Flare or Flu?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Oct 14, 2008.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I don't know what is going on with my body. I have some of the worst leg aches, muscle aches, and my bones feel like they have been crushed,it hurts ot breathe, and I generally feel rotten. I am so tired can't sleep I know it is almost 4 am now.
    I have a deep hacking dry cough that I get several times a year. I think that I have chostochrondritis again as my ribs are so tender when you touch them where they attach to the sternum. I am so fatiqued all day and I keep having this headache that comes and goes.

I dont' remember feeling so bad for a long time. The only change I have made is that I have been taking vitiman D 50,000 units a week for the past 3 months. I don't feel better ,or sleep better but I have not had as many flares or colds.
    I can tell the exact spot where I shattered my left wrist and radius, I know where the pins and plate are attached to my bones. They hurt, throb, tender to the touch.

The cough started about a week ago and I have gotten worst since then, I am in more pain, worse aches,pain that is deep inside my bones. I dont' know if this is the beginning of the flu or is it a flare starting? I don't know how to tell any more. What do I do? I have had so much stress from family situations that I am slowly going nuts or so I feel. I don't know if the stress has any thing to do with my lowered immune system or if I am ain the beginning of a bad flare? I am so worried and concerned that I am not getting better and I need to be better to help take care of my Mom . please help me. I am scared and worried, Please don't let this get worse .
    Worried and nervous feeling like death warmed over.

Is this a flare or not a flare that is the question!
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

My son is just recovering from a 2 wk bout of some kind of virus, Dr didn't think it was necessarily the flu. He had high fevers for 6 days and a terrible cough. When I get the flu I get a fever and a cough. I remember before being dx'd w FM that I use to think I was always catching the flu. But I never had a fever or cough, so they were most likely fibro flares.

Have you been having a fever? If I were you, I'd go to the dr just to be safe. Since you have a cough and also pain in various places, it could be a combo of a flare and the flu...who knows? Just don't let it get worse before you see a Dr.

Drink LOTS of fluids and try taking extra vitamin c, maybe that will help a little. Hope you feel better soon and good luck w taking care of your mom, she's lucky to have you.

xxxooo Hermit
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

hi rosemarie

This sounds like a flare to me. It is exactly how I feel when Im crashing. I too get that weird dry hackie cough.

What jumped out was the stress you said your under.Last year like you I was taking care of my father and other family crisis. Then bam the finally melt down.

Please try not to push to hard or do more than you can(i know easier said than done). Your body is telling you enough,I didnt listen and paid a great price.

It also wouldnt hurt to see doc.