First time ssadisiability ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momwinterwhite, Sep 1, 2006.

1. momwinterwhite

momwinterwhite New Member

Hello everyone ,
    I would like to know if anyone has recived their ssa disiability. THe first time you applied for fibromialgia
    and related illness? I have filed and despertly need the
    medicare ins.I recently lost my health ins.because I could not
    work anymore or pay the high cobra cost. I am in lots of pain and need my meds . sorry dont mean to be depressing
    I know you all have this terriable pain also it just
    sometimes gets so unbearably..Love and prayers

momwinterwhite
  2. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

I was approved the first time. I applied in November 2005 and was approved this past July. I have major depression and anxiety disorders as well as FMS.
  3. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Dunno...maybe I was actually lucky, 30 years ago, when I showed up at the Disability office and filed because of RA when my PCP sent me there.

Also, I happened to get a very empathic worker. He took one look at my swollen mitts, interviewed me for a short while, and wrote on my paperwork "This woman needs help NOW."

I have no idea what would have happened if I had known anything about CFS or FMS, and dared to try to apply on those grounds.

This was also much before it became standard practice to deny applicants at their first, second, or (I've heard of this!) third try.

Lea.
  4. mevy

mevy New Member

Hello momwinterwhite
    Just to let you know that good things can happen. I have a long list of health issues, and on lots of medications. I last worked July 05. Rheumy and PCP said I should consider SSDI as they didn't see how I would be able to work my job any longer.

I am (or was) a Medical Assistant. I was on my feet or sitting at the front desk all day for 9-10 hours a day. Loved my job!!!!

It killed me to have to quit. I applied for SSDI om March 30 2006 and recieved my 1ST CHECK for 5 Months back pay on JUNE 5 2006. I had not even got my approval letter yet. I was totally shocked. I am 57 years old so I think that is a large factor. However It does take 24 months before Medicare kicks in from the time you were eligible for SSDI.

Wishing you good luck!!!

Keep on keeping on,
    Mevy
  5. momwinterwhite

momwinterwhite New Member

Thanks for the info.I appreciate it.
    Love momwinterwhite
  6. rmsjohns

rmsjohns New Member

I have heard that having more than one problem helps, but Fibromyalgia is never somthing to sneeze about. It hurts a lot, and yes we do need the money because we were certainly not working just for the fun of it.

My income dropped 33% this year. My hubby took a permanent job instead of staying a contractor just for the medical benefits so I could stay home. That was a pay cut, plus mine. I just found a job I loved, secretary in a middle school with 8 weeks off in the summer and all school holidays off. I loved it, but could no longer drive or work a full day due to fatigue.

I applied with Reactive Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Cosochondritis and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I take 14 medications and 5 vitamins and supplements. And I hope being in Physical therapy will help my case too. I am currently in it for the costochondritis pain.

The woman as SS said it would take about 3 months for an answer, but sometimes it does take 5 months. I filed close to the 5 month mark from when I had to quit.

I do have a senior in HS, and I will get 10 months of benefits for her too. Boy do we need it, we also have one in college but he is not a dependent now. And another one getting married in Oct.

Good luck, I hope things go well for you.
    MK
  7. minxlinx

minxlinx New Member

I applied before the six month waiting period was over. Instead of applying on line I applied in person, and when the interview was over the woman told me when my payments would start and how much they would be. I remember looking incredulous and remarking that most people don't get approved the first time. She told me don't believe everything you hear. Needless to say, I was approved, just days after the six month waiting period expired. My payments started immediately.

I can't help but think that the people taking your application have an impact on its approval.

Good luck

Ariel