First Days on CHANTIX (stop smoking)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gidgetsmom, Oct 22, 2006.

1. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

Promised to tell ya'll how this went so here goes!! Started the Chantix yesterday, take one .5mg pill for 3 days and then one twice a day. So far no side effects. But in just yesterday and today, the cigarettes smell and taste alot different. Certainly not wanting them like I used to. Maybe this stuff actually works! I'm hoping for some pain relief too, as it's supposed to be a cousin of Mirapex. So far that hasn't happened but it's only been 2 days!! Cross Your Fingers!!

Shelley
  2. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

Since this is a new drug I bet there is no generic out yet. Is it very expensive? I have insurance,but the nongeneric is usually $30 for a 30 day supply.
  3. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

Thank you all for your encouragement!! No, there's no generic yet. My insurance is $5 for generic, $20 for formulary, $40 for nonformulary. The Chantix is $40. But when you figure the price of 2 packs of cigarettes/day, ya still come out ahead.
  4. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

So happy for you and hope it helps you to stop smoking. I need to do this also. Best of Luck.

Eileen
  5. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

My husband is taking it. He hasn't had a ciggie in 4 days. It has helped him more that anything else he has tried. He is grumpy, but not like he was with patches or Wellbutrin. With those I almost said, "Smoke a cigarette, PLEASE!".

Our insurance does not cover it at all. I figured to out and a month's supply costs about the same as his pack and 1/2 a week habit.[This Message was Edited on 10/23/2006]
  6. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

Hi All!!

Just a note on my progress!! Today is day 5 on Chantix. Still no side effects. Just a little extra dreaming, but is not a problem.

I got rid of the case I carried the cigs in. Darn thing was like a part of me carrying change, work time card, cigs, etc.!! I'm just now finishing the pack of cigs I started day before yesterday, and saturday morning is my day to stop completely.

Honestly, I think I can do it this time!!! Walked off for break at work twice yesterday and forgot to take the cigs with me!

My husband starts his pack of meds saturday, so will get ALOT easier!! Cross your fingers for me!!! LOL

Shelley
  7. thepkk

thepkk Guest

I am going to the dr. today and will see if I can get it. I was going to talk about Mirapex anyway
    Hope we can both quit.
    thepkk