Flare vs Normal?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sfrazier, Nov 5, 2005.

1. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have a question and not real sure how to ask it and have it make sense but here goes. I recently changed meds which I think have helped a lot. When I get up I am actually able to walk more then hobble and am able to do a few things around the house like pick up the living room and do some dishes. After that though I'm pretty much done and have to lay down for the rest of the afternoon. Now my question is am I still in a flare or is that a normal life with fibro? I mean there is still pain just not as bad first thing in the morning. Just wondering cause if this is normal hate to say this but life still sucks then. lol. Thanks for all thoughts.
  2. Vada

Vada New Member

When I have pushed myself too far, which isn't very far at all, I am exhausted and just hurt all over. I have talked to my psychiatrist who has many of her patients who have FMS and she tels me that this is very common when one overdoes it and that it can be different for different people. Yes this disorder sucks big time and I am having to adjust everyday. Somedays I don't feel as though I have any energy to do things. LaVada
  3. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

Well here is my explanation which is a translation of my dr.s . "Daily" fb will have ebbs and flows of pain , possibily from really high (an 8) to low (a 4) and cycle depending on activitie, weather, ect.... A flare is when the pain is high and remains constant for 24hrs and more and nothing you do brings it down (at least not any of your usual stuff-heat, ice ,whatever). A flare can last 24hrs or 2-3weeks (heaven forbid) and requires all resources to mange it and live through it with sanity if you ask me.
    I agree the ebbs and flows suck! It still means I am in pain but it also means I will have few breaks where I can actually have a life. I am getting better at preventing flares (usually it's cause I overdo), but preventing them has meant a sever curtailment of what I really want to do. Sometimes this sucks as you said but I have gotten very creative about finding ways to do what I want and not flare up. Unfortunalty FB has a "mind" of it's own and flares sometimes despite my best efforts to prevent it.
    Hope this helps-just my version.
  4. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Thanks everyone. I was rather hoping that I was having somewhat of a normal life finally. This flare then has been going on for a year now. Pills help but I still have to pick and choose what I want to do in a day. Shoot yesterday I washed clothes and now I'm in quiet a bit of pain. I even had my son carry the baskets. I figured it would be okay. That teaches me to think. Oh well at least it's Sunday so I don't have to do too much. The dishes will wait till tomorrow. Thanks for all the responses. Just wish it was better news.
  5. tejanya

tejanya New Member

flares can last a long time or be very short. sometimes we can tell when one is coming by the foods we crave or the fight flite mode that starts. there is not a lot of the normal things we can do, but we feel we have to try. and then we pay for it. either by aches then or days later. i hurt my thumb loading the dishwasher and couldn't use that hand for 3 weeks. i did use the hand brace to keep me from exerting those connecting tissues in my daily nothings. it did help. the braces are for those carpol tunnel things, but it gives extra support to my wrist and allows it to rest. do not let this fibro stop you from living. it just helps us learn moderation and limits. if others don't understand, okay...they mite eventually. some never so. keep checking this site for others input. it has helped me a great deal just to relearn some things from the beginning of this fibro. i try to walk at least 15mins a day. it does help just by loosing up the tight tendons. watch how others opinion affects you and don't let negativity sneak in. smile alot, even if you don't want to, it helps.