FLARE UP-NEED INFO!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bobolee, Feb 5, 2003.

1. bobolee

bobolee New Member

I have had FM for several years (15). Mine however is usually quite manageable. It is the flare ups that throw me for a loop. It seems that each time I have a flare up they get progressively worse. More pain, more areas, and longer to reduce to manageable. Is this common?????? The first flare up was in my neck/shoulders. Next that and legs, next added arms. This is the first time it has affected my chest and rib area. I did have a car accident in Nov. I am so TIRED and DEPRESSED. I wanted some input as to - does the severity seem to get worse with each flare up?? Thanks for any input.
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

probably everyone is different as far as the flare ups getting worse. For me, each time they were worse and lasted longer. I remember my doctor telling me that as I got older they would get better, well I definitely disagree. I have found that now, age 56, they are much harder to deal with. I use to be able to continue working even during a flare-up but now it knocks me off my feet. For the past year or more I have had constant pain and fatigue, so what use to be a flare-up is now the norm for me. That's my opinion anyway, I'm sure you'll get a lot more.

Dara
  3. EL

EL New Member

HI I'M WANDA YOU CAN E-MAIL ME IF YOU WANT BUT I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. MY FLARE UPS ARE LASTING LONGER THEN WHAT THEY USED TO. PRAY . I HURT ALOT IM RIB AREA TO. IT JUMPS AROUND. TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS
  4. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

You do not say if you got checked after your accident? Did they make sure you did not have any rib fractures or bruised organs? My pain has been in my right shoulder & ribs. I find it helps to stand in a shower as warm as I can stand & let the water not hit directly on the spot, but cascade over it. Then I usually lay down w/my heating pad & try to distract myself w/a good book or video.
    ***Pixie***
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm afraid for me....the flares get worse each time~
    And more areas are involved.They take longer to shake.
    I'm not well tonight either.I think I've caught a bug.my two children both have something too_One has a stomach bug,chills,nausea and weak.The other little guy has a bad chest cold,coughing,stuffy~Seems theres alot going around this time??? Hope were all having a better day tomorrow~
    (I also get the rib pain alot.Once in a blue moon the chest too.)Take care,
    Tracey
  6. tes

tes New Member

I have had fm for about 9 years now. I must say that it has gotten worse with more flares and they last way to long for me. I suffer mainly from chest and severe lower rib pain. I hate when the weather is cold. I live in Toronto, Canada and right now it is -30 with the wind. The past week has been especially bad. Last night I thought I was going to die from the lower rib pain. I cried all night. Nothing would help. I've noticed on this board that many people have gotten worse over the years. Don't know why, but any help would be great. God Bless. Tes
  7. VenusFire

VenusFire New Member

I have found out that when temperatures drop, the Barometric Pressure gets stronger which is why if affects arthritis and FMS. My flare ups normally get worse in November/December as the temps hit anywhere from
    -25F to -55F and colder depending on the wind chill factor. What was suggested to me by my doc, was lots of hot baths, and time with heating pads.

If you had a car accident in Nov. no wonder you're having a flare up. Your body is fatigued enough before traumatic events, but I bet your stress levels flew sky high for awhile after the accident. Stress affects FMS, causing depression, bad flare ups, etc.

My flare ups are bad enough to land me in a depression where I don't want to move ever again because just breathing causes excruciating pain throughout my whole body. Although I have arthritis in my spine (I'm 19 by the way) which prolly makes things worse. What has your doc had to say about the flare up? Have you told him EVERYTHING that has happened since the flare up started including the pain in your chest, ribs, and your depression?

Sometimes docs don't understand the first couple of times you tell them, but if you're that bad, I suggest you march right into your doc's office make an appointment (or rather get on the phone and make an appointment) as soon as possible, go in, talk to him, it doesn't matter if you've told him a hundred times, you have to MAKE HIM UNDERSTAND that it's worse and you need to know what is going on and that you're not leaving until the cause is found.

Sounds a little extreme, I know, but that was the only way I could even get a diagnosis! What type of doctor do you see? I would suggest a Rheumatologist, due to the fact that they are extremely knowledgeable about FMS, Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, etc. A Rheumatologist finally dx'd me after 5 years of pain and misery.

Rachel