flare after hubby's cancer diagnoses

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jess, Jun 3, 2006.

1. jess

jess New Member

My husband just found out he has prostate cancer. I have been crying on and off for 2 days. Now I am in a nasty flare. I need to be well and strong for him. He is depressed also. I have done lots of research for him and I think I know how we will deal with this. this procedure has the best cure rate. Honestly, I can't live without him. We have been married 35 years and I don't want a life without him. Right now I seem to be bleeding when I go to the bathroom. I do have an internal hemorrhoid but this was a lot of blood. It is time for a colonoscopy but I need to help my husband first. I have already had surgery for diverticulits. I hope it hasn't come back. Anyhow thanks for allowing me to vent here. I really feel kind of desperate now. thanks everyone, Jess
  2. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

it's a terrible shock to the family. you're probably both experiencing it. prostate cancer has such POSITIVE treatments, surgeries, etc. good for you to have looked into all of that for him.

understandable to be in a flare. what you shouldn't do is neglect "a lot of blood" when you go to the bathroom.

i'm certain you already know that but don't wait on seeing the doctor. pick a day next week for the appointment when you've gained some bearing....you can then put that behind you and continue to be loving and supportive to your husband.

prayers,
    kim
  3. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Prostate cancer is very treatable - my hubby's grandfather had it and he lived well into his eighties.

My hubby recently had a cancer scare and I flared badly too.

Ty to take one day at a time, get as much info as you can and a good oncologist. You will come through this together - stronger.

Please take care of yourself and get the bleeding checked. It could be nothing (I bleed occasionally and they have not found anything) but best to be sure.

Try to relax - maybe do some deep breathing or get a relaxation CD, if that doesn't work, maybe ask your doc for help in that department while you are going through a particularly stressful time.

Praying for you both and sending you hugs,

Love Bunchy xxx
  4. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi, I'm new here, only been on this website for about a week. I am finding out that there are truly some very caring people here and am sooooo happy to have found it! You have recieved some very good responses here so take them to heart.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your husbands diagnoses, my heart goes out to you and your family. It is true that the cure rate for this type of cancer is very high and am glad that you are able to seek treatment for him right away. I can only imagine how scared and depressed you are feeling right now. The most important thing you can do for yourself and your husband right now is to take care of your health as well and get to a dr. yourself a.s.a.p. I will pray for you and your husband that all goes well and please let us know how you are doing!

Good luck and God bless, Julie (Earthdog)
  5. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

my husband still hasn't found out if he had a stroke or not, I"m kind of in a flare right now its from the stress of the past few weeks and we still don"t know for sure
    there are also natural things for prostate cancer. my Father in law had it for many years but they kept it under control, best of luck to you and your hubby.Blessing sixtyslady
  6. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

Like the others said, Prostate Cancer has a good cure rate. My grandfather got dx with it in his sixties and lived well until 85. You guys can beat this. Deep breaths:)

Try not to be so hard on yourself. Of course you are flaring--you are under alot of stress. This too shall pass.

Love,
    Kelli
  7. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

My husband and I also just learned last Friday that his biopsy was positive for prostate cancer. He just turned 50 last November. I feel like I know exactly what your going through. I have been doing a lot of research this weekend. It is a very scary thing and such a shock to hear this diagnosis.

It does sound like the treatments are very effective though. It is just so upsetting and so overwhelming at first (and still). But the more I am learning the better I feel. There are some excellent websites that deal specifically with this. Do a search on "prostate cancer" and "stages of prostate cancer".

I'm sure our husbands will be fine but it is going to take a lot to get through this, I'm not kidding myself. You have to take care of yourself so you can be there for him. Please get checked out and see what the bleeding is about. It will help to relieve some of your stress to see what that is about and get it taken care of instead of thinking the worst like we always do!

My thoughts are with you and yours.

Fitzh2o
  8. mainerose

mainerose New Member

to here about this. rember that to be there for him you need to be well too. so please go and have it checked out. i will keep you in my prayers and heart. i know how hard this time can be.

i hope you ahve a shoulder to lean on too.