First SS doctor appointment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Dec 23, 2010.

1. dzlady

dzlady New Member

Well, I went to the first appointment and she was a medical doctor. She's in a building with mental health doctors, so I was a bit shocked when she started doing this and that. She spent a whole 8 minutes with me. Most of that time was spent asking me questions about medical history. Then she started poking and moving me this way and that way...quickly. I'm sorry, my body dont do that, quickly. My gosh it hurt so bad. I'm not one to show my pain, but she had me wincing in pain. Asking me if this hurt or that hurt but then she had already moved onto another location. I wish there was some way to let them know how I felt now and how I feel tomorrow. That's when I'm really gonna feel bad. And with all the cooking that is needing to be done tomorrow, pre-Christmas cooking...guess the hubby and kid will be helping more than they expected to. haha

I dont know how I would gauge the outcome of this appointment.

She was incompetent, as far as I am concerned. When she took my blood pressure, she took it over my clothing, and pumped it up twice on the same arm. Not only that, the cuff was way too big for me.

I am hurting a lot now. Sitting here with a heating pad, covered up and feel like I'm dying. Plus the doctors office that I was seen in yesterday (my regular doctor) called this morning to tell me that my white blood cell count was elevated, which means I'm gonna be feeling sick within the next couple days. Wonderful. I'm sure tomorrow holds a lot more pain than today. We have a storm heading this way, so that doesnt help any.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Believe it or not, you can take a person's blood pressure over clothing. The newer doctors are taught not too, however, the paramedics/EMTs do this all the time. My mom just recently saw an "old school" doctor and he laughs at some of the things that doctors are taught today in medical school. His opinion is that doctors today rely too much on prescriptions and not enough on common sense. He also does blood pressure over clothes.

As to an elevated white blood cell count, that usually indicates an infection. If you don't feel sick now, there is no reason to believe that you will feel any worse in a few days time. Don't talk yourself into something if you're not feeling it :)
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had to see a doc for SS whom I deemed incompetent. He was also rude, which didn't elevate him in my eyes. Despite all that, his report to SS supported my claim. I'm hoping this doc will help you to get your case favorably judged.

It is still better to take BP on the naked arm. If you take it over clothing, you will likely get a different reading. The American Heart Assn. wants it taken on the left arm after you have been sitting with both legs on the floor for at least five minutes. The arm should be relaxed and elevated, with support, at least as high as the heart. I've had nurses and docs who knew how to take it and many who did not. I take my own at home with an automated cuff which has been calibrated. I also have one of those cuffs I can use to manually take it myself. I am on BP meds and keep a BP journal. But, I digress...

Good luck to you and don't let these docs discourage you. I hope you have a good atty. who will gather his or her own questionnaires from your docs.

Love, Mikie
  4. grannymo4

grannymo4 New Member

I also recently had to se a doc for ss. he spent about 4 min in the room with me. took my blood pressure, checked my ears and wanted my medical history. He told me he respected my neurologist, and then wanted to know if I had been seen by a psychologist. Who knows what he will report to ss.
  5. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

NOT SURE WHATS GOING ON. I WENT THROUGH THE RINGER WITH 18 DOCTORS. I DECIDED TO HIRE AN ATTORNEY, BINDER & BINDER, THE BEST CHOICE I EVER MADE. THEY TAKE 25 PERCENT NOT TO EXCEED 5,500. THEY DID IT ALL, EVEN SENT THEIR LAWYER WITH ME TO MY HEARING. THE PROCESS TOOK A WHILE BUT WELL WORTH IT. GOD BLESS FOY
  6. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

NOT SURE WHATS GOING ON. I WENT THROUGH THE RINGER WITH 18 DOCTORS. I DECIDED TO HIRE AN ATTORNEY, BINDER & BINDER, THE BEST CHOICE I EVER MADE. THEY TAKE 25 PERCENT NOT TO EXCEED 5,500. THEY DID IT ALL, EVEN SENT THEIR LAWYER WITH ME TO MY HEARING. THE PROCESS TOOK A WHILE BUT WELL WORTH IT. GOD BLESS FOY