First Visit at FFC Torrance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Sep 13, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Today I had my first visit with the FFC in Torrance, CA. I will say, three of my doctors advised me they do not approve of the FFC protocol, however each of these doctors don't seem to have any real interest in CFS or Fibromyalgia except to provide pain medications, physical therapy, or offer antidepressants.

At the FFC I saw the nurse practitioner (but Dr.Holtorf was in the office and reviewed my case for the NP).

The nurse practitioner spent about 1 1/2 hrs examining me and reviewing the medical records I brought, and the form completed.

They did order lab work and asked if I wanted to have it all today or in two visits. I said "all today". The problem with so much blood being taken is the vein stops working. This happened to me. They wanted 22 tubes of blood, it took three different "sticks" because the vein would just stop working. I almost decided to come back to finish it, but finally she squeezed out the last tube.

They gave me two DVD videos of lectures by Dr. Holtorf explaining CFS, Fibro, and on Hormone Imbalances. The lecture on CFS and Fibro explains why they order so much blood work.

Since I have gastritis and a tendency to have cardiac arrythmias, the NP advised they would go "very slow" with me on any supplements, etc.

Based on my interview today I am starting on a low dose of Thyroid med, Bio Identical Progesterone and Estrogen hormones in cream form, Corvalen (a powder you mix with water twice a day) that is supposed to help fibromyalgia. I was also given a shot of Vit B-12 and Glutathione.

After I left, I did call the NP to ask a question before taking the Corvalen. She was with a patient and called back in about 20 minutes. She talked to me for ten minutes to answer my questions.

I have a feeling after my lab works comes back, they will make more recommendations. I am going back in two weeks. For me, I only live ten minutes from Dr. Holtorf's office.

My bill today was a little over $300. which included a book I bought there, and some supplement pills on the counter for "anxiety". They advised I submit the bills to my health carrier for reimbursement which I will.

It seems Dr. Holtorf is a big believer in Glutathione along with many other treatments. (My husband was very interested in that supplement 15 years ago).

I do feel I have been poisoned by the environment. I have exposure to pesticides in the past, plus alot of infections.

It looks like Dr. Holtorf is one of the very few doctors even trying to find out how to treat CFS and Fibromyalgia.

Most of us here have suffered so much for so many years. We have been ignored or mistreated by doctors. The video lecture by Dr. Holtorf really explains his theories.

It is pretty technical, but clearly he is aggresively researching and trying to help people with our conditions.

So far, the multi-faceted approach he takes seems to offer more "hope" than the hit and miss we get with most family doctors.

I will continue to report my experiences. I expect to go very slow, and try to stick with him. What does not work, I will pass on.

Has anyone else here been to the Torrance office of FFC?

2. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Hi PVLady,
    Let me know how you do at the FFC in Torrance. I've been wanting to try it but am skeptical because my primary doctor who specializes in endocrinology doesn't recommend it. But like you said, if no one else has an answer it's worth a try. Money is an issue for me right now so I won't be trying it any time soon.

Are you still going to see Dr. Chia?
    Take care, Theresa
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am not sure I will go with all recommended treatments etc., but I am curious about my lab results.
    Yes, I do plan to see Dr Chia also, but that is not until January.
    I did try the Corvalen and think it helps decrease muscle pain. My husband also took it and said it helped his muscle cramping.
    Yes, they know I am chemically sensitive, so we will see. I also have chronic gastritis so the NP already said they would be careful with supplements.
    I go back in 2 weeks.
    I am also most anxious to see if the BI hormone cream helps. That is compounded by a lab in CO and will be mailed to me.
    I am very careful what I take. I did discover my shot yesterday was glutathione and b-12.
    I will just wait and see what happens I guess.
  4. yesnettv

yesnettv New Member

That your first visit was positive!
    Dee Dee and Holtorf have helped make my life worth living!
    Today my PT guy said to me, "something is different and better with you today". Dee Dee and Holtorf had predicted about how long it was going to take for me to be almost normal.
    I am back to being able to do PT, with increasing pounds, without becoming exhausted. In my "previous life" I had been quite physically6 active. Very fit. Pre-olympic caliber and had kept myself at that level. I can even go for 30 minute walks without dying in excruciating pain!

My next step is going on HgH. I gotta get up the nerve and the commitment to give myself daily injections for six months or so. Inter4estingly, two orthopedists, one internist, a radiologist, my chiropractor, and my nutritionist all have recommended what Holtorf recommended. Not properly healing from two accidents.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hope they do wonderful things for you.
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks for the response.

Yesnettv - I am so glad you are better. I like Dee Dee also., she was very patient and considerate. You kind of feel like you finally came somewhere that you are understood.

I am continuing with the Corvalen for now and hope to have the bioid. hormones soon.