First cold in 4 years--Meaning??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Frecker777, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

So after 4 years of nary a sniffle, I have my first cold in years. I was one of those CFS sufferers who never ever got the flu no matter how many little kids I was around—some doctors told me this was due to my overactive immune system. So now I am on antibiotics for lyme disease (5 weeks in) and I have a horrible cold. I wonder—could this mean my body is starting to heal or just the opposite—my body is now overwhelmed and having trouble fighting anything off?

Anyone else seem immune to colds and the flu since getting CFIDS? Any ideas about my quandary?

-Carrie
  2. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I have had one cold in the year plus I've had CFS. Hopefully your body is reversing it's overactivity.
  3. suz9601

suz9601 Member

After 3 years of not getting anything, I got a cold over Thanksgiving, and then this week I got the stomach flu. I am not sure if that is good or bad. Like you, looking for meaning. My doctor seemed to think it was a good thing, I am not sure. At least we know our immune system is doing something I guess. I even got a fever w/the stomach flu, i have not had a fever in about 10 years.
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I would say that this is good news, although it may not feel that way. Your own immune system is finally starting to work the way it should. Let the cold run it's course, if you can. It will help in the long run.

Take Care.
    Kathy
  5. LdyM

LdyM New Member

Same here Carrie. It's funny, this is the first cold I've had in years! Been so long it feels unusual to feel sick in a different way than CFIDS sick.

I've been treated at FFC since June, so perhaps something IS different. I only wonder, as you said, if my body is starting to heal or just the opposite, that it is overwhelmed and cannot fight it off?

I just don't know what to think. Sure hope the others are right and that it is a good thing!

Happy Holidays! **LdyM
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

Glad you posted this

I went 5 years without a cold or flu

This year, I got a cold in August, and another 2 weeks ago, which went away in a few days and came back 1 week later!

I am as baffled as you!