First Splenda Free Day

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dancingstar, Oct 31, 2005.

1. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Hi Everyone,

Well, today is my first complete Splenda/Equal free day. I started this yesterday morning, when I threw out my morning coffee after reading the post about Splenda. Well, the only thing I noticed so far is that I usually spend the morning in the bathroom...every single morning, and I haven't been there at all yet today.

If I am truly desperate for sugar, I will either have a tiny bit of something with real sugar in it or go get some stevia, but for now it's no big deal.

I don't hurt very badly today, but I don't know if there is a real difference or not yet. That will be the real test and what I'm hoping to find out. I didn't know that it can also cause blurry vision, which I get from time to time; anxiety; mood changes. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens over the next week, though from what I've read there is no way to ever get the crap out of our system, not ever.

Does anyone know anything about that? I suppose a good cleansing could help, but if there is no bodily system that it can be cleared from, how can we cleanse it from our bodies? Supposedly, it is stored in our fat cells. How pleasant.

Anyone else joining me in this experiment?
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

We did a "house cleansing" too on all our boxed cereal a while ago, because of the BHT in the packaging. Now we get health food store cereal that doesn't have that stuff in it. Be proud of yourself!!!

There are tons of natural sweeteners at the health food store for if you get feeling adventurous. On the low cal/no cal front, most of us here love Stevia, and xylitol is a personal favorite of mine because it looks the same a sugar but is safe, even for diabetics - and it actually PREVENTS cavites! lol Plus there are new flavors you can try to see if you like them: brown rice syrup, agave nectar, date sugar... yummmm. Lots of options! Hope you have fun exploring the world of alternative (natural) sweeteners. :)
  3. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Funny, now I know that Splenda isn't supposed to affect my blood sugar, but since I don't have any other sugars hanging around my house right now, I haven't had any...and my mood is better, I'm not hungry at 3:19...4:19 as of a couple of days ago because of the time change, and I only ate breakfast and some cottage cheese (which I usually coat with Splenda) cause everything else around here has some crappy artificial sweetener in it and I haven't been to the store yet.

I have a funny feeling about this...I'm feeling too darn good. Didn't even have my usual morning problem today for the very first time in many, many months. Either the other shoe will drop sometime really soon, or I really was poisoning myself. Sheesh, even my vision is like completely clear and unblurry, which I always thought was kind of strange. Yikes!

You know how they always say that we know what's really wrong with us, but it's hard to put into words and almost no way to prove it or make doctors understand? For so very long now I've been saying that I feel like I'm being poisoned. I used to think it was where I was living, which was one reason why I moved. Just couldn't put my finger on what it was.

I'll definitely try some of the stuff at the health food store that you suggested. They sound great! I'm also kind of beginning to like the idea of actually having a small amount of sugar when I really feel like having it but training my body to live basically without sweets. I think it could be better for me in the long run. Like everyone else here everytime they find something they think will work...I so hope this does the trick. :)
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

for baking and making sweets when you crave something. Here is a recipe for yummy honey candy:
    English Toffee
    1/2 c. finely chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
    1/2 c. butter
    1/2 c. honey
    Butter a shallow 8 x 8 pan. Sprinkle nuts over the bottom.
    In a saucepan, melt butter over med. heat. Gradually add honey, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Cook 4 to 7 min. until mixture turns a golden brown. Pour over nuts in pan and cool slightly. With a knife, mark into 1 inch squares. Cool completely and break into pieces along lines.

I don't know if you can have dairy, but this is a good recipe.
    Terri