Fish oil: What has it done for you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elastigirl, Jan 25, 2006.

1. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I bought some fish oil -- frankly because it was free after rebate -- but also because I heard it was good for us. Sadly, I'm not really up-to-date on why it's good for us.

(I'm a vegetarian, so capsules are one way to get fish oil without actually having to gag it down via eating ;)!)

Here's what I've noticed since I started taking it:

The tight, gravely, achy pain that was like an encasement around my neck & spine is virtually gone. I keep finding myself wondering out loud, "What's different? What's different?" My body was so used to THAT pain being with me everyday that my brain is wondering where the heck it went. Good riddance!

Also, my blood pressure up-and-down swings have leveled out a bit. Another an odd change my brain can't get used to! I was so used to panting and getting flushed over the least little exertion. Hmmm. Is it the fish oil helping with this?

I've only been taking it about ten days. So far, it seems worth taking to me :).

What did you notice after you started taking it?
  2. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

I have been taking it for 7 days, which is probably not enough time to see a difference yet, I guess. I am actually taking it for a stomach/intenstinal problem I am having that the doctor suggested could be Crohn's or something similar. He told me fish oil is good for inflammation, and he says my intestines are inflamed right now. I hope it does eventually help because I don't want to get a colonoscopy done which he says is the next step. Yuck.

Anyway, a tip that might help anyone who gets the fishy aftertaste - buy the "enteric coated" capsules.
  3. tngirl

tngirl New Member

So maybe thats why my stomach is so much better! I sure hope so, I didn't know what to attribute it to. I've been taking them since the last part of November.
  4. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

If your doctor suggested colonoscopy you really should do it. It could help detect any possible problems that you may have, like polyps, diverticulitis. So knowing that you have problems with your intestines, I would suggest you do it and not try to wiggle out of it ;)

If you hate the taste of fish oil, look for one wit lemon. It actually is pretty tasty. Personally I do not know if it was helping me because I did not stick to it long enough. I am going to go back and see if I can stick to it longer and make my own mind. I guess though even if it does not result in a substantial improvement, it is still good for us.
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

even the capsules gave me terrible reflux even on the Prilosec, so I was unable to "stomach" it. In UK I know some mental hospitals use fish oil for bi polar with success.
    Crom
  6. skinnymini

skinnymini New Member

I have been taking salmon oil now for about two months..I started taking a couple of 1000mg capsules and then read where 7000mg was recommended for heart patients so I increased my dose to 7000mg. (I am not a heart patient and have never had heart trouble of any kind.) Within a few days my FM muscle pain and "buzzing" diminished significantly!!!! Now I have barely any muscle pain at all. I spread the capsules out over the day and I also take magnesium, Vitamin C and E, selenium, calcium and malic acid. Sometimes I also take borage oil or flax seed oil as these are also omega 3 oils and are very healthy because they help with your metabolism at the cellular level. I have a friend who swears large doses of Evening Primrose Oil cured her CFS or atleast reduced the symptoms so much that she is almost symptom free. I am allergic to evening primrose oil so I substituted the fish oil for it and got what I believe is a comparable result.
    I strongly recommend that you try large doses of fish oil or other omega 3 oils as they are not harmful as far as I know. Just make sure you are not allergic first. I am interested in hearing other reports.......
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2006]
  7. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

Thank you for all of the responses :). I just read in "First" magazine Feb 2006 issue that Fish Oil can reduce irritability by 50% ;).

I was using Noni Juice for irritability. Noni Juice is 62 cents per dose vs. fish oil at just seven cents a dose! I have found it's true, I am less irritable, and I do need less Noni Juice.

However, Noni Juice still works great on my driving anxiety, so I use everytime I have to drive :).

Any more experiences?