first time here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gailf, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Gailf

Gailf New Member

Hello everyone; this is my first time at this website. I've been suffering alone for years without knowing about this wonderful resource. I am a type 1 diabetic for the past 23 years but think that I've had chronic fatigue syndrome for an even longer period of time. I went on a diabetes website and was shocked to find out that many diabetics also suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome; as I do. I was misled all of these years and told that it is very unusual to have both disorders. All I know is that at 17 years old; I acquired some kind of virus; after which I never felt the same again and it kicked off all of my medical problems that I would suffer from for the rest of my life. There was no name for this back then; it was just attributed to my "nerves"; as I was always a nervous person. Then in college I found out I had hypoglycemia; but thought that would correct itself because everything was always blamed on my nerves. Within a few years; I developed Type 1 diabetes and there finally was a name for what I had been feeling for 6 years; but this has never explained my malaise; constantly swollen lymph glands, slight fevers, and the accompanying muscle aches like I have a chronic flu state. Of course my blood sugars are affected when my lymph glands flare up which has become much worse as I've gotten older; which makes my diabetes doubly hard to control. I know diabetes is an auto-immune disorder; but is chronic fatigue syndrome considered also an auto-immune process? This would make sense because I've read that if you have one auto-immune disorder; you could be prone to developing others also. Does anyone have info about this? I would welcome all responses; especially from everyone else who might have a similar story. Thank you for allowing me to tell you about myself. I look forward to all responses.
  2. WELCOME this is a wonderful site, with tons of info. I hope you enjoy it.
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Welcome to the board!!

I think that CFS is considered auto immune illness. I have always considered it to be. I have lichen sclerosis, also auto immune illness. Definatly with one, you tend to get more.

4. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Glad you found us.

Whether or not CFS is an autoimmune disease isn't known yet. It may very well turn out that way but I don't think there has been much succes in treating with steroids which I think usually are used to treat other autoimmune disorders.

If you want, fill out your profile so we can know you better.

Shar
  5. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Hello, I have had this DD all my life a little by little getting worse. Thats just me, I've heard very similar stories like yours here though. You will definatly find much info here.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Comon in. Lots of nice people here who can provide info, share experiences, etc.

Check out the library above (in purple) for articles on a variety of topics.
  7. misskoji

misskoji Member

Just wanted to say welcome to you!

Hugs
    Deanna