First Anniversary of Dad's death...

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by fivesue, Dec 15, 2006.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Just a year ago right now is the last time I talked to my dad...he called me in the AM to joke with me...we did a lot of that. My life is much sadder without him.

Mom and Sister are going to gravesite with flowers...very sad today.

Need to call my mom...need to stop crying.

Please pray for us today.

Sue

PS My dad was a devoted Christian man who loved his family and his God. I know that he is alive with Jesus and that makes this bearable...we grieve '...but not as those with no hope...." But, we still grieve...we just miss him.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2006]
  2. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I can understand your sadness and grief. We just went through my Dad's first anniversary at the end of July. Those firsts are the worst. This will now be the second Christmas without him and as much as we all still miss him terribly it is a little easier that last year. My Dad too was a wonderful Christian man.

The Lord somehow gets us through these awful times. I pray that each day will get a little more bearable for you and your family.

Love,
    Nancy
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Last Christmas was a blur but this one will be just plain missing Dad.

Had a hard day with tears, but that's OK. Sometimes we just have to go with our emotions and hopefully cry ourselves out a bit.

Thank you for your words of wisdom...I pray for a better Christmas for you and your family without you dear dad.

Hugs,
    Sue
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I am one very fortunate person to have had such a wonderful dad. What a kick he was!

And devoted to his family. He and I were always zinging each other back and forth...no one else is like that in our family so it's hard to hear the silence there now. My mother is a very quiet person.

Anyway, lots of wonderful memories...

Very sad to think he's gone...but only for a short time will we be parted. Another 20-25 years maybe...a little more, a little less..

And then eternity.

I'm ready.

Sue
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

The first of everything is so hard. Just know that it does get easier as time goes on. The first Christmas without my mom was so hard. Two Christmases later we had to celebrate without our Dad. It was tough because we missed them both so much.

These are the times when people of faith have such an advantage. We know that they are in a wonderful place waiting for us. That has to bring some measure of comfort despite our grief.

I pray that you and your family can remember the good times with your Dad in past Christmases. He sounds like a wonderful man who is reaping his reward.

Love, Pepper
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Pam, I pray for a good Christmas for you and your family. It will be hard for both of us. It seems that so many things happen around this time of year. Thankfully, we know Jesus who is the reason for this whole celebration.

But it's still hard. It seems that all other problems become amplified and harder to deal with because of our expectation of "Peace" and "Good Will." Sigh. Unrealistic.

We are planning to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium on Christmas Eve day. I just talked to my mom and she actually wants to go along. We will have to rent a wheel chair because of her back...she is able to walk but not for long times and not standing still for any length of time. I was hoping she would want to go, and she does.

A new tradition, it seems.

Blessing to each of you as you celebrate our Savior's birth. May God comfort us all as we miss those who have gone on before.

Love,
    Sue
  7. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Fivesue,

I can't believe a year has gone by already since the death of your father.

I remember how sad I was for you since I know the bitter empty feeling of losing a father, since mine has been gone for about 29 years now and I still miss him so much , especially at holidays and other happy times that they are missing now.

I have to say that I am sorry for your grief, but I praise God that you had a God fearing Christian father for as long as you did.

It is a beautiful thing that he was in your life and now as hard as it is he is in your heart waiting to see your beautiful face again one day in heaven

hugs

kgangel
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I apprciate your note...and I can imagine how hard it is even 29 years later thinking about your father's death. I know it is hard this first year.

Yes, I was/am a very blessed person to have had such a wonderful dad who is now in Heaven awaiting the reunion we will have at some point. I don't think it will be 29 years, but who knows?

Just a note...my mom has expressed interest in going to the aquarium with us on Christmas Eve day. We will attend church on Saturday night so we can go to the aquarium on Sunday morning. We are looking into wheelchairs so she can enjoy the time...she has trouble with her back and walking or standing too long is just not an option.

But this is the first thing she has really expressed interest in since Dad died.

Good sign.

Merry Christmas to you!
    Sue
  9. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I have just checked after long time away from the board. Our computer crashed and we just went and bought another one tonight.

I know that it was hard on you as you reached this date of your dear dad's passing. I can truly relate to you. I still miss my dad after 29 years.
    I pray that you and your mom can enjoy the time together.

I wish you a Merry Christmas...talk to you soon!

Mari
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I hadn't heard from you in a bit, Mari...

Thank you. I hope you guys have a great Christmas. Hopefully John is doing very well by now...what a long recovery it has been.

Will touch bases when I get back. It's going to be a long trip with some very bittersweet moments.

Because of Jesus,
    Sue
  11. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Try to take it a day at a time. I know that it is hard.
    Merry Christmas to you... and all here!

Love...Mari