Flair up how long can they last

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tammy21, Sep 10, 2006.

1. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

I have'nt been on here for quite a while as things have been really good with FM but silly me over did it the other day and boy I am paying for it now this is my third day of pain in the shoulders and neck and feeling had it. this is probably a silly question but generally how long does a flair up last for?
    Thanks
    Take care
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I find flare up can vary from person to person as well as with yourself. I have had flare ups that lasted a few days and a couple that have lasted over a month.

The ones that lasted over a month seemed to be triggered by something that was drawn out for a few days (eg. being in low levgels of CO for a week). Where the ones that lasted a few days were triggered by just slightly overdoing it.

How you deal with them seems to have some bearing on how long they last. Like if you try to push yourself too much while in them then they will just get worse.

I find meds and rest are the only things to combat a flare up. On the most recent really bad one (month+) my doctor put me on a steroid burst to boost my system and knock me out of the flare up. It worked but it doesn't always work.

Make sure you are taking all your meds, getting rest, not overdoing it and take your pain medication proactively...don't wait till the pain is unbearable to take it.

That's about all the advice I have, hope it helps.