Fish oil supplement... non burping brand????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Sep 5, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I eat ground flax seeds nearly every day, with good results (slowly) for skin, hair, some help with fibro symptoms. However, I'd like to take fish oil capsules too.

Is there truly such a thing as fish oil capsules that don't 'repeat' and cause nasty fish taste and fish breath?

I can eat fish without problems, but the oil capsules make me ill. Maybe because I don't have a gallbladder?

I've seen ads for fish oil capsules that claim not to cause fishy tasting burping and nausea, but don't know what to believe.

Anyone have any advice about this?

Peace,
    Beth.[This Message was Edited on 09/05/2005]
  2. BethM

BethM New Member

Have you noticed any changes since you've been taking the Orthomega?

thanks,
    beth.
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm glad you mentioned right off that you lack a gallbladder because that makes crucial differences in your digestive abilities, and makes my answer to you very different than what it would have been.

You may not be able to find a brand to suit you, but if you do, you will surely have to stick to small dose brands like 500 mgs or less, spread them out and always take w/ food.

A more likely way to get all your Omegas, w/out using fish oil, which I suspect you can't tolerate having dumped into your gut because of lack of g.b. is to use Hemp Seed oil. This gives you an excellent range of Omega 3-6-9 and your body doesn't have to convert LA to GLA and other complicated things that many of our sick bodies cannot do due to sickness burden.

I could go into different ways your lack of g.b. limits your choices, but you may know all about that.

Jeanne
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

Odd you should mention hemp seed oil. I bought a bag of the hemp seeds a couple of weeks ago and ground a small amount with my flax seeds.

Does hemp seed have a better ratio of omega fats than flax? I don't know much about hemp, other than that it is very healthy.

Thank you Canada for having the foresight to allow it to be grown and harvested and marketed!

Can you tell me anything else about hemp seeds and oil?

thanks,
    Beth.
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

It comes in packets and is orange-flavored. I know several people who have used it and they tell me it tastes kind of like a Dreamsickle and no fish burps. Maybe you could e-mail the company for a sample first.

They carry it at a few of our discount pharmacies and you can get it online.

Jan[This Message was Edited on 09/05/2005]
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I use "Nordic Naturals" brand Omega-3 purified fish oil capsules...they are pharmaceutical grade, GUARANTEED not to make you burp, also not to have any heavy metals like Mercury, etc.

I have NEVER noticed any "fishy" taste at all, they are true to their word. These are 1000mg, though, I bought them at Wild Oats and did not look to see if they came in a smaller dose.

These are the only kind I'd buy now....

Good luck,

Pam
  7. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I was going to say Coramega too.
    Tigger
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Neptune Krill Oil, available at the ProHealth store, might also be an option. The description says that it is absorbed faster and more effeciently that fish oil, but I don't know if that holds true for people who do not have a gall bladder.

It says the Omega-3s (EPA & DHA) are present as phospholipids, rather than the triglycerides found is fish oil. Maybe Jeanne or someone can tell you if that will make any difference to you gall-bladderless digestive system.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

They make a "coated" capsule that prevents the burping and fishy taste. Just like the coated aspirin tablets that won't irritate your stomach lining. My mother takes these.
  10. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I get Royal king Alaska Deep Sea fish oil concentrated capsules from my accupuncturist. They are 360 EPA 240 DHA & 1000 mg. I've been taking them since April & never noticed any problems. Take 3-4 daily, depending on all the other pills I have to take.

If they were to cause problems I would have them as I've got a sensitive system.

best thoughts
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Maybe not. the way I feel now, it's a waste of my time and energy. Not that you are in any way, but the fact that thread s arbitrarily keep disappearing just knocks the ambition out of me.

Jeanne
  12. BethM

BethM New Member

yep, you are a bunch of silly folks, especially Ralph! *g* Silly but well informed.

I didn't know bile is a supplement. Sounds kind of yucky, really. Where does it come from? I eat mostly a plant based diet, so I'd really rather not take cow bile or wherever they get it.

I have to think on this, decide how brave I want to be. Last time I tried fish oil capsules I was pretty miserable, digestively, for a day or so.

Thank you all for the good info!!!!

It's so good to have this board and these wonderful people in my life. You are all a life line.

Peace,
    Beth.