Fla. Woman Dies of Flesh-Eating Bacteria.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BLUEROSE7, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. BLUEROSE7

    BLUEROSE7 New Member

    This Morning I was reading this and thought I would share and pass along....Very Scary and something to be cautious of when you have Cuts & open wounds etc...

    JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A 45-year-old Jacksonville woman has died from flesh-eating bacteria that she contracted while riding a personal watercraft on the St. Johns River, officials said.

    ADVERTISEMENT

    Candace Scott died Aug. 3, Duval County health officials said.

    One to three cases of flesh-eating bacteria are typically reported in the county each year, but deaths are rare, said Tim Lawther, director of chronic disease and prevention for the county's health department.

    The bacteria that caused Scott's fatal infection typically enters the body through an open wound and absorbs into the bloodstream, Lawther said.

    Scott's brother, Bill, said she had cut her leg the day she was at the river.

    The bacteria, vibrio vulnificus, triggered an infection known as necrotizing fasciitis, which destroys muscles, fat, and skin tissue. The bacteria is similiar to one the public is warned about when eating raw or undercooked shellfish, health officials said.

    The infection takes its greatest toll on people with weakened immune systems or chronic illnesses such as diabetes, cancer, liver or kidney disease. Scott was recently diagnosed with diabetes.

    "At this point, we're not telling people to stay out of the water because of this one instance," Lawther said. "However, if you don't heal well and you have an open wound you should stay out of the water because that puts you at a higher risk."

    The health department said Scott's infection was not related to blue-green algae appearing in streaks along the river, although people have been warned to stay away from the algae.

  2. Meekah

    Meekah New Member

    Hey Bluerose,

    Thanks for your never-ending important information! You are such a gem to this site and to me!! Your hard work and dedication is a God-send! It just shows what a caring person you are!

    Loves ya!!
    L, H, & P
    Meekah
  3. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    Every week, there is a beach or waterway which is closed due to high fecal bacteria counts. These are, BTW, the same waterways from which we get our drinking water. ACK!

    The Gulf is a cesspool. I won't eat fish from this area either. Presently, there is a big fish kill, presumeably from Red Tide. Our river has a neon green scum of algae floating on the top. Warnings go out to fishermen not to eat what they catch.

    All wounds need to be washed thoroughly and dressed with an antibacterial ointment. Wounds which are exposed to water need to be especially cleaned.

    I love Florida but it's no longer a paradise. The developers and overcrowding, along with agriculture, have ruined it.

    It makes me sad.

    Love, Mikie
  4. BLUEROSE7

    BLUEROSE7 New Member

    Meekah..Thank you for your kind and sweet words!

    Yes Mikie your so right it's very sad and scary!!

    Vicki...Few...Thank goodness they caught it early with your son. It's extremly scary!! I hope others will read this post and be very cautious about open wounds etc...

    Hugs
    Bluerose
  5. Juloo

    Juloo Member

    I read this in the paper this past week. I also remember reading that this bacteria was common where fresh and salt waters meet and had been around for millenia, so it is not something that can just be eradicated.

    Just another reason to stay out of the water around here.
  6. TXFMmom

    TXFMmom New Member

    This lady rode into the perfect storm. Frankly, most of us would have some abrasion or small area which would be enough to permit this bacteria in if we come in contact with it.

    Early in my career, I had a patient who presented with this. I anesthetized her for the first surgery and the second and the fourth and was there when she died. It was the most horrible situation and death. We had given her massive antibiotics, a cocktail of them, in fact.

    Even we, who were accustomed to seeing terrible injuries and sickness, were horrified and shaken by it. This had been a lovely, young mother, vibrant and youthful, and this disease consumed her. I don't remember the source for certain, I just remember the result.

    On one of the surgeries, I had a student anesthetist with me, and she just disintegrated when she saw the wound and then the continued debridement of the wound. I sent her out of the room. We all wanted to disintegrate, but we just couldn't. Not then.

    She was in ICU when she died, but we answered all codes and had to hand ventilate while they did compressions. All of us knew it was futile, but somehow, no one could be the first to admit we needed to stop. Finally, all had worked till they were beyond continuing. I gently cleaned her face, closed her eyes, changed the tape on the breathing tube, which had to be left in until the autopsy, and helped the nurses straighten up, and make her as composed as possible, combed her hair, took away all the medical equipment, all the debris, bathed her, changed her gown, and made the room as serene as possible.

    That was our way of showing respect, and the student asked me if I stayed and helped in all cases, and I said I did if I could, but in this case, I had become first her Anesthetist, then her consoler along with her family, and then just a friend to them. I wanted her family not to remember the mayhem and the sterility of medical equipment, or messy sheets.

    I cried so hard into a wet towel that night, in the early morning, that when I went to do a C-section they all gasped. I told them that I had reacted to a new eye-makeup.

    Later, another student told me that the student with me that night told them that she had learned a lot that night about being a professional, and that we all needed to do our job, but to be moved by it as well.

    Life is a fleeting thing, indeed.
  7. naturebaby

    naturebaby New Member

    ...to this horrible infection. He was a young man, only 38 years old. He didn't have a family doctor so was being treated by walk-in clinics. Was admitted to hospital as an outpatient for antibiotic IV treatments. Was given a clean bill of health and sent home. He died a few days later. I guess the antibiotics hadn't cleared out all the infection after all.

    I have no idea how his general health was prior to this, as I hadn't seen him in a few years.....I was in contact with his parents after his death and they were devastated.

    A former premier of one of our provinces (Quebec)contracted the infection a number of years ago. Lucien Bouchard was also young, maybe in his mid to late forties. His leg had to be amputated, but he did recover.

    If you or anyone you know contracts this infection, I beg you to be vigilant.

    Wishing us all well, nature