Fish Oil Capsules - Trouble Taking Them? - Then Read This!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Feb 23, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

My mother was told by her doc to take the coated fish oil capsules to help lower her chlorestrol.

She took them for a while, but then she said that she started tasting the fish oil even though they were coated capsules. So, she quit taking them.

She went back to the doc today and when she told him that she quit taking them and why, he told her TO PUT THE FISH OIL CAPSULES IN THE FREEZER and then take them frozen .... then she would not have this problem!

Has anyone else been told this?

Has anyone else tried freezing them?

I called my daughter (who is a physician) this evening and asked her if she had ever heard of this, and she said yes ... that she tells her patients to do the same thing! (Of course, then she wanted to know why I had not asked HER that question before when her grandmother first quit taking them!! I guess I was just too "foggy" to think of it!)

Janet
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Neat! I don't have a problem with my own (maybe the brand matters?), but that sounds like a good idea. Let us know if it works for your mom. :)
    (( )) Shannon
  3. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I can't take fish oil...I get terrible headaches.
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Refrigderation does similar. I don' tneed to though, I take 4/day of 1000 mgs capsules in the winter (takes care of winter itch and rarely need skin cream now), less in summer.

Jeanne
  5. achy

achy New Member

My doc reccomended them too...great for inflamation.

But I had to take them in am while hubby at work cause I'd burp fish for a few hours...ewwwwwww

thanks!
    achy
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

My mother said that by freezing her fish oil capsules, it has helped .... and no burping up the fish taste any more!
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I stopped taking them because of the fish oil burps, to be blunt about it.

Then, someone mentioned Krill Oil Capsules that you can buy from Pro-Health. They are not coated, and sometimes I get a bit of a fish taste in my mouth before I swallow them, but I never, never burp up fish! They are more expensive than regular fish oil pills, but I will take them. I wouldn't the others.

So, by freezing them, you never burp up fish taste?

Sue
  8. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I credit them with making my hair nails and skin improve. My hair seems shinier and healthier and my nails are stronger. My skin is also much more glowing. I'm pretty sure it's the fish oil. Lynn
  9. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

that you need to get the purest form you can (pharmcudical grade), that it is the impuritites in it that turn rancid. This only means if you have a problem you can't take the impurities. My husband can take anything but I need the better ones.

Hope I made sense, kind of foggy.
    Granny
  10. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Thanks for the great advice about freezing the fish oil capsules, Janet! This will be great in summer, especially, when the capsules seem to stick-together in clumps.

-OUCH-: My doctor just prescribed "Omacor" (omega-3-acid ethyl esters) which look like the fish oil capsules, except they are a little lighter in color. Wonder if this is similar stuff to the "Omegacor" capsules you mentioned.

Janice
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

My mother takes the coated Fish Oil capsules.

I take something called Super Omega Complex ... I think it has fish oil, flaxseed oil, borage oil, and one other thing in it. I never have had any problems with it--taste or anything. I get it at Wal-Mart.

I don't know anything about the Omegacor that someone else mentioned.

Janet
  12. marw

marw New Member

I worry about fish oil. I want to take, but am so highly allergic to shell fish, and even some other fish...depending I guess on where they have been swimming! How can I be sure they have no shell fish additives?

I also have this problem with Calcium sometimes.
    Thanks,
    Margaret
  13. Juloo

Juloo Member

There's no way in creation that he would touch fish oil otherwise (he's 9). The Coromega is expensive, but he's gotten used to the taste -- it's sort of like a tart orange pudding. A few weeks ago I saw a new flavor in a health food store -- the same orange, but with a hint of chocolate. It is really, REALLY tasty.

I just take regular, lemon-flavored cod liver oil. It took about a month to get used to it, though. I took capsules in the past, but they're just so darned BIG.
  14. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thanks for the advice - the fishy burps after taking them are horrible!
  15. BethM

BethM New Member

IMHO.... if you are seriously allergic to fish and shellfish, you might want to completely avoid fish oil capsules! Check with an allergist if you can, too. It's a good product (if you can take it) but NOT worth damaging yourself for!

Did you know that some forms of calcium are from shellfish (often oysters) ??? Be careful, ok??

You probably already know this, though.

You can get omega3 oils from ground flax seeds, also, and they taste great. Also from other nuts and seeds, and even some vegetables, but I'm not sure which ones. Guaranteed no fish!! I cannot tolerate the fish oil capsules either, so I eat the ground flax most days.

Peace,
    Beth.
  16. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't know much about the Flaxseed Oil but it does the same thing as the Fish Oil, doesn't it?
  17. marw

marw New Member

Beth,

Thanks for the warning!! I suspected as much because I have so much trouble with Fish Oils that I have almost given up. Do you think the Salmon Oil has it too? I do have trouble with lots of forms of calcium, too, but ended up just taking paln old Walgreen's Calcium and Vitamin D, which is not too bad.

Unfortunately, I cannot take Flaxseed Oil or any seed products at all! I would get instant Migraine. Sometime I will try to post the Migraine diet I have....I know lots of people here have Migraine....and if they follow this diet, it will cut them down enormously. But basiclly on the diet, you cannot have anything that germinates....no seeds (especially nuts) or seed/nut products, no yogart or yeast products, no soft cheeses, wines, beers, alchohol, or artificial additives, esp. sweeteners, chocolate, .....there are a lot of others. On the other hand, there are many good thing you CAN eat. I have a food list of both! It is just a problem when trying to get the supplements figured out.

Thanks again for the info!!!

Appreciate it.

Margaret

[ advertisement ]