in the past 6-11 months AND confirmed exposure to multiple types of mold including the toxic one. Now, I know I am not a MD and have never been to medical school, but I don't think this is something that I should just shrug off and chalk up to genetics.

I am sooo writing a letter after I get this all sorted out! GRRR!

At least the NP at my son's pediatrician office listened to me and did a complete panel of blood tests on him, including a thyroid test.