First Time on a message board

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjschlotte, Aug 24, 2005.

1. kjschlotte

kjschlotte New Member

Hi, I am 41 yrs old and have fm, ibs , depression TMJ and anxiety. I have subscribed to the immune support newsletter for about a year but this is the first time I have gone into or used the message board. I live in small town in Iowa, and have found the more people I talk to the more I find out have FM. In our town that I know of there are 10 of us that actually admit to having FM. It is sad because most are afraid to admit they have the disease, for fear of being talked about.

I have been off work since Aug 2001. When diagnosed with FM, I was having migranes 24 hours a day 7 days a week and taking 2Advil tablets 7xs a day. I had such a bad kidney infection I had to be put in the hospital because they feared my organs would start shutting down. The funny part of it is I couldn't feel the pain from the kidney's. My DR. said it was because I was in so much pain all the time, I couldn't distiguish. It is because of my family doctor That I am where I am today.

From the beginning she had me documenting everything. I had a notebook with a page for each day. I documented How I felt in the morning, when I rested, what activity's I performed, when I took medicine, How it affected me, My emotions and the emotions of the individuals around me. At the time it I assumed the reason was so she could treat me correctly. I found out in November of 2001 why she was having me document everything. It was at my 12 week family leave date that she told me that I would never be able to go back to my job as Project Manager/Computer Programmer or as a CPA/Accountant. She said I probably have had FM for about 10 years and she wasn't sure if it would every go into a remission state. She also said it is probably what caused my 2 live pregnancy's to be so difficult and my numerous miscarraiges, (1 being at 6 mos). She told me I had a choice. My Family or a on and off job. WHo would hire someone who doesn't know if they can be relied upon to be at work every day. Since my income was half of our familys lively hood it was going to be financially difficult.

My Doctor had me file for SS along with LTD. I was fortunate to be awarded my SS in 2/02, but as everyone knows. I had to fight the LTD for almost 3 more years. They don't recognize FM. I finally settled in 6/04 with 18000 in attorney fees and a settlement equal to 1 years pay before taxes.

I read everything I can get me hands of about FM but reading the message board I have learned alot also dont feel as crazy as I sometimes do, since so many of you experience the same things I do. I struggle daily not being able to do all the things I used to do. But a phrase I read in the FM Aware magazine sticks in my mind. It came from a Doctor to a patient. Both having FM the patient asks the Doctor "How do you cope with this and live a normal life?".

The Doctor responded " I accepte it"

Well I have rambled enough. thanks kjschlotte
  2. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome to a great board with lots of caring, supportive and understanding people. I am so glad you have been reading the board and have already learned so much. I am sorry you are going through all this as well, but happy you found us.

When every you may feel like no one understands and we have all been there...We Do understand!!

Welcome Aboard
    Hugs
    Bluerose
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I found this a few years ago when I didn't know much about FM. It has opened my eyes to what ohers must endure with other problems along with the FM.

Please come back often and post.
  4. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Hosw fortunate you are to have that many people in your small area that can understand what you are going through! Not that it's a good thing that you ALL have fibro-certainly don't mean that, but to have a ready-made support group! Wow, what some of us would do for that!!

I'm so sorry you've had to give up your job. Many of us here know how difficult doing that has been. Financially, emotionally, in so many ways. Then the whole fight with LTD and SSD. It really drains you and makes you feel sub-human at times.

This is such an informative board-you will gain so much here, and the people are amazing! I hope you will stay around and let us get to know you better. Sounds like you have plenty that you can share with us, too! Take care. PG
  5. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

It is getting so hard to sit at computer, but I wanted to try to say welcome to every new person today! There are so many that have just come here. I hope everyone finds help and understanding like I did. Jana
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to have you join us, so glad you have others to relate too, and a good doctor interested in your condition. That sure is a plus for any of us with FM or CFS!

Again, welcome, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

Glad you found the board. I too have periods of 24/7 headaches, it is NOT pleasant with my 2 and 3 year old girls! They love to scream and holler when they run through the house and it just about makes my head explode. I also had miscarraiges and both of my girls were high risk difficult pregnancies. I was just diagnosed in June. I thought breastfeeding and pregnancy were what were making me so tired...then I thought I was just fat and lazy, only when I started having arthritis symptoms did I get help.

Sorry to ramble, it is nice to meet you!
    Dani
  8. Meekah

Meekah New Member

So sorry you're not feeling well, but I'm very happy you found this board.

We are here for you!!

Hugs and Prayers
    Meekah
  9. kac1960

kac1960 New Member

you decided to post after reading mine. Life is difficult with fm, some days worse than others.
    I am also from Iowa , I was beginning to think I was the only person in this state with fm, unlike you I have not met anyone with fm, that could be because I am not very social anymore.
    Anyway it is nice to meet you, look forward to hearing from you again.
    Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2005]
  10. lease79

lease79 New Member

~*WELCOME*~ to the board :D
  11. heartinheaven

heartinheaven New Member

The message board and chat room is a great place to feel accepted and to learn. United we stand! Divided, we don't get off the couch!
    Welcome and blessings to you!

H Michael
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2005]