FLARE-UP CAUSED BY VIRUS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mellow, Sep 22, 2002.

1. mellow

mellow New Member

Hi,

Two weeks ago I a had a virus which caused loss of voice etc. I have been left feeling worse than ever. The pain is everywhere, I am totally exhausted and find myself having to lay down all the time. The symptoms of the virus have gone but has anyone experienced this before. I am sleeping every afternoon for at least a couple of hours (not a deep sleep) as well as sleeping through the night and I am still exhausted. I am trying to carry on as normal but this is not possible. Can anyone help?
  2. mellow

mellow New Member

Hi,

Two weeks ago I a had a virus which caused loss of voice etc. I have been left feeling worse than ever. The pain is everywhere, I am totally exhausted and find myself having to lay down all the time. The symptoms of the virus have gone but has anyone experienced this before. I am sleeping every afternoon for at least a couple of hours (not a deep sleep) as well as sleeping through the night and I am still exhausted. I am trying to carry on as normal but this is not possible. Can anyone help?
  3. mlw

mlw New Member

Dear Mellow: I think you should go to the doctors and test for mono, EBV, CMV, etc (viruses) to see what is causing this type of exhaustion. Regular doctors don't like to do these test because insurance companies regulate everything. However, I would definitely insist.

MLW
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Yes, Mellow....I have had the same thing happen after viruses and severely after infections. When I ran a temp of 104.7 for 4 days with an e coli urinary tract infection, it came on with a vengence, incapcitating me for over 3 months. I definitely believe flares can be caused by anything that is stressing the body, including viruses and infections.
    Karen
  5. sean

sean New Member

Yes I have recently had something similar to what your describing, in fact it is still lingering a little bit. The pains scared the life out of me. I now know it to be an immune reation, basically my body attacking itself. I can't say whether your problem is the same as mine but I can tell you that total avoidance of sugar, and cutting down on caffeine, and drinking lots of filtered water seems to of helped me. Also although I was exhausted, I soon realised that to much rest wasn't helping, so I gradually started doing gently excercises, increasing all the time. Today I have done fairly vigourous excersice without bad effect, although I always rest/relax, for 30 minutes after excercise.
  6. tired42long

tired42long New Member

Hi Mellow, My "induction" into this disease began with a virus and ever since, any little thing allowed into the house takes me down. I have 4 kids at home and my husband also brings 'bugs' home from work. I can FEEL my body fighting the bugs after the kids get sick. I get REALLY weak while my body tries to fight it off; then I will get the same virus, sometimes a more mild form of it, and then it takes about 2 months before I feel even close to being semi-normal again. I learned through this site that humidity can sometimes bring on a flare. I found this out personally in July. I hear there are some that think different things can bring on flares; viruses, stress, allergy triggers, environmental toxins--even some pharmacueticals, and physically pushing yourself,ect. I think any of these can send you back over the edge, but for me, the viruses seem to be a big flare-factor.