Fixing My Vulvodynia/Stubborn Yeast Infection

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi All--

I've been spending the past six months trying to fix a stubborn case of vulvodynia (tenderness of the outside of the genitals). It turned out to be a yeast infection (probably candida glabrada rather than candida albicans) that was resistant to most treatments.

I went through a lot to get this fixed. However, some women with vulvodynia or refractory yeast infections have them for years and years. I thus thought it was important to share my experience.

First I'm going to give my own tale. Then I will provide some information on vulvodynia in general.

If you want to hear the agony that other women on the board have been through, check out the post called

Vulvodynia ("Yeast Infection")

which I just pushed to the top of the board.

After hearing these stories, I was afraid I'd never be cured. I'm very happy to share this story and hope that others will benefit from it, therefore.

Love, Lisa

Here is my story:

I got an vaginal infection last summer. It wasn't itchy or painful like a regular yeast or bacterial infection. The problem was that the outside was very tender and got sore (to the point of actually bleeding) with friction. My libido went down too.

My internist said he didn't see any yeast and thought maybe it was a bacterial infection. He gave me Metro-Gel. No go.

My gynecologist said that he saw a _little_ yeast and a little irritation. He said that he was seeing more Diflucan-resistant yeast these days and gave me Terazol-7. No go. I did another course of Terazol-7. Still no go.

Just for the heck of it, I bought some Monistat and tried that. Still no go.

Throughout this, I had no typical yeast symptoms. No discharge whatsoever (except of course from all those creams and gels). No internal itching or pain or burning. Just extreme tenderness outside, which was particularly bad with any sort of sex as well as from things like wearing a thong.

Then I got a debilitating fungal sinus infection and was on Diflucan for a whole month. The infection got all better.

About three weeks later, the problem came back as bad as before. I tried more Diflucan. No response this time.

I went to the gynecologist again. He prescribed capsules of boric acid, 600 mg twice a day.

He said that whatever sort of yeast it was, making the vagina more acidic would kill it. I asked him, what if the boric acid doesn't work? He said he was out of ideas.

I used the boric acid capsules a couple of times. They burned holes in my vagina to the point that a bit of blood came out even though I did not have my period. I decided this was not a great idea, especially since I wasn't sure it would work.

I had an appointment with my CFS doctor (in a city 200 miles away) the following month. I hoped maybe he would have a suggestion.....he's very good at this sort of annoying problem.

Meanwhile, I threw a lot of natural stuff at the problem. Probiotics of all sorts, goldenseal suppositories, whole garlic cloves for days. (If kept moist, garlic will remain as good as new _forever_, it seems.) AZO homeopathic remedy. No response.

I also mixed up my own potion of ampothericin-b (similar to Nystatin but better for resistant yeast.....I had used it orally in the past) with a water-based lube. No response.

Finally, I talked to my doctor and told him I had a hard problem for him. When I explained it, he said, "Oh, that's easy. What you need is a comprehensive plan."

He then said he was going to give me boric acid suppositories with probiotics to kill the internal infection, as well as a cream to temporarily soothe the outside. (Suppositories would spread the acid out more evenly in the vagina, therefore preventing any one part from getting too big a dose and becoming burned and bleeding like the powder had done.)

I went home and waited for the compounding pharmacy to call me with the prescription. Three weeks went by and I got frustrated, blaming the delay on the doctor's administrative staff.

I decided I would make my own version, and mixed some of the contents of the boric acid capsules with some probiotics and some Replens (a three-day vaginal lubricant). I inserted it with a tampon applicator. I started getting lots and lots of itching inside.

I later realized this was from die-off. There were LOTS of yeast in there......for some reason, they were hiding and only making the vulva sore.

Finally I got my doctor's prescription. It turns out that these were potions that he had invented specifically for me (isn't that amazing! and nice!) and that it was hard for him to find a compounding pharmacy to make them.

The boric acid/probiotic suppositories (I think suspended in glycerin) were about $20 for 30.

The cream was $100 for two tubes. It contained the following:

* Diflucan
    * Benadryl
    * Vitamin E
    * Ketoprofen ( an NSAID)
    * Grapeseed oil
    * Cromolyn (an anti-inflammatory often used for asthma)

The cream worked within a day. The tenderness didn't go away entirely, but it decreased markedly to the point that sex was possible. (I did get a little sore.)

For the first month, I used one suppository (300 mg) each night. I got lots and lots of itching. In the morning, I got lots and lots and lots of bubbles in the toilet.

My doctor had told me that he thought that would be enough, but this was a new experiment for him too. Plus my immune system is bad in general (and probably hindered further since I was using the antiviral Famvir at the same time).

Thus, I went on for another month, using two suppositories (300 mg) each night. More itching. Bubbles gradually decreased in numbers.

I then was back to full functioning with no symptoms. Yea!!!!!

A few days ago, I got a bit of itching and decided I needed a refresher. After a couple of days of suppositories, the problem seems to be gone again.

To give an extra push, I inserted capsules of my doctor's super probiotic (60 billion microorganisms each). Hopefully that will get some real yeast-killing action going so that I'll be totally fixed for good (without having to use any more boric acid).

I'm now convinced this is going to work permanently. The worst that could happen is that I'd have to keep using the boric acid on occasion. (Apparently the problem is caused by yeast inside, and no yeast can live in an acidic environment. Resistant strains thus should not ever be a problem.)

I suppose it should make me a bit nervous that boric acid also is used as a roach poison, but both my gyne and my CFS doctor said it's perfectly safe, and at this point I don't even care. A girl should have the use of all her body parts!

By the way, I found out just before I started the winning combination of boric acid suppositories and external cream that what I had actually was "vulvadynia," a condition that many women struggle with for years and years and years.

God bless my doctor. It's not the first time he's saved me from ruin. It's nice to have a miracle worker in your life.

Note again that the boric acid suppositories should work for any kind of yeast infection. (I don't think they'd work for bacterial infections though. This is based on the fact that my doctor put probiotics in the boric acid suppositories and thus apparently thinks bacteria can live in acidic environments.)

I wouldn't advise inserting capsules of boric acid powder, though. The fact that they don't spread around enough is bad with regard to burning the flesh as well as not getting to all the yeast.

If I couldn't get suppositories, I would thin out the boric acid with Replens or some other substance and then insert it. (Conceivably you could freeze it into chunks first if you didn't have an applicator.)

The expensive cream my doctor concocted would be optional. Obviously if there's not an external problem, it would be unnecessary. And even with vulvadynia, it wasn't necessary for long-term improvement. It was just a nice touch to get me started.

I would think the compounding pharmacy we used would supply both these items to any doctor requesting them. If not, my doctor probably would give the recipe. Here are the numbers:

Belmar Pharmacy
    800-525-9473

Dale Guyer, M.D.
    317-580-9355
    [This Message was Edited on 01/14/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Here is an article about vulvodynia from the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients.

The type I have/had is Cyclic Vulvovaginitis (CVV).

Vulvodynia: Diagnosis and Treatment

by Tori Hudson, ND

Vulvodynia or vulvar pain syndrome is a multifactoral clinical syndrome of vulvar pain, sexual dysfunction, and psychological distress. Recognizing the four specific subtypes of vulvodynia is important in the management approach. The most common four subtypes are vulvar vestibulitis syndrome, cyclic vulvovaginitis, dysesthetic vulvodynia, and vulvar dermatoses. Simple clinical guidelines can be developed to improve the evaluation and treatment of these often long-suffering patients.

Vulvodynia is different from itching or vulvar pruritus. Vulvodynia actually precludes itching because the burning and pain cause an intolerance to scratching. Over the years, the terminology used to describe vulvodynia has varied. The term vulvodynia has now been recommended by the International Society for the Study of Vulvar Disease (ISSVD) to describe any vulvar pain, regardless of etiology.

Vulvar pain usually has an acute onset. The onset can be associated with vaginitis (yeast, bacterial), changes in sexual activity (new sexual partner), or medical procedures on the vulva (cryotherapy, laser). In most cases, the vulvar pain then becomes a chronic problem varying in length from months to years. The intensity of the pain can vary from mild to disabling. It can be burning, stinging, irritating or raw. Most women with vulvodynia have been to many physicians either with inaccurate diagnoses or unsatisfactory treatment. Many women have been left feeling especially frustrated and at times mistreated because they have been told that their problem is purely psychological and there is nothing physically wrong with them. Because of the dramatic impact on their lives these women continue to seek help, and can become increasingly fearful and anxious about cancer or sexually transmitted diseases.

The incidence of vulvodynia is not known but it is clearly more common than is generally thought. In a general gynecological practice the prevalence can be as high as 15% when actively looked for.1 Characteristics of the patients with vulvodynia are nonspecific. The age distribution ranges from mid-20s to late 60s. Their Ob/Gyn history is unremarkable. They generally do not have other chronic health problems, and rarely have a history of sexually transmitted diseases. Sexual promiscuity is generally not a factor in these cases. Often, women with vulvodynia do report depression, but it is just as easily a result of the condition as it is a cause.

The pain reported can be in the general vulvar area, but is typically located in the vulvar vestibulum. The vestibule comprises the area between the labia minora and the hymenal ring, anteriorly from the frenulum of the clitoris, and posteriorly from the fourchette to the vaginal introitus. The urethra, Skenes glands, Bartholins glands and the minor vestibular glands are all located in the vulvar vestibule.

Only minimal findings are detected on the physical examination and most of the time there are not physical findings at all. The cotton tip applicator is used to determine the location of the pain. Touching the vestibulum lightly with a moist cotton-tipped swab reveals a sharp pain most often in the posterior vestibule, anterior vestibule or both. Occasionally red spots of inflammation can be detected at 5 oclock and 7 oclock or in a U-shaped area at the posterior fourchette.

Classification of Vulvodynia
    Vulvar Dermatoses
    Vulvar dermatoses can often cause both itching or pain and can be acute or chronic. Dermatoses are also dissimilar to other causes of vulvodynia because there can be physical signs of erythema, erosion or blisters. A partial list of vulvar dermatoses includes psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, tinea cruris, contact dermatitis, lichen simplex chronicus, lichen planus, lichen sclerosus, pemphigus, and erythema multiforme. Many dermatoses can be difficult to diagnose and may require a biopsy for a definitive diagnosis.

Cyclic Vulvovaginitis

Cyclic vulvovaginitis (CVV) is probably the most common cause of vulvodynia. The pain is typically cyclic and specifically worse during the luteal phase of the cycle. Symptoms are characteristically aggravated by vaginal sexual activity with the pain being usually worse the next day.2,3 CVV is thought to be caused by a hypersensitivity reaction to Candida antigen. If Candida cannot be detected during the symptomatic phase by culture, due to the bodys immune response, then culture specimens during an asymptomatic phase.

Conventional treatments include antimycotics for temporary relief, but symptoms recur soon after the treatment. Boric acid suppositories twice daily for 4 weeks and then once per day for 5 days during the menses only, for 4 more months is generally more successful for chronic yeast vaginitis than conventional antifungal agents. Boric acid suppositories were effective in curing 98% of the patients who had previously failed to respond to the most commonly used antifungal agents.4 However, many women do not tolerate the boric acid that leaks out of the vagina and further irritates the tissue. Lanolin or vitamin E oil or petroleum jelly or some other ointment (calendula) can be used to coat the vulvar tissue at the posterior fourchette where the irritation would be greatest. Other alternative treatments include local treatments such as lactobacillus suppositories, tea tree suppositories, garlic suppositories, herbal combination suppositories or douches (berberis hydrastis, usnea); systemic immune support (A, C, E, Zn, Glycyrrhiza glabra, Allium sativum, Hydrastis canadensis). Swabbing the vagina with genitian violet has been a longstanding specific treatment for candida, as has iodine douching (one part iodine in 100 parts water, twice daily for 14 days). Reinoculation from the anus requires attention to hygiene and possibly an approach that also addresses the gastrointestinal tract. Dietary considerations include a diet low in simple carbohydrates and refined foods, low in alcohol, and low in fats.

Vulvar Vestibulitis Syndrome
    Vulvar vestibulitis syndrome (VVS) is characterized by dyspareunia, severe point tenderness on touch (positive cotton swab test), and erythema. The etiology of VVS is unknown. Some cases are aggravated by yeast vaginitis. Other suspected causes include chemical sensitivities, other irritants, a history of laser or cryotherapy, and allergic drug reactions. Some studies have suggested that VVS may be associated with human papillomavirus (HPV).5,6

Treatment of VVS is difficult and can require great patience and persistence on the part of both patient and practitioner. Conventional treatment is often fraught with overtreatment using antimicrobials and destructive or ablative therapies for suspected HPV. Conventional treatment can escalate to include interferon injections and vestibulectomy for severe incapacitating cases. The most promising alternative treatment that I have experienced in my practice is the use of calcium citrate. In patients whose urine shows evidence of excess oxalate, epithelial reactions similar to those found in vulvodynia are observed. Women have periodic hyperoxaluria and pH elevations related to the symptoms of vulvar pain. 1000mg of calcium citrate daily, in divided doses, is given to modify the oxalate crystalluria. A low oxalate diet is an additional cornerstone to managing these cases.7

In addition, I can cite cases in my private practice where an eclectic treatment plan of a topical ointment (vitamin A, tincture of thuja and lomatium isolate), oral beta carotene (75,000IU to 150,000/day), eliminating food intolerances, and a constitutional homeopathic remedy, have yielded anywhere from 50% improvement to 100% improvement. Unfortunately, I can also cite cases where there was only minimal improvement. I have heard anecdotal reports using elaborate chemical desensitizing methods and dramatic improvements, but I have not personally investigated these cases. Psychological intervention must always be considered for assistance in dealing with the illness, and perhaps therapeutic intervention can then allow the immune system to adequately address the chronic syndrome.

Dysesthetic Vulvodynia
    This subtype of vulvodynia is more common among older women who are either perimenopausal or postmenopausal. Patients have constant noncyclic vulvar or perineal discomfort. These women have less dyspareunia and less point tenderness than the women with VVS. No significant changes are observed on the physical examination except diffuse hyperaesthesia which occurs on a wider area compared to VVS. Sharp pain can also be elicited with light touch. The hyperaesthesia is thought to be a result of an altered sense of cutaneous perception. A neurological basis is probably the explanation for the nonspecific burning. The sensation mimics the neuralgia associated with herpes. Urethral or rectal discomfort is often associated with their vulvar pain.

Conventional medicine often prescribes tricyclic antidepressants8 for dysesthetic vulvodynia. Side effects are a common problem with tricyclics, and occur in up to half of the patients. Theoretical nutritional and botanical alternatives for dysesthetic vulvodynia include Folic acid, B12, Piper methysticum (kava-kava), Ginkgo biloba, Hypericum perforatum (St. Johns Wort).

Physical Therapy for Vulvar Pain
    The use of physical therapy to relieve vulvar pain should not be overlooked. Spasm of the inner thigh muscles or hip muscles can be a result of guarding against the pain of weight resting directly on vulvar skin while sitting. There are specific devices for removing pressure from the vulvar area when sitting. Manual therapy techniques can also be used to relieve pain by releasing severe muscle spasms. Trigger points in the pelvic floor muscles from fibromyalgia can refer pain to the vulvar skin and the vagina. Trigger point therapy and pelvic floor muscle strengthening and relaxation can also relieve pelvic floor muscle spasms.

Vulvar pain syndromes provoke psychological as well as physical distress. Sexual relationships become seriously strained in women with vulvodynia. Women tend to feel defective, less womanly, less sexually attractive ashamed and embarrassed. Dealing with spouses and partners who are having difficulty coping is an additional stress. Anxiety and depression set in with unsatisfactory visits to their health care practitioners and unsatisfactory results. Hopelessness can become the greater illness but practitioners should be cautioned against being overly optimistic in encouraging them to try another promising treatment. If it fails, it further escalates the hopelessness.

Knowledge of the specific subsets of vulvodynia is extremely important in improving the diagnosis and treatment of this complex multifactoral syndrome. Simple guidelines and recommendations augment the evaluation and management.9

Rule out underlying problems
    Biopsy suspicious lesions
    Do not overlook cervix
    Use a multidisciplinary approach
    Differential diagnosis of vulvar dermatoses
    Differential diagnosis of vulvar erosions
    Provide empathy and support
    Educate the patient in their understanding of the problem
    Help the patient to cope with the problem
    Inform them that symptoms fluctuate
    Best questions to be asked
    Are there any days without burning?
    Is the pain related to menses?
    How is the pain associated with vaginal penetration?
    Set simple goals
    Less bad days, more good days
    Getting better takes some time
    Coach them to stick with the treatment

References

1. Goetsch MF. Vulvar vestibulitis: Prevalence and historic features in a general gynecologic practice population. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1991; 164:1609-16.

2. McKay M. Vulvodynia: a multifactorial clinical problem. Arch Dermatol 1989; 125.

3. McKay M. Subsets of vulvodynia. J Reprod Med 1988; 33:695-8.

4. Jovanovic R, Congema E, Nguyen H. Antifungal Agents vs. Boric Acid for Treating Chronic Mycotic Vulvovaginitis J Reprod Med 199;36:593-597.

5. Turner MLC, Marinoff SC. Association of human papillomavirus with vulvodynia and the vulvar vestibulitis syndrome. J Reprod Med 1988; 33:533-7.

6. Umpierre SA, Kaufman RH, Adam E, Woods KV, Adler-Storz K. Human papillomavirus DNA in tissue biopsy specimens of vulvar vestibulitis patients treated with interferon. Obstet Gynecol 1991; 78:693-5.

7. Sollomons C, Melmed M, Heitler S. Calcium Citrate for Vulvar Vestibulitis. J Reprod Med 1991; 36:879-882.

8. McKay M. Dysesthetic (essential) vulvodynia. Treatment with amitriptyline. J Reprod Med 1993; 38:9-13.

9. Paavonen J. Diagnosis and Treatment of Vulvodynia. Ann Med 27:175-181, 1995. Resources The Vulvar Pain Foundation, P.O. Drawer 177, Graham, North Carolina 27253; 910-226-0704.

The Web address is:

http://www.tldp.com/issue/166/166vulvo.htm

NOTE: This academic journal site is for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY!!! No products are sold on it.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Here is what I found on CVV on various places on the Internet. I wrote this post just before I started on the boric acid suppositories.

Note that it says that Diflucan is usually successful. That was the case initially for me too.

However, using Diflucan for too long resulted in Diflucant-resistant yeast. This is always a risk when using Diflucan. I would highly recommend to everyone to not use it except in the case of a real emergency, so that hopefully it will work when you really need it!!!

After a quick review on Google, I'm now thinking that what I have sounds closest to "Cyclic Vulvovaginitis." Since some of you have been looking into this for a while, I would appreciate it very much if you were to let me know what you think.

The symptoms of CVV (all of which match mine) are:

* Vulvar irritation and swelling (yes)
    * Symptoms come and go (yes)
    * Worse around menses (I'm having my period now and it's particularly bad)
    * Irritated with sexual activity (symptoms even worse following day)
    * Common in premenopausal women using estrogen therapy (that's me)
    * Responsive to Diflucan but then symptoms return (I took 100 mg per day for a month this summer and the problem went away, but then it came back a couple weeks after)
    * Little or no discharge (check)
    * Candida frequently doesn't show up on lab tests, or there's only very small amounts (my ob/gyn told me "well, there is a bit of yeast there")
    * Thought to be a result of hypersensitivity to candida antigen (I am definitely "allergic" to yeast and had a big systemic "flare" earlier this summer; it makes sense some could have moved from the digestive tract to the vagina)
    * Not responsive to topical treatments (e.g. Terazol-7, Monistat, etc....I used gobs of this stuff all summer)

CVV is the most common kind of vulvodynia, most of the literature I've read thus far says.

I also just remembered that I'm pretty sure that I haven't had a vaginal yeast infection since I got CFS eleven years ago. (I have had a couple of bacterial ones.) This has always seemed strange to me considering that yeast is a problem for me, but maybe my attempts to control the systemic yeast and attention to hygiene have kept any of it from migrating. So maybe it makes sense that even a little bit of it would (considering my hypersensitivity) cause severe inflammation. I can't figure out why it would be on the vulva rather than inside the vagina from my readings, though....

Most of the articles that I've read suggest that low-dose Diflucan (something like 150 mg per WEEK) for about six months has a pretty high cure rate (maybe 80-90%). This sounds like kind of a wimpy weekly amount to me, but obviously they're afraid of liver dysfunction. (I was once on Diflucan 100 mg per day for 6 months and had no liver problems according to lab tests, but that doesn't mean I'll never have a problem.)

4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I consider getting rid of this thing one of my biggest accomplishments of the past few years of my life, and so am going to keep bumping it for a while.

Congratulate me if you're reading this!!!
  5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Congratulations, Lisa!!!!

I think it is awesome that you finally figured out how to solve this problem, with the help of your good doctor.

I know from personal experience how lousy it feels.

It appears that the combination of Candidase and Virastop that I am taking is healing my vulvodynia. I think it is mainly the Candidase, but can't be totally sure, of course.

(I'm taking them orally.)

My nerve sensitivity was in my vulva, down the insides of my legs, and in my feet and hands. So it seemed more like a systemic thing that happened to include my genitals.

I hope you NEVER have to deal with such a bad infection in that area again!

Thank you for all the great info.

Love,
    Forebearance
  6. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I think I have this. Lately, I'm so red and raw that I sometimes bleed after cleaning my sensitive genital area (and I admit that I used to be able to scrub without problems). So I'm wondering, how do you keep yourself clean and hygenic when you have Vulvodynia? Many say no soap but I cannot imagine standing to be around myself without using some form of soap, even if it's a mild liquid soap like Dr. Bronner's liquid castille soap.
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Forebearance--

This sounds like a good reason for me to try the Candidase. I'm pretty sure my intestinal yeast is under control, but it will be interesting to see if I get any reaction.

sweetT--

Mine wasn't so bad I couldn't use soap. Let me bump my first thread on this (it originated in early November) up to the top of the board to see if anyone gave advice relevant to you.
  8. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I'll do some more internet searches.
  9. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hey, SweetT! This is going to be a bit graphic, but you should know that soap is not necessary or recommended for cleaning the private parts. They are primarily mucus membranes.

Soap is irritating for your bits. Warm water is plenty to clean them. If you are having an odor problem, it is probably either caused by an infection or dead skin trapped in the folds. You can remove any dead skin cells that collect in the folds by gently wiping them clean after bathing or showering.

Dead skin collects everywhere in the body where there is a fold. It's no different than your belly button or behind your ears.

Dead skin is what smells bad. However, don't confuse that with your own natural scent, which smells more like musk. Well, it smells like a human, basically. It's not a bad smell. There's no need to get rid of your natural scent.

Okay, sorry if you knew this already.
    Love,
    Forebearance
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2007]
  10. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

I can sympathize with all those suffering from this. I was diagnosed with it two years ago during a pap smear, and the pain was so unbearable I have not been back since for my annual Pap test.

I did achieve a good bit of relief from this condition using Dr. Overman's Kidney-N-Bladder Formula. She had given it to me for another condition, but it did help with the symptoms of the vulvodynia immensely. I get this from my naturopathic doctor, but I think you can order it yourself. The number I have for Dr. Overman is 330 276-4234. This might not be the right number for ordering the supplement, but they can direct you to the proper number.

It contains tree peony root, horsetail, ashwaghanda root, valerian root, boneset, mimosa bark, epazote herb, hyssop herb, meldot herb, blackberry leaf and cullulase. It did not totally cure it, but gave me pretty good relief for about seven months after stopping using it, at which time I am taking it again now.

I did give some to my friend, who also has this condition, and she said it helped immensely also.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2007]
  11. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Ladies,

Thanks for the tips and thanks again Lisa for this post.

You know, it's hard to get rid of the notion that my private area is supposed to smell like soap and not just like human flesh. I'm constantly scrubbing myself raw and bleeding because of the fact that old habits die hard.
  12. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

terrible problems. My wonderful gyno left the area because of all the problems with malpractice insurance in our area. I found another and he was kind of nuts - I swear he's going senile. Then I found a wonderful female doc again and she left. I can't get into another until March.

I used to get these problems where it felt like I had cuts. From my description, great doc #1 had just read about this type of thing and put me on a cycle of two months of Diflucan which worked.

Lately, I've been having problems again with burning, itching, and real cuts. I had a prescription for two Diflucan left. It cured it but it came back within a week. Then I tried the monistat thing. Same thing. Now I've tried the monistat thing with the natural pills and still having problems. I'm on the waiting list but I don't know if I can stand this until March.

I'm going to print out the parts of the posts I need and take it to the new doc. I thought my problems were because I am diabetic but I've been well under control lately.

Thanks
  13. knicm

knicm New Member

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for sharing what has worked for you. I have had problems in this area for over 15 years, and was recently diagnosed with lichen sclerosis.

I'm interested in trying these remedies - especially the kidney & bladder formula, and am also interested in the cream/suppositories. If anyone else is able to get their hands on these products, please post.

Thanks!

Kristin
  14. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

boy did you ever bring back some bad memories. I was plagued with infections. Then at 35 I left my husband and remarried. I never got another infection after that. I dont know what was in my ex 's sperm but it did not mix with me. I have to say age is a big healer too. as the hormones die down and the area is less moist the infections disapear. Im 50 not and havent had one since 35. I was chronic before that and tried everything. Im so grateful the have that chapter of my life over.
    hugs poodlemum
  15. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Also, girls, forgot to mention, that I've also found that taking the plastic peel off strips off your pads and letting them air out before you wear them also helps immensely. Usually 24 hours will do it.

I read this somewhere, and it really does help. I have to wear pads constantly from leakage problems. It is something about the chemicals the plastic strips holds in, and then when you wear them immediately, you are exposing that sensitive area, that is already inflammed, to those chemicals.

So by taking those strips off and letting the pad air out before you put it on your underware and then wear it, allows those chemicals to escape beforehand.
  16. app5775

app5775 New Member

Wow never heard about about the "strip" removal. Will try to remember that. I sometimes have wondered why I get irritation there when I can't figure out anything else. Since I'm chemically sensitive thats a good point to share. I have questions for Lisa. Where do you find boric acid capsules that you tried for your program? I'd like to try doing something in that regard but I don't know where you find it. Right now I'm trying my own "homemade version" of using plain yogurt and an extra capule of probiotics ( which I empty into the yogurt) along with some Diflucan crunched up. I'm using about 100 mg. Diflucan which is what the suppositories are that you can buy. Seems I'm getting sore from the store bought varieties. I think its due to the acid base cream that is being used. If I try the boric acid in my own mixture, I'm going to use a very low dose and build up as my infection starts to get better....hopefully... I was taking Diflucan and went off of it as I'm having reactions problems to antibiotics again...which is scarey since I can't take much of any of them anymore and besides the Difulcan seems to not be working and the yeast beasts are becoming resistant...constant tug of war. My liver is on overload the way it is and I don't want to compromise that and chance any more problems than I already have. I don't know if applying direct Difulcan "there" in my yogurt mixture will be a good or bad prospect but I can't do more than try. If I use the boric acid along in the mixture I most likely wouldn't put in more than say 50 - 100mg. the first time or two. Any thoughts? The probiotics and plain yoguret seems to sooth that area in the mean time. I use a syringe. I also have some of the other ideas I got on another thread using douches which I will try but for right now I'm trying to kill the hidden yeast overgrowth.
  17. lavender14

lavender14 New Member

I am ,I guess ,glad to hear someonelse is questioning being 'sensitive or allergic' to ex's sperm. I have wondered that myself over the years.

But now after almost 11 yrs.(divorced) no problems.

tks
    jennie
  18. app5775

app5775 New Member

19. SweetT

SweetT New Member

When I have a yeast infection that I'm trying to take care of before it gets to epidemic propertions, I will dip a cotton ball in boric acid and swab my vulva and vagina. I then follow that up with a rinse of vinegar and tea tree oil mixed in water. The following morning, all of the yeast starts coming out when I wipe. I use the rinse for the next two nights. Within 2-3 days, the itching/mild burning is gone.

I have since given up soap. I only use Dr. Bronner's unscented liquid castille soap in that sensitive area.
  20. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Tackling this problem solely on your own seems to me a challenge!

Diflucan appears to work in the vaginal area since my doctor put it in the cream he gave me for the vulva. I don't know if the pills you are crunching up have any other ingredients though. And as you say, yeast get Diflucan resistant fairly easily.

The pharmacist who made my capsules said that boric acid is of course available over the counter but that it would be hard to know the amount without a scale.

Yogurt sounds very messy, but I've heard of using it before in that area. I would imagine it is safe, therefore.

I actually did get somewhere with my homemade potion of Replens (a three-day female moisturizer available in the women's section of pharmacies), the stuff in the capsules of boric acid given me by the compounding pharmacy, and a _lot_ of probiotics. It seemed to be making it worse, but that was because of two reasons:

* Yeast die-off. If it starts to itch like crazy, that means yeast is being killed.

* Acidic irritation of the tender vulva area. The cream the doctor gave me was pretty expensive, and on days when I didn't use it I spread a lot of vaseline all around the outside.

When I first tried that potion, I used vaseline as the base rather than Replens. That was a mistake. Stuff in an oil base doesn't absorb very well.

All in all, I really recommend seeing if you can get a doctor to order those boric acid suppositories that my doctor cooked up. They're far more convenient and also less risky. I hate the thought that I might be cooperating in damage to that part of your body!

Good luck.