First Time Back to Work Tomorrow Scared Advice Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deniset524, Dec 7, 2006.

1. deniset524

deniset524 New Member

I am starting a new job tomorrow after not working for over a year. I had to quit my job because of FMS, and was then not offered a contract the next year. (I was an at-will employee, so everything was legal - grrr). I was so sick, and was literally in bed for almost 30 days straight - tried all different types of medication, etc. A lot of the problem at the time was the boss that I had, who told me that I was "a position, not a person."

I had not realized how much all of this had affected me until tonight, as I get ready to start a new job - I am scared to death. While I want to work, and I am feeling so much better - I am so worried that I will get sick again, and I never want to get to that horrible, run-down place again. This job is in a different field, and we live in a different town, so I don't know why I can't talk myself out of this "funk."

Has anyone else been in this predicament or have any words or wisdom or advice? Anything is appreciated! Thanks!
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Your concern is normal. If you begin to feel overwhelmed, you can always go to the bathroom and give yourself the opportunity to calm down.

Tell yourself that you need to take one step at a time so you don't get over-stressed.

If you accept that there will be some "hiccups" in the road, you won't be so "taken aback" when they happen. It is normal to take awhile to "get up to speed" when starting a new job. You will actually learn the new work faster if you don't stress yourself out.

I know that is easier said than done-------

We all want to not make any mistakes or repeat an unpleasant experience.

I'm saying a prayer for you that you find calm. Soft hugs.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/07/2006]