Fish Oil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jan 15, 2007.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Anyone here take any kind of Fish Oil? Heard it was good for joints and other things?

Kriket
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

and keep them in the freezer -- no problem with fishy burps.

Thanks,

Karen :)
  3. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I take Carlson brand super omega 3 fish oil capsusles. It is good stuff. Many nutritionists, holistic drs recommend it. Each pill is 1000 mg. I take 2 or 3 a day and usually don't have a problem w fishy burps. It is supposed to be good for the brain, heart, and help w depression. and other stuff I can't think of now. Don't know if it helps joints.
    Try it!

You can also buy it in liquid form if you prefer.
  4. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

My wife has replaced advil with 3 big capsules a day. It can really reduce some pain in some people.

Watch out for heavy metal, though. Fish tend to be heavy on mercury.
  5. RedHeadEMT

RedHeadEMT New Member

Hi Kriket!

I, too, take fish oil, omega 3 fatty acids. One pill with my MVI in the morning with my breakfast. I just started a week or two ago because I read somehwere that it has great anti-inflammatory properties. I thought I'd give it a go!

I looked at your profile and your dogs are adorable!! I love your fireplace, too. When are ya getting married? You're so young like me, having to deal with this crap! Didn;t we get jipped? hehe

Anyways, take care and gentle hugs!

K
  6. kriket

kriket New Member

Looks like there are a lot here that actually do take fish oil of some sort. I've heard a lot talk about the Omega Three Brand of fish oil. Heard it is supposed to be pretty good.

Redheademt- Thanks for all the compliments on my little doggies and the fireplace. It is burning wide open right now. It is 20 something degrees here.

I'm not sure when I'm gonna get married. I have severe social anxiety, so I can't stand the thought of a wedding and being around that many people. I think I will elope. It's cheaper and there won't be so much tension trying to prepare for a wedding. That's for the birds.

Kriket
  7. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I had been taking fish oil prior to my hospitalization recently for Crohn's, Massive Infection and Inflammation...

After 3 weeks, when my orders were given for disscharge, my doc came in with a print out off the net for a certain fish oil...He asked if I would be willing to add this to my regimen...One of his patients has no more Crohn's symptoms due to it and he wanted to see what happened for me...It helps, inflammation, ep. in the colon, joint health, and what ssurprised me, he said depression too, which is a main concern for him regarding my overall outcome...I am against all things pharma related and have bad reactions to mosst drugs as well as having Crohn's/UC, I can't even take baby aspirin without bleeding and since my ordeal am now terrified with anything that goes in my mouth for fear of repeating that nightmare...

I researched and found the best for me...NOW brand Omega 3, it has a certain EPA and DHA level and I take 2 at lunch, with my meal...I do think my brain is benefitting as well but I am on prednisone too so I can't be sure, but then again the fibro fog has been sshowing itself since I am weaning off the pred so I won't know the full benefits of the fish oil til I get rid of all the other things...

But I thought it sstrange, that my doc was so adamant, after almosst losing me, and denying me all the things I asked for in testing and drugs, to push fish oil on me, this certain dose, and say that he thought it was important enough to use now, esp. because he knows when I wean off all these drugs, I won't be going back...He also smirked at me as if he 'knows' something...I figured this, he went from demanding all these evil drugs to stop my disease quickly, saw they almosst killed me, then tried to convince me that remicade and imuran would be my only options and I must do them now or die, to sending me home with a diet I revised and adding fish oil, d, calcium and my pred weaning along with ativan at night and 4 weeks later, Crohn's GONE...Joint pain bad, can't walk well yet, don't know of I will ever fully recover but I am working on it...

So fish oil, omega 3, and no fish burps with NOW brand, seems to be benfeicial to me and I hope the ultimate 'secret' for my inflammatory issue...

Let us know which you choose...Please don't go cheap on this product, The NOW is less expensive and is harvested in acceptable places (I forget where now)and for $9.00 for 120, a 2 month supply, can't go wrong for that...I wouldn't go without it now...Peace~Alicia Just wanted to add that I saw your post on snow in Texas...Boy, you got some now...And that wood stove i coming in handy...just like mine...:) SStay warm and safe,I see the ice is bad. Our sstorm has just about moved outta Maine, now to clean up...Too bad I will not be pushing a shovel this year, maybe just throwing a snowball to my boys, that's the extent of my romp in the snow, til I recover...I hope!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2007]
  8. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I found that the pain ( arthritis) in my hands was much allieviated from using it. Now my doctor has me on Omacor, it ends up costing a lot less than buying it OTC with my insurance, plus I feel like I am getting a good quality item as well. It sounds like we should all be taking fish oil from all the good info that keeps turning up about it!
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Ever since childhood, I had big raised bumps on my upper arms. They were sort of a cross between pimples and a rash, except there was no sensitivity or pain.

After I started taking fish oil (2 gel caps per day) they went away. I never figured out what else the fish oil does for me, but if helped with that I feel like my body must need it in general. And having attractive arms is not a bad thing, of course.

My husband finds fish oil to make him more calm and tranquil. It's the only supplement he takes every day, and he is concerned enough about it that he always points it out to me when he is running low so that I will be sure to have enough available for him.
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

Well, I know one thing, if it would help me to feel more calm and tranquil, that right there is more than enough reason to take it.

Kriket