First Post Question about a new Symptom

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amberdotcom, Apr 10, 2006.

1. amberdotcom

amberdotcom New Member

I'm guessing this is an FM symptom but it's new to me and I couldn't find anything about it.......A few days ago my jaws started to ache; but it doesn't happen all the time only when I'm eating. It's not a deep ache or pain, it's almost like my jaws are tired after a few chews and the muscles just don't want to move anymore - they fell tired and achy. I noticed this this most on chew foods like a bagle.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there information about this type of thing anywhere?

Thanks.....this is my first actual post but I've been lurking and the information on the boards has really been helpful.
  2. jake123

jake123 New Member

Yeah, I think it is TMJ. You probably shouldn't eat chewy things like bagels or gum. I have through the whole TMJ dentist thing. Try to find a dentist that specializes in TMJ.
  3. amberdotcom

amberdotcom New Member

Thanks guys - you know, I saw TMJ mentioned in an FM book but the only symptoms they talked about were grinding and clicking so I didn't connect it to this. I looked up TMJ on WebMD and sure enough the aches and such are part of it too. And wonder of wonders it just so happens I've been chewing a lot of gum for about two weeks now (I'm going through about 2-3 packs a week) I started it both to combat the dry mouth from the Elavil and b/c I figured if I was chewing gum I can't eat so maybe I'll lose a little weight.

Thanks for the help!!
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Two things - one is we tend to clench our jaws when in pain which can cause this.

The other is that FM often affects those jaw muscles.

I never have tooth cleaning because if I do the way they press on the jaw sets up that same feeling. Did you haveteeth cleaned lately?

Love Anne C