Flare or Relapse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by littleleafhopper, Aug 25, 2006.

1. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

Goodmorning,

What is the difference between a flare and a relapse? and how do you know which your having while your going through it?
  2. day2day

day2day Member

Relapse to me is when you are symptom free for a period of time, (so you would be basically in "remission")and then you start having flares.

A flare would be the signs and symptoms.

I know when I am flaring because I experience my signs and symptoms, and am pretty much unable to function, or am in extreme pain.

This is the way I would describe it. Hope it helps

day2day
  3. littleleafhopper

Thanks, thanks for the replys. Daytoday and Carla.

It's nice to meet you both!
  4. day2day

day2day Member

I hope you enjoy this board, it is a great place!!

Some things that cause flare for me are.

Stress, too hot or too cold weather, my chonic shingles. If I have a good day or few days, and try to fit extra things in, it will send me to a flair horrible flair for days on end.

One of my biggest problems of my flares is when I have a BAD BAD flare, it is exactly like how you feel when you are layed up in bed with the flu, that achey feeling where just moving is a task.

This summer our weather has been nice, not too hot for most part, and I have actually had about 4-6 good weeks where I have only been bed bound about a week or two total.

Normally, I have to rest for 5 out of 7 days, or do very minimal stuff.
  5. littleleafhopper

I bumped this myself, because I'm not sure exactly what's going on with me.

This is a 30 year romance that I'm having with CFS, with ups and downs, but this last 6 months. Oh my. So I was wondering just what the difference is between flare and relapse (I'm afraid of the latter), so I could give my tired, wired, brain a title.

I might bump myself again tonight to hit the night crew. Hope you all don't mind.

Lil
  6. littleleafhopper

Somehow I managed to post this twice. I'll work on my computer skills!

Kirbycat came up with the answer:
    Flare is when the DD gets worse
    Relapse is when the DD has gone into remission with no symptoms and then comes back. Ouch that would be tough to take!

Either way it's a bummer. Thanks Kirby! and Lenasvn, I finally found your posts, I'm slow on the uptake....
  7. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I always thought that they were the same thing. And in a sense, by your definition, they are. Kind of. After you've gone for a couple of weeks without any symptoms, then BAM! you can't get off the couch, then you could say that you've had a relapse, or a flare. I just always thought of a flare as a mild form of symptoms.
  8. littleleafhopper

A milder form of symptoms sounds right.

Thanks Lil