fixable solutions for college students with this issue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeunefille, Oct 6, 2005.

1. jeunefille

jeunefille New Member

I am 21 years old and trying to cope with this illness. I am currently taking four classes, although I'm not sure how realisitic this is going to prove as time wears on. I just received my first D on a midterm that I actually studied for.

I am having difficulties with my loud roommate who often bangs her things around in the mornings, causing me to get less and less sleep every night (tonight it was about 4). She also constantly has people over and claims I can stay there, but it is always too loud for me to sleep.

Is there anything I can do short of getting my own room? I have tried talking to her, but her roommate last year had the same problems with her.
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

sorry, this situation will not do your health or your studying any good. We have sleep disturbance and sensitivity to noise, amongst our myriads of symptoms as it is.

Obviously she's not going to let you interfere with her 'fun', if you've already spoken to her and her roomate last year had those problems.

If she has any sensitivity at all, maybe you could let her read some literature on fibro / cfs but she doesnt seem very sensitive to me.

If possible can you transfer to a room with a quieter person?

Failing that I think you would need to get your own room and I imagine that will be more money.

This is very unfair, can you talk to someone in authority?

good luck

love
    Rosie

3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Wow, that sounds rough. I wish you luck with the 4 classes. That would be hard enough without the unconscious roommate. Some people simply take up more than their share of the planet.

There is a thread--I think from yesterday--that was started by a young guy named Wolverine. He's having bad sleep issues and the responses to his questions have lots of good ideas for coping with it.

I'm sorry you have fm AND a bad roommate. That's just way too much. I can't imagine how I would have dealt with fm at 21. I thought I was bulletproof until I was about 30.

Take care!

Francie
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

If her roommate from last year had the same problem, I doubt that you will be able to teach your roommate to be a civilized human being. I hate to see you have to pay for a private room, though. Is there a 'study dorm' or some such thing that has and enforces 'quiet hours'. That might be a good place for you to live.