First Sleep, Second Sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LittleBluestem, Jun 23, 2011.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Today Talk of the Nation on National Public Radio had a segment on time. You can listen to it here: (It is a half hour.)

They said that before people had clocks, the went to bed at dusk. They slept for several hours, got up around midnight, puttered around for a while, then went back to bed. They referred to this a first sleep and second sleep.

Those of you who wake up in the night, might try getting up for an hour or two then going back to bed. I assume you would want to keep the lights low (think candle or kerosene lamp), stay away from the TV and computer, and not do anything too waking.
  2. kezzluvscats

kezzluvscats New Member

Yer that's me. I find a good thick book helps. Tried all the sleep hygenic rules,NADA. I just don't committ to anything in mornings as who knows how much sleep or getting delta sleep(deep stage of sleep that gives us the refreshing wake up feeling) I find if i do any activity other than reading- it makes it harder to settle down.
  3. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

Thanks for sharing!

We are joined in bed by our two smallish dogs and the occasional child. If I get up, the dogs bounce off the bed, make sooooooo much noise and wake the rest of the household. I sometimes feel trapped!! I've tried carrying the heavier of the two dogs down the hallway and down the stairs (so that he makes less noise in front of the girls' rooms), but my body doesn't like that. Just occured to me to buy a runner for that hardwood hallway!!! Silly me.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks. I plan to listen to this. I am a big fan of NPR.